pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 500px Prime - commercial licensing marketplace  (Read 64153 times)

ultimagina

« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2014, 13:24 »
+5
    500px has great photos, but it is still a closed comunity with photographers congratulating photographers and asking for congratulations in return. The big question is how succesfully can they market this treasure outside the photographer's club to real customers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2014, 14:36 »
+1
500px? Oh right.. I've forgot about it, thanks!
It got quiet quickly.

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2014, 17:03 »
+1
I've uploaded a few files from my fine art portfolio (http://500px.com/elenaelisseeva) - it's fun to watch the "pulse" and so on, however, international shipping costs for prints are plain prohibitive. It seems that quite a lot of 500px users are not from US - so 500px really need to find a way to ship cheaper internationally. Noone will every buy a print if the shipping can double the price.

« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2014, 09:19 »
+5
I've uploaded a few files from my fine art portfolio (http://500px.com/elenaelisseeva) - it's fun to watch the "pulse" and so on, however, international shipping costs for prints are plain prohibitive. It seems that quite a lot of 500px users are not from US - so 500px really need to find a way to ship cheaper internationally. Noone will every buy a print if the shipping can double the price.

I totally understand that. It's even expensive for me to buy my own prints and ship it to Canada, as our printer is based in Austin, TX. We are looking for a European and a Canadian printer to partner with, to help reduce shipping times and costs. Stay tuned.

« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2014, 09:46 »
Thanks for the update Alex! Good to hear you're looking for better shipping options.

« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2014, 23:11 »
+1
I just came across this ask me anything interview of 500px's founder. Although there's not a lot about Prime but it does have a pretty good story of how the company started out and what they are planning to do

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/277oad/hi_i_am_evgeny_tchebotarev_cofounder_of_500px_an/

« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2014, 20:19 »
+2
500px needs to give us something like other agencies are offering, ie, free platform to sell the images. I just uploaded some of my images and was hit by 20 images per week counter. The upgrade page is asking for money. Having no stats of success or failure of 500px, I do not know whether there is break even point. There are two things 500px can do.

1. Make completely free for photographers to upload the images.
2. Review the images for Prime section and filter them to market.

Unless I see people eating expensive lunch, I am not motivated to try it.  At present, only people from 500px staff may be having some fun.

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49 »
This makes no sense:
"Lassen Sie inspirieren. Lass entdeckt."

(german language; http://500px.com/)

Lassen Sie sich inspirieren. Entdecken Sie.. something like this

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2014, 09:51 »
500px needs to give us something like other agencies are offering, ie, free platform to sell the images. I just uploaded some of my images and was hit by 20 images per week counter. The upgrade page is asking for money. Having no stats of success or failure of 500px, I do not know whether there is break even point. There are two things 500px can do.

Unless I see people eating expensive lunch, I am not motivated to try it.  At present, only people from 500px staff may be having some fun.

hm do i read this right? Contributor has to pay to upload images? What .?

« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48 »
[

hm do i read this right? Contributor has to pay to upload images? What .?
+1

What!?!?

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2014, 13:17 »

Very good points! If it'll help you submit your images to Prime, I'd be happy to give you unlimited uploads on your account. Can you email [email protected] and mention this forum, and I'll do that for you. Thanks!

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2014, 13:28 »

Very good points! If it'll help you submit your images to Prime, I'd be happy to give you unlimited uploads on your account. Can you email [email protected] and mention this forum, and I'll do that for you. Thanks!

Hi Alex,

your site looks great, you have done an excellent work, and I am ready to pay(support your work) that my images get over to Prime, unfortunately I cant get where or in which step I should do it, should I just upgrade to plus or awesome and that it?

Thanks,

Kalevi

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 13:29 »
Hi Alex,

your site looks great, you have done an excellent work, and I am ready to pay(support your work) that my images get over to Prime, unfortunately I cant get where or in which step I should do it, should I just upgrade to plus or awesome and that it?

Thanks,

Kalevi

Yeah, if you're ready to upgrade you can just go to 500px.com/upgrade to do so. If you're just upgrading to get unlimited uploads, Plus is all you need. Email me at [email protected] and I'll give you a promo code too!

« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2014, 07:13 »
Hi Alex,

I have 10 000 images to upload, but the thing that stops me is the lack of a watermark.
What I need is just to upload and automatically to be watermarked, resized, metadata extracted and so on...this is the part of website on my opinion.

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2014, 07:26 »
Hi Alex,

I have 10 000 images to upload, but the thing that stops me is the lack of a watermark.
What I need is just to upload and automatically to be watermarked, resized, metadata extracted and so on...this is the part of website on my opinion.

That's quite the undertaking! Each image does need to be submitted individually to Prime, to ensure you submit the right releases, etc. We do automatically add a watermark to all images displayed on 500px Prime though. Maybe start with a few of your best and see how it goes!

« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2014, 09:12 »
I will start to upload step by step all I have.

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2014, 09:55 »
Now I'm thinking about the white isolated images that I have and some other classic old stock images will not fit to the 500px vision. So, will upload just a part of my portfolio.
May be here is the place to ask, are images like this suitable for 500px? This image sells good on the microstock sites:

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2014, 09:57 »
Hey everyone! I've just spoke with our director of content for Prime about how we can help you submit large batches. Here's the deal. We're working on a better bulk uploader to make submitting thousands of photos easier, but it's not ready yet (ETA a couple months, is my guess). If you have a batch of licensable photos you'd like to submit to Prime, but don't want to deal with upload and submitting them individually, email [email protected] (ATT Alex). If you can send us all your photos (whether it's on Dropbox, or mail us a hard drive, or whatever works for you), we'll go through them and ingest the ones we want in Prime for you. We'll be doing this on a case by case basis, based on the number and quality of photos, but email me and we'll see what we can do to help you. Thanks!

« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2014, 10:01 »
Now I'm thinking about the white isolated images that I have and some other classic old stock images will not fit to the 500px vision. So, will upload just a part of my portfolio.
May be here is the place to ask, are images like this suitable for 500px? This image sells good on the microstock sites:

You're right that it doesn't quite fit our vision. Check out http://500px.com/editors for examples of the type of stuff we're looking for.

« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2014, 10:09 »
Thank You Alex for the live support  :)
I will contact: [email protected] about the big batch upload.

« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2014, 07:25 »
I've just upgraded my account and send email to [email protected] about the big batch upload. Hope will not take a long time to start the upload.

« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2014, 00:51 »
I just got email and looking for info:

"Buyers will be able to purchase a variety of license options and photographers will always earn 70% of the royalties for any photos licensed from 500px Prime, one of the highest royalties paid out in the industry."

Where is list of the prices? Lately I sold one for 2,99$ if I remember correct (blocked that option immediately). If 500px sells licence for $3 and shares info about highest % in industry... well...
I mean, % is not everything.

« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2014, 01:07 »
+1
Got that mail too ... sharing it here for everyone else

e are excited to share that our commercial licensing marketplace, 500px Prime, has been very successful, doubling in sales month over month. In line with our mission to empower photographers and curate a collection of inspiring, original and beautiful photographs, we are making some changes to the 500px Store.
In order to harness 500px Prime's success and maximize commercial opportunities for our community we are focusing on royalty-free and rights managed photography licenses. On August 23, 2014, we will be saying farewell to 500px Art and personal downloads, effectively combining all of our commercial initiatives into 500px Prime. Buyers will be able to purchase a variety of license options and photographers will always earn 70% of the royalties for any photos licensed from 500px Prime, one of the highest royalties paid out in the industry.
In preparation for these changes, we invite you to submit your photos to 500px Prime. This ensures that you continue to benefit from 500px's revenue opportunities. To help with this transition, photos currently available on your store will be visible to our Prime buyers. This will allow us to work directly with you and the buyer to complete the sale, even if the licensing forms have not been completed yet.
We are here to help you with this transition. If you have any questions or concerns, please email [email protected]
We look forward to collaborating with you to cultivate 500px Prime as the leading premium photography marketplace!
Thank you for your support, we are honoured to have you as part of our community!
Barbara Ott
Product Manager - 500px Prime

I think the only real change is that all the other avenues for selling licenses on 500px now get combined under prime. Sounds like a good move. Also I'm really happy that they are sticking to the 70% royalty agreement for all the sales.

« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2014, 07:29 »
+1
I just got email and looking for info:

"Buyers will be able to purchase a variety of license options and photographers will always earn 70% of the royalties for any photos licensed from 500px Prime, one of the highest royalties paid out in the industry."

Where is list of the prices? Lately I sold one for 2,99$ if I remember correct (blocked that option immediately). If 500px sells licence for $3 and shares info about highest % in industry... well...
I mean, % is not everything.

The $2.99 personal downloads is exactly what that email was about :-) We're getting rid of those and focusing on commercial licenses now instead. They sell for $250. We're also working towards introducing a web/social one-time use license for $50.