MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Ktool's Photostore or StockBoxPhoto for maximum option  (Read 5101 times)

« on: October 08, 2013, 08:56 »
Looking for a stock photo web system for good look and feel and maximum flexibility. Found two systems like Ktool's Photostore and StockBoxPhoto. Both the system has many visible common features but need to know the hidden differences.

The criteria of evaluation might be:

1. Default look and feel.
2. Versatility, efficiency and speed of search option.
3. Search Engine Optimization performance
4. Limitations of image size, numbers etc.
5. International currency selection.
6. Security.
7. Trend and the Future

Thanks.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:59 by FaithNic »

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25 »
+1
I'm not really familiar with StockBoxPhoto, so I can't really comment on them. Ktools has worked pretty well for me, but I'd probably make a Symbiostock store if I was going to start from scratch today.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39 »
Hello,

I used Ktool's Photostore several years ago, about a year. Used their renting service (~$50/month, with all addons, PRO version full install, upgrades, their hosting, help service, support etc). It was very convenient because I had everything in one hand and I did not have extra troubles if something go wrong. Just email them and they fix everything.

I did a lot of work while creating design how I wanted to look. It was not easy but they helped me in everything.  One thing only I can remember that the site was not the fastest on the web. It was fast but not as fast as I wanted ;) But it was several years ago and now they have new versions of Photostore with even more addons so I think they fixed a lot of bugs or some other technical questions.

I was really happy with them and stopped use only because of my personal reasons. It was not their fault..
Now, just at the moment I'm thinking again about using their store. Already a couple of weeks I'm checking their demo, features, addons, and it seems they did a lot of work since that time. Probably will use their renting service again. I think that $50/month is a reasonable price for absolutely full service, beginning with PRO version, all addons and finishing with their hosting. Just one question is about bandwidth and storage, so I will email them.

I didn't know about Stockbox nothing. But just compared a bit them and personally for me Ktools is a winner: because of features, price, services etc. Will check more deeply soon, thanks for link.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:50 »
StockBoxPhoto looks very amateurish and I don't know why would anyone go with that option..

it's never been mentioned here before, so I suspect the OP could be a marketing trick.. it looks ugly..

Ktools photostore is a very good option.. but right now, symbiostock would be the obvious choice..

for me:

1- symbiostock
2- cmsaccount
3- ktools photostore

I would rate photostore higher than cmsaccount but its features does not justify much higher pricing compared to cmsaccount..

symbiostock is FREE! even its premium version is a bit cheaper than cmsaccount, and a lot cheaper than ktools.. plus, it has the networking aspect..

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 11:02 »
+1
Based on being part of WarmPicture (based on Ktools) I couldn't recommend going that route. You customize the store (because it doesn't do what you want out of the box) and then when there's an upgrade you're stuck as there's no path to integrate your changes. It wasn't IMO a great option.

StockBoxPhoto (a) looks awful and (b) doesn't appear to have any real sites using its very expensive software - the "demos" don't appear to be targeting stock, but event and wedding photography. If I were going to spend that sort of money why wouldn't I go with PhotoShelter?

I am in the process of setting up a Symbiostock site, so I've obviously made my choice :)

lisafx

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 22:33 »
I'm not really familiar with StockBoxPhoto, so I can't really comment on them. Ktools has worked pretty well for me, but I'd probably make a Symbiostock store if I was going to start from scratch today.

Yep.  Likewise here.  I have a ktools site, and it looks and runs well for me, but I paid a programmer to do a lot of customization to get it the way I wanted it. 

I would go the Symbiostock route too, if I hadn't already invested so much time and money in my ktools site.  The main advantage being the ability to network with others more easily. 

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:59 »
Thanks cthoman I understand and agree. Will check about Symbiostock for sure.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:02 »
Thanks 4seasons, your positive view regarding Ktools will help. Still not sure though if rental plans will be the best for me.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 04:06 »
cidepix I am from outside USA and still not sure of Symbiostock's features and flexibility in payment gateways etc. May be I should do a portfolio there and will try to get connected. Thanks for your input.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 04:09 »
Jo Ann Snover Thanks for your thoughts. Your point is correct regarding upgrade and StockBoxPhoto's feel. Will check PhotoShelter's offer.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12 »
Thanks lisafx. Will check Symbiostock for sure.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:29 »
+1
Based on being part of WarmPicture (based on Ktools) I couldn't recommend going that route. You customize the store (because it doesn't do what you want out of the box) and then when there's an upgrade you're stuck as there's no path to integrate your changes. It wasn't IMO a great option.

With the power of 20/20 hindsight, I would have done the whole thing through Photoshelter's Virtual Agency option. Everyone would have established their own accounts, and done their own uploading, but we would be linked together as an agency.

KTools is a fine option if you like it out of the box. But as you touched on, customization was a major problem because your work was wiped out by upgrades.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 08:30 »
Thanks djpadavona for sharing your view. Actually I have some uncertainty. The stock price in my own country and in the US or in the European countries are very different. So if I can't do region specific pricing I will have troubles. So I might have to disable online payment for local customers. When all these comes as complex issues (as I don't want to sale cheaper than other local stock agencies are selling, others will not like it), going for a standard stock service becomes difficult. I might do a parallel site for networking with others. Let's see.     

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 04:03 »
Bad stability + bad customer service = Ktools.. >:(

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:23 »
+2
Don't go with Ktools,

Horrible SEO,
Bad support (it's like messaging Hitler)
and finally "if" you manage to customize it, you're stuck with what you got, to upgrade you'll need to do the customization all over again..

Not recommended!