pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: gallery needs & wish list  (Read 2656 times)

« on: April 19, 2014, 21:24 »
Do you currently use a gallery generating app or software to display or sell your photos?  if so which one? 

what would you like to see or be able to do that current offerings don't permit?  I'm looking to see if there's a niche being missed with a simple gallery app that doesn't reuiqre any hosting by the photographer

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 20:20 »
+1
I don't do photos, but about a year ago, I looked for a site that would let me license an image to one person only, and then display a "sold" icon on the image thumbnail thereafter. Photodeck and Photoshelter didn't have that capability when I looked. Some shopping cart apps have that capability, but it's not quite the same.

Artists and premade book cover designers would find it useful.  I myself gave up on the idea when I decided I didn't want to handle customers' personal info, troubleshoot download issues, or deal with chargeback scams.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 20:23 by Ava Glass »

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 13:39 »
I don't do photos, but about a year ago, I looked for a site that would let me license an image to one person only, and then display a "sold" icon on the image thumbnail thereafter. Photodeck and Photoshelter didn't have that capability when I looked. Some shopping cart apps have that capability, but it's not quite the same.

Artists and premade book cover designers would find it useful.  I myself gave up on the idea when I decided I didn't want to handle customers' personal info, troubleshoot download issues, or deal with chargeback scams.

I guess that could be done as part of a gallery -- but you could also do it by putting a 'sold'  watermark on the original and re-uploading the image? 

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 16:44 »
+1

I guess that could be done as part of a gallery -- but you could also do it by putting a 'sold'  watermark on the original and re-uploading the image? 

But uploading is all manual and stuff. I think we got Woo Commerce to automate it ("sold" was either on or next to the thumbnail). Still, the icon itself wasn't as important as preventing others from purchasing a license right after someone else.

Anyway, I decided a while ago that I don't want to run my own site right now, so it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm just throwing the idea out there because of my experience in the self-publishing world.

Premade book cover designers only sell a design once. There is also a demand among authors for exclusive photos and art that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. I know one site that offers exclusive stock photos for $300 each, but they work though email, which is what a lot of the premade book cover designers do too. There might be a niche in automating that process, but it could be too tiny.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 16:58 by Ava Glass »