pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock New Sub. Model Just Announced!  (Read 40626 times)

« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2014, 14:01 »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 23:39 by tickstock »

« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2014, 14:24 »
+2
maybe you should post some kind of anonymous bio somewhere, so we at least get some idea what we can ask you about.
You can ask me anything, I might even answer you some of the time.
Who are you tickstock?

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2014, 14:31 »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 23:39 by tickstock »

« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2014, 15:38 »
+1
Cute ;)

My Very Best :)
KimsCreativeHub.com

« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2014, 16:03 »
+1
maybe you should post some kind of anonymous bio somewhere, so we at least get some idea what we can ask you about.
You can ask me anything, I might even answer you some of the time.
Who are you tickstock?
A stock photographer.

How do you think the new iSrock sub. model will affect your revenue?

« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2014, 16:04 »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 23:38 by tickstock »

KB

« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2014, 17:36 »
+10
<snip>
they'll be 75 cents and $2.50.  Not great at all but not Shutterstock levels yet.
Of course this is all speculation on my part, but I don't think sales volume will be SS levels, either.

Unless IS is somehow successful in luring away SS buyers (I hope so for my sake, but highly doubt it), what's going to happen is that the new sub sales are going to come from whatever few new buyers they can attract, but mostly from existing IS buyers that they convert to subscriptions. Who would be interested in that? The buyers who buy the most files now. So I fully expect that credit sales will plummet even further (much further) than they have.

And despite SS' Jon's assertion that 99.9% of their business is commercial, my own portfolio definitely has a large portion of non-commercial sales. So I also expect that many of those non-commercial buyers will decide to take advantage of Getty's giveaway, hitting my port with a double-whammy that it will never recover from.

Like I said, purely guesswork. But educated guesswork, IMO. And I do expect to be proven correct in the next few months.  ;D  :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 17:38 by KB »

« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2014, 18:01 »
+5
I find it remarkable that any thread on Getty, Istock, whatever agency, ends in a Shutterstock bashing. Why not open dedicated threads on the Shutterstock board here about that? Why does every thread about ANOTHER agency end up with discussing Shutterstock?

When I open a thread on a certain topic I expect to read on topic comments, its annoying to constantly read off topic.

Please, be critical about SS, but do it on topic.

I find your remarkable discovery is true. Every Getty or IS thread becomes a bash SS thread for some reason. Must be some kind of desease that can only pick on SS and drive attention from GI and SS screwing of us. In istock section istock new sub model and they go negative into SS.

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07 »
+2
<snip>
they'll be 75 cents and $2.50.  Not great at all but not Shutterstock levels yet.
Of course this is all speculation on my part, but I don't think sales volume will be SS levels, either.

Unless IS is somehow successful in luring away SS buyers (I hope so for my sake, but highly doubt it), what's going to happen is that the new sub sales are going to come from whatever few new buyers they can attract, but mostly from existing IS buyers that they convert to subscriptions. Who would be interested in that? The buyers who buy the most files now. So I fully expect that credit sales will plummet even further.
Like I said, purely guesswork. But educated guesswork, IMO. And I do expect to be proven correct in the next few months.  ;D  :(

So what would you do?
Drop the exclusivity and contribute to other agencies?

KB

« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2014, 07:05 »
+4
<snip>

Unless IS is somehow successful in luring away SS buyers (I hope so for my sake, but highly doubt it), what's going to happen is that the new sub sales are going to come from whatever few new buyers they can attract, but mostly from existing IS buyers that they convert to subscriptions. Who would be interested in that? The buyers who buy the most files now. So I fully expect that credit sales will plummet even further.

So what would you do?
Drop the exclusivity and contribute to other agencies?
I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do. I'm too disgusted at the moment to think straight.

I was independent for several years before becoming exclusive (taking advantage of IS's bait & switch grandfathering ploy). One of my main reasons for doing so was that I did not like giving away so many files at maximum sizes for subscription prices. How ironic. Starting over from scratch with my so-so portfolio (except at SS, where my port is in limbo) -- honestly isn't much of an option. So I have no idea what I'm going to do.

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2014, 07:15 »
+3
So I fully expect that credit sales will plummet even further (much further) than they have.

They will enroll the new iStock sub. model in April. It will take 2-3 months for a buyers to finish their current credit balances and to switch to the new sub. model...
I expect in June with summer slowdown we will see a huge drop in revenue and massive exodus of exclusives from iStock flooding the market with their ports.

KB

« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27 »
+2
So I fully expect that credit sales will plummet even further (much further) than they have.

They will enroll the new iStock sub. model in April. It will take 2-3 months for a buyers to finish their current credit balances and to switch to the new sub. model...
I expect in June with summer slowdown we will see a huge drop in revenue and massive exodus of exclusives from iStock flooding the market with their ports.
Excellent point; it will take time for many credit buyers to use up their credits before switching over to subs. So we'll probably see an extended period where sales drop off more and more, gradually at first, and then accelerating.

Not something I'm looking forward to.  :(