MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How long for Pending Executive Review?  (Read 5467 times)

« on: December 23, 2013, 11:39 »
I have a bunch of exclusive  images at iStock waiting in Pending Executive Review for a month now. Even wrote Support about it and heard nothing. Odd how normal reviews take about one day.  ::)

Are your experiences similar?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:55 »
I guess it depends what the issue is.
I had one punted to Executive on Friday, which I found hilarious since it was a representation of a symbol which is known from the 2nd century CE at least, so you'd expect copyright may have expired by now...

Today it was rejected for 'composition and impact'.
Hmmmm.
I'm pretty insulted actually - it was an exercise I'd set myself in Illustrator then thought to rasterise it for upload there.
Bizarre rejection, it's a simple representation of a well-known symbol which for some reason isn't well-represented on iStock, and those which are there are 'non-traditional' stylings.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 20:29 by ShadySue »

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:29 »
Sue -- it is a guy washing a BMW so you can see part of the headlight and some showing taillight. But attention is on the guy not the car.

ShadySue

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:52 »
Maybe they've taken on some new reviewers who are more nervous than the established ones.
You're not the only one:
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=358238&page=1
and I think I've seen others over the past few weeks.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 13:29 »
and they locked the thread... kinda telling  ::)

ShadySue

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 13:36 »
In the past (ages ago, this recent one was the first I remember for years) I've had to wait over eight weeks, on occasion.

I think nowadays I'm probably 'too conservative'. Last week I was mulling over why one of my files wasn't selling compared to some other images of the same structure, and a friend pointed out mine was the only one which was editorial. Why it wouldn't be editorial, when it's a very distinctive city structure, by an internationally known still-living architect and competed in 2010, I haven't a clue. ::) :-[

ShadySue

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 13:54 »
+1
Slightly related, while reviewing my files, I remembered one file which had sold well (by my standards) at first then totally died. Eventually discovered it had been switched to 'adult content', for which you apparently don't get the courtesy of an informing email.

I accepted it at the time (animals copulating) and there were no 'rivals'.
Now I see there are some rival images, not rated as 'adult content'.
I took out an enquiring support ticket on 6th Dec, which hasn't had other then the auto-confirmatory reply. Couldn't think what else to do, as you can't Scout a file which hasn't been outright rejected.
I want a level playing field, either all adult-filtered, or none. At the moment, since the filter is on by default, a searcher wouldn't have any hint that there are others available if they remove the filter.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 20:23 »
I just had one of those sent in on nov 16 and it was approved 2-3 days ago so that's about 5 weeks.

I did have an image rejected outright and I tried to submit it to scout who refused to review it. I think the rejection was either for copyright or property infringement.  The image was from Hagia Sofia in Istanbul. This structure is about 1500 years old and the christian iconography must be older than the 17th century at least, because that is when the turks overran Istanbul and turned HS into a mosque. it is owned by the Turkish state. The odd thing is that there are 57 pages on Hagia Sofia in the best match with essentially the same subject material. Well, it isn't worth worrying about as it probably wouldn't be seen let alone bought

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:15 »
Maybe they've taken on some new reviewers who are more nervous than the established ones.
You're not the only one:
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=358238&page=1
and I think I've seen others over the past few weeks.

If he has a buyer waiting for the image why does he not sell the image directly to the buyer ?  :o

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:19 »
I have a slightly different experience with Executive Queue (EQ) in iStock. All my raster illustrations have been sent to the EQ where they stand between 3-6 days and generally a greater % (about 70%) have been rejected.

My photographs on the other hand have never been sent to the EQ and I have had only 1 reject (copyright) in the last 6 months.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:31 »
I had a few that were sorted within a day or 2 (guess someone didn't fully appreciate the new lower standards  ;D)

On the other hand have 2 pending in the normal queue since 19/20 October.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 19:00 »
If it helps, I've had one waiting since June 6. I have asked Scout for an ETA on review and apparently the "executives" are not in a hurry to make decisions as I was essentially told that they'll get to it when they get to it and not before then.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:04 »
I think nowadays I'm probably 'too conservative'. Last week I was mulling over why one of my files wasn't selling compared to some other images of the same structure, and a friend pointed out mine was the only one which was editorial. Why it wouldn't be editorial, when it's a very distinctive city structure, by an internationally known still-living architect and competed in 2010, I haven't a clue. ::) :-[

New buildings and famous architects do not make an exception to the law. There has never been a restriction on buildings for commercial use if shot from a public place.
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/12/is-it-legal-to-take-pictures-of-buildings-photography-law-questions-answered-by-experts/

ShadySue

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 05:47 »

New buildings and famous architects do not make an exception to the law. There has never been a restriction on buildings for commercial use if shot from a public place.
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/02/12/is-it-legal-to-take-pictures-of-buildings-photography-law-questions-answered-by-experts/

Indeed, but there are random rejections by iS (and more so, by hearsay on SS) for exactly that.
Indeed, I've had rejections for 'castles', presumably on the grounds that buildings have castellation, which isn't uncommon. One was never a castle and is now, or was when I took it, empty and unused; the other was, but is now an office block. Of course, examples of both already on iS's 'commercial' collection.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:49 by ShadySue »