MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Keyword wiki - is it possible to complain?  (Read 18797 times)

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 18:19 »
It's not that you are against being helped with your keywords, but who ask them to come in and correct your keywords unsolicited, right?

If it were a reviewer who did that at the time of submission, I can accept that. But , like most of you here who is pissed off, I think it's because
some wise ass wikidiot just poke the nose into where no one asked them, right?

No.  Anyone may suggest corrections, and I'm fine with that.  My complaint is about IS staff (reviewers or whoever) accept wrong suggestions, or accept deletion of widely used stretches.

What was added when rose was removed?  Something more specific or nothing?  Nothing = error.

Added keywords:
right: Nobody (Image), Studio Shot (Indoors), Front View (Viewpoint),
wrong: Focus On Foreground (Selective Focus) -> focus is on the rose, which is not on the foreground but rather more midway into the image
wrong: Series (Composition) -> unless it refers to a series of images, this image had just one flower

About IS' CV, as far as I know, although Brazil is under South America, if I don't explicitly type both keywords (or type S.A. and under it pick also Brazil), if one searching for South America won't find images with only "Brazil" as a keyword.

Do these searches:
"south america" beach
brazil beach

and see that this image appears only in the second list.

Why it has Brazil in it beats me, but that's another thing.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 23:55 »
Then it's not Controlled Vocabulary. 

Controlled Vocabulary is a heirarchical keywording system.  Which means *by definition* that keywords are embedded deeper & deeper into a heirarchy.  lol 

I'm going to have to email IS about this or something. 

If you search chihuahua, yes you should get chihuahua photos only.  I'm saying the other way around - if you search dog, you SHOULD get all those chihuahua photos TOO.  Let's put it this way:

If your keywords are animal, pet, dog and you search chihuahua, you SHOULD find your image.  That's *what* Controlled Vocabulary is.  It's not some random "way" of doing keywording that Istock made up.  It's a brand name.  http://www.controlledvocabulary.com  That's what they do - heirarchies. lol

SJ - you're exclusive?  Why don't YOU email this to Istock and see what they say?  They'll get back to you about 8 times faster than they will me.

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 09:02 »
Here's the thread where we discussed this once:
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=44189&messageid=643393

You're welcome :)

lisafx

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 09:40 »
That thread seems to cover the issue alright. 

More than a year and a half later and the searches still aren't cleaned up enough to enable that feature?   How sad.....

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 10:30 »
So basically I'm right it works that way and you are right it doesn't on Istock because of keyword spammers.  LOL  Very cool.  I love microstock.  Yep, I'd add dog back to that image. lol

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 15:23 »
So basically I'm right it works that way and you are right it doesn't on Istock because of keyword spammers.  LOL  Very cool.  I love microstock.  Yep, I'd add dog back to that image. lol

I don't remember ever reading in their explanations when CV was introduced that it would work that way.  That would be a smart thing in many cases (like with "Brazil", not having to add "South America" and "Latin America", or the dog/chihuahua example).  But then I have to keyword for other sites, so I would have to add the parent terms anyway.

Regards,
Adelaide