MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: October Earnings  (Read 25976 times)

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2013, 10:40 »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:18 by Audi 5000 »

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2013, 11:04 »
+2

It means that the average of all votes for Shutterstock was $413.50.  $500 was selected to equal 100 in the poll so each point is $5.

How many times will Leaf have to come on and say that you can't work on that assumption before you will believe it?

Ron

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07 »
Given that the data is submitted I wonder why not post the complete raw data anonymized. Even if that means in a format which needs to be processed to be useful. I am sure we could quickly come up with spreadsheets to make sense of it. Then we could see how many people voted and how much they were actually earning at each site.

It seems to me that at the moment the data is made less useful by the way in which it is converted into rankings which are difficult to make sense of.
Agreed.

What does the current 82.7 for shutterstock mean? Not the percentage of earnings, obviously, since the sum is not 100. It should either be clear what the ranking means, or just feed the raw data in an anonymous fashion.
It means that the average of all votes for Shutterstock was $413.50.  $500 was selected to equal 100 in the poll so each point is $5.
If thats the case, why is it so weird that self hosted is at 115$ ?

Sean made 135$ via Photoshelter in October...

People score Selfhosted around 8 based on my results, so then I score Selfhosted at 27 then, based on Sean's result. Almost overtaking IS. YES !!!

Ron

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09 »

How many times will Leaf have to come on and say that you can't work on that assumption before you will believe it?
But Baldrick, reality doesnt fit his agenda.

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36 »

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2013, 12:03 »

This is based on what Leaf has said in the forum.  He said he picked an arbitrary constant number to be 100 and then he said that arbitrary constant number was $500.  Leaf has never disputed that.  What he has said is that it's not exact because the categories are broad, ex. $2000 and 2500+ you can't say for sure if a vote for $2000 means the contributor made $2000 or $2499 so there is some error in that.  He's also said that the top number is $2500+ so that can artificially keep the numbers lower than what they actually are.   The second point probably just affects iStock exclusive earnings since only a very small percentage of independent contributors are making more that $2500 per month on a single site.  Instead of saying it definitely is 100 = $500 maybe I should say approximately $500, would that make you happy?  So 82.7 means that the average earnings of all the responses for Shutterstock is approximately $413.50.

So ... based on your latest pet theory (as usual on a subject of which you know very little) ... the average Istock exclusive must be making over $15K per month because "each point is $5". Duh!

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04 »

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 16:14 »
October was my BME with 31% increase to September and 31% increase compared to October 2012.

Best four: Shutterstock, Zazzle, DepositPhotos, FineArtAmerica

Blog Post: http://microstockinfos.blogspot.com/2013/11/stock-photography-sales-statistic.html
List of agencies I submit images to: http://stock.hlehnerer.com/SA.html

(statistic include referral income)

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 16:17 »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:17 by Audi 5000 »

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 16:21 »
+1

Which brings us back to - why not post the actual raw data anonymised ? Then we could see the actual numbers for how many $ everyone is taking from each site. And we could figure out our own spreadsheet formulas for making sense of the numbers. It would abolish the artificial distinction between exclusives or not etc.

Surely much better than arbitrary rankings and %ages which are difficult to understand or have arguable meaning.

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 16:25 »

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 16:33 »
+2
Do Zazzle, FAA, or Cafepress license stock photos?  I know FAA doesn't so it seems those shouldn't be counted in the monthly earnings thread.

I guess I count it all as passive income, although it is not always so passive. So, Zazzle and anything else that isn't contract work gets counted. I do split out my referral earnings from the agency earnings though. Since, those shouldn't count towards RPD, RPI, etc.

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 16:36 »

Ron

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 16:43 »
+2
Do Zazzle, FAA, or Cafepress license stock photos?  I know FAA doesn't so it seems those shouldn't be counted in the monthly earnings thread.

I guess I count it all as passive income, although it is not always so passive. So, Zazzle and anything else that isn't contract work gets counted. I do split out my referral earnings from the agency earnings though. Since, those shouldn't count towards RPD, RPI, etc.
Just sayin' this is the 'Microstock Poll' so I don't understand including income that isn't microstock related or even stock related.
This is not the Poll, this is just an earnings thread, people like to share income from the outlets. The poll doesnt include POD.

Are you wearing your forum moderator hat today? Which personality will you be tomorrow?

« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 16:44 »
+3

I had no idea that the monthly earnings thread had such strict report policies ;D anyway I don't think it is very relevant because I am sure you know how to subtract ;)

actually POD sites need a picture to be sold (as products) so I don't think it is that wrong to include that on the earnings because in fact that picture was produced for stock purposes and POD is certainly one of them

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 16:56 »

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 17:40 »
I knew it! it was too good to be true, you needed to edit and screw it as always right? ;D

I haven't call them stock sites BUT sites were contributors can sell products using the pictures they have produced for stock purposes, again if they are stock sites or pod sites or other doesn't really matter, money is the final goal right? POD sites like I have called them pay me in $$$$ not in potatoes ;)

« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 17:57 »
+1

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 18:31 »
+4
At the moment. i think you are by far the most enthusiastic public istock exclusive. I am not seeing anyone else post so positively about istock like you do. Not even on the istock forums, not on their facebookgroup or other places.

And any public comment,especially a positive one, is free advertising for an agency.

Hmm __ good point. Tickstock could easily be an Istock admin in disguise.

... or a PR agency  :)
I'm thinking they could find someone better to do their PR don't you?

Not at all. You're well worth all the money they're paying you. I just hope they are paying you as it would be really sad otherwise.

I am no fan of IS but don't you think those comments are pushing it just a bit gostwyck.  The same could be said about your frequent fanboy - SS can do no wrong comments.

"Check this out. SS are currently recruiting for a staggering 93 positions worldwide"

Since when is adding 93 meager positions worldwide staggering?  If we used the same reasoning we could easily conclude that you are a SS admin.

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 19:55 »
+2

I had no idea that the monthly earnings thread had such strict report policies ;D anyway I don't think it is very relevant because I am sure you know how to subtract ;)

actually POD sites need a picture to be sold (as products) so I don't think it is that wrong to include that on the earnings because in fact that picture was produced for stock purposes and POD is certainly one of them

This is how I see it too, and have reported it now for years that way.

First of all I create all the image for the stock agencies. But in addition to this also use them for POD, and my blogs, website, iphone app to generate referral income. I see this all part of the business model "creating and selling stock images". IMHO if I only would report the activity from selling image license, then this would only show half of the picture.

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2013, 03:34 »
+1

Leaf, to be sure I'm understand the meaning of the exclusive number (currently 222.1), it is still in a score of 100 = $500 a month

This means that the score 222.1 = 500 x 2.221 = $1,110.50 reported average income for an exclusive Istocker?

If so then the reported combined non-exclusive total (all the poll results with a number total excluding the exclusive Istock number) is 259.4 which = 500 x 2.594 = $1,297 reported average income for an independent?

correct.

It is a very broad average though.  The top limit of $2500 probably limits a lot of people, both on Shutterstock and for iStock exclusives (perhaps Fotolia as well for some).  Right now it looks like independents are earning a bit more, but in terms of how accurate the poll results are, they are essentially identical.  The poll is just meant to give a rough guide as to how the agencies stack up against each other.  The yearly microstock survey will give a better idea of how exclusive/non-exclusive compare.

Note he says "it is a very broad average" .... "poll is just meant to give a rough guide...."
It can't be both "correct" and "very rough".
How could it be precise when you have to choose whether you earned, say1200, 1500 or 2000 "rounded up or down to the nearest". Given the Bell Curve, the number of roundings up will always exceed the number of roundings down, therefore skewing the result to the upside, except perhaps for the final figure.

So attempting to interpret it down to an exact 50c is going way, way beyond the bounds of accuracy of the calculation. There's a huge, inbuilt "plus or minus X%" where X is probably quite a large number.

In any case, it doesn't matter, because what is important is the ratio of the numbers to each other. It's probably about right to say that for indes SS generates about four times the income of DT and 2.5x that of iS, while exclusivity still seems to be slightly more profitable than independence.

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2013, 04:58 »
+1
I thank you all for taking your time and sharing information.

For not being fluent in English, I apologize in advance for grammatical slips.

I am just another unknown micro photographer with an unimpressive performance, trying to survive. I am new to the forum and I am also beginner in MS, as I am contributor a little over two years. My portfolio is about 1000 files, except in iStock where I have around 500. I do uploads seasonally and it has been hard to establish any parameters.

The statistics provided by different agencies did not say much. I'm not sure if these statistics show a trend in the industry or just reflect my bad luck/performance alone. Anyway I'm terrible in metric or Statistics and here in MG exist a multitude of minds  able to do something useful with these numbers, (at least more than me).

Shutterstock offered me a slightly better return than other Big 4 and the Middle Tier agencies. Except iStock that has deteriorated (in every way) month by month. Aaarrrgh! :o

If is possible take a lesson out of this numbers, please let me know. I would be very grateful..
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9881/cj3q.jpg]
[url]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9881/cj3q.jpg
[nofollow][/url]

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:24 by MB2B »

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2013, 07:37 »
unimpressive? you have a 1k portfolio doing over 2k $ just at SS, guess you must be joking ;D

Ron

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41 »
unimpressive? you have a 1k portfolio doing over 2k $ just at SS, guess you must be joking ;D
I think its 1k at SS, 2k in total .

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45 »
I think its 1k at SS, 2k in total .

that looks like SS only, at least looking at the picture provided