pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: WAMS - World Association of Microstock Submitters (?)  (Read 3505 times)

ACS

« on: February 27, 2014, 15:11 »
+4
WAMS - World Association of Microstock Submitters

Is it something doable? Can an association like that bring solutions to some of our problems, needs?

For example;

@ Can that kind of an instution might be a useful, workable ground or base to protect our rights against possible unfair practices of the middleman; the Agencies?

@ In case of a fraud, theft, inappropriate usage of our products, whenever we need legal advocacy, can such an entity assist us?

@ Can such an initiative make regular meetings with agencies, governmental bodies, even with equipment producers, software developers and talk to them about our common, valid issues about royalty shares, pay out limits, rejection reasons, tax issues, equipment and software needs etc?

@ Would it also be usable for such as training & educational activies for the submitters?

There may be cons and pros of course; Such an organisation lets say with 10K members from all over the World, can be a good thing for the sake of solidarity, but on the other hand, you may say, it can be a bad idea because it may help to bring new submitters in by somehow promoting the opportunities in the business? I don't know.

There are financial issues, legal issues and many other issues. It may be a good idea but not feasable financially or it may be feasable financially but ineffective as legally, so does not worth the effort?

I belive, if there is going to be such an initiative in the future, this beautiful and unique platform will be the base & root for it.

What do you think?

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a topic for this subject in my search.

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 16:38 »
+8
http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2011/03/stock-photographers-advocacy-group-saa-shutting-down.html

You might want to read more about that as it seems hard to imagine that if they can't keep that going it'd be possible to get something going for microstock contributors.

The other huge issue, IMO, is that there is such a divergence of views and interests that I don't know what core of issues you could get a group to rally around - and I assume pay for.

Rinderart

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 20:45 »
+2
http://pdnpulse.pdnonline.com/2011/03/stock-photographers-advocacy-group-saa-shutting-down.html

You might want to read more about that as it seems hard to imagine that if they can't keep that going it'd be possible to get something going for microstock contributors.

The other huge issue, IMO, is that there is such a divergence of views and interests that I don't know what core of issues you could get a group to rally around - and I assume pay for.

Unfortunately!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 23:37 »
+4
A wonderful idea, sadly impractical.

Will this be an all volunteer organization?  If so the only things done will be by people taking time from their work.  That gets old fast.

If you will have paid staff then you need an association executive.  Average salary 100k.  Add in office rent, staff, utilities, website, expenses, travel and you are at 200k with nothing done except having an association.  Now you need budget for all the things you want to do.  And some means to decide what it is you want to do with the money.

I have worked with a number of trade associations and been on the board of two.  In all cases it seems most of staff efforts are directed toward generating enough member dues to fund the organization.  Many if not most are shrinking or closing their doors.

If you have a plan that gets 10,000 microstockers to pony up $50 annually count me in because you must be a genius.

vilainecrevette

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 00:13 »
+3

The sad reality.
Perhaps you can start a poll to see how many contributors want this service and how much per month they want to pay for that, for having a better idea?

Uncle Pete

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:23 »
Basically any professional organization will need some officers and dues. It should incorporate and have rules of conduct and standards. Bylaws.

It doesn't have to be huge, and doesn't need a building or offices. The only power comes from a group effort with a common goal and something to bargain with. But it will take money and dues to function at all.

So if IMPA =  Independent Microstock Photographers Association, (made that up) is to have any use or ability to lobby for members, it needs bargaining power in dealing with the agencies. What would that be?

Otherwise it's just a club of like minded people.

You want stock photo associations? Pick one.  :)

http://www.stockphoto.net/Associations.php

Wasn't there one of these that said they wouldn't accept anyone who submitted to Microstock?

I would have linked to SAA = Stock Artists Alliance, but it seems they have disappeared and their website is listed as available.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:52 »
+3
The other huge issue, IMO, is that there is such a divergence of views and interests

I totally disagree with you.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 12:43 »
+4
The other huge issue, IMO, is that there is such a divergence of views and interests

I totally disagree with you.

funny man :)

ACS

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 17:17 »
So it seems it is like an utopia, at least for now.

Thank you all for your thoughts.