MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock Reviewers Beating Me Up.... Anyone Else?  (Read 214646 times)

« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2014, 14:56 »
+8
When a whole batch of 30 gets rejected with the same reason, you know something is wrong.

Rinderart

« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2014, 18:26 »
Best Example.

« Reply #352 on: July 13, 2014, 19:49 »
And it's really hard to imagine that a human would be pressing the same button for all those rejections in a batch of 30.

Goofy

« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2014, 20:06 »
+2
When a whole batch of 30 gets rejected with the same reason, you know something is wrong.

I've done that before- forgot to take the lens cap off and did a full session without  a memory card  ;D

Gino

« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58 »
+2
Some months ago I was one of those lamenting all the time about rejections.

Since this time I have changed some little things:
1) I have change my mind and my approach to stock photos
2) I have bought a better camera
3) I have bought good prime lenses
4) I came less on forums to complain and complain directly to [email protected]

The points 1 to 3 have led to produce better stock images. And maybe it tells me that the Shutterstock standards are growing.
The point 4 gave me the possibility to explain my point of view, and to get the point of view from the inspector with eventually some advice.

Finally:
> I get all the Images that I consider to be acceptable accepted
> I get the images that I consider borderline sometime accepted, sometime rejected, sometime accepted after some little adjustments based on the inspectors advices.
> I get the images lets try, who knows rejected because they deserve to be rejected.

But it can happen that for incomprehensible reasons some acceptable images are rejected. In this situation I dont even contact [email protected] or put a note to the inspector, I just resubmit the image as it is, and it is generally accepted.

So, before to always give the fault to the inspectors, what I did before, I think that it is better to try to be more objective about the own work, and maybe wait some days before to submit the images because with a little more reflection it is always possible to change the own vision.

+1 This should be the end of this discussion. I have exactly the same experience you put under "Finally". Yes sometimes you have stupid rejections but just resubmit and if they are good they get accepted next time. Complaining about it here is a waste of time. If you get sick of rejections you are probably getting to many of them and you should look closer at your work. The reviewers might just be right sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:02 by Gino »

« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2014, 04:47 »
yep, gino is right....i was lamenting too, but indeed my images had some mistakes...last images i submitted 100% acceptance rate  ;)

« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2014, 15:17 »
+1
Is this thread still alive?

Ill say it again, then.
rejections are about supply and demand.

If your pictures gets rejected, they are not in demand. Just forget the "official" rejection reasons.
And there is nothing mysterious about that, when there have 20 mill pics online.
Your pictures can be borderline with camera, postprocessing, legal documents, keywords and content.
Which is all "content".

The agencies sell "content", and they accept "content" that is profitable and reject the unprofitable "content", and you are likely to provide unprofitable  content if you photograph everyday things from western culture, have an ordinary camera/ lens combination and ordinary subject such as western looking woman with headset.
Now, feel free to call me an idiot, and feel free to continue whine about rejections of your splendid photos of garden tools, instead of stepping up some steps on the ladder and photograph something in demand and usefull, or even better, make a trend in colours and subject that can open a  floodgate of downloads for your pictures. It has been done before, but not by people stuck in whining, but by people who were kicked in the arse.

« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2014, 20:06 »
Is this thread still alive?

Ill say it again, then.
rejections are about supply and demand.

If your pictures gets rejected, they are not in demand. Just forget the "official" rejection reasons.
And there is nothing mysterious about that, when there have 20 mill pics online.
Your pictures can be borderline with camera, postprocessing, legal documents, keywords and content.
Which is all "content".

The agencies sell "content", and they accept "content" that is profitable and reject the unprofitable "content", and you are likely to provide unprofitable  content if you photograph everyday things from western culture, have an ordinary camera/ lens combination and ordinary subject such as western looking woman with headset.
Now, feel free to call me an idiot, and feel free to continue whine about rejections of your splendid photos of garden tools, instead of stepping up some steps on the ladder and photograph something in demand and usefull, or even better, make a trend in colours and subject that can open a  floodgate of downloads for your pictures. It has been done before, but not by people stuck in whining, but by people who were kicked in the arse.

I say ANYTHING Photographed in and around the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Land of the Free Home of the Brave is a Good Photo and will sell like Hot Cakes on a Cold Swedish Winter Morning to a bunch of Hungry Vikings!
Just think Steaming Hot, Hot Cakes with Butter, Canadian Maple Syrup and Sardines. Yummy  :)
Ps Hi Jens

« Reply #358 on: August 08, 2014, 19:18 »
+1
Some months ago I was one of those lamenting all the time about rejections.

Since this time I have changed some little things:
1) I have change my mind and my approach to stock photos
2) I have bought a better camera
3) I have bought good prime lenses
4) I came less on forums to complain and complain directly to [email protected]

The points 1 to 3 have led to produce better stock images. And maybe it tells me that the Shutterstock standards are growing.
The point 4 gave me the possibility to explain my point of view, and to get the point of view from the inspector with eventually some advice.

Finally:
> I get all the Images that I consider to be acceptable accepted
> I get the images that I consider borderline sometime accepted, sometime rejected, sometime accepted after some little adjustments based on the inspectors advices.
> I get the images lets try, who knows rejected because they deserve to be rejected.

But it can happen that for incomprehensible reasons some acceptable images are rejected. In this situation I dont even contact [email protected] or put a note to the inspector, I just resubmit the image as it is, and it is generally accepted.

So, before to always give the fault to the inspectors, what I did before, I think that it is better to try to be more objective about the own work, and maybe wait some days before to submit the images because with a little more reflection it is always possible to change the own vision.

That is great advise. I now have about 90% approval in SS, it used to be 10%.

But they still have ridiculous reviews. I had a whole series approved, and the last 4 were rejected for composition. I found that unreasonable and I submit again. This time composition was fine but they needed "editing" whatever that means. So I resubmit them a third time explaining the situation only to find out the sole reason for rejection is noise - THERE IS NO NOISE!

I feel offended when something like this happens.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52 »
Last batch all but one got accepted. A day later a whole batch (after half a day's editing) gets rejected. Coupled with dire sales there ain't much incentive to upload to SS anymore.

« Reply #360 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05 »
to me look that they are getting back to accept almost everything..i uploaded 40 img and only few were rejected (i thought more coz' were not perfect images)

« Reply #361 on: August 29, 2014, 06:07 »
(i thought more coz' were not perfect images)

Maybe you should raise your standard?

« Reply #362 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05 »
+1
My last 50 all accepted.  One rejection for no model release because I forgot to attach it, but it was accepted later that day.

Valo

« Reply #363 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20 »
+11

Maybe agencies should to pay us better first? Or should we keep raising our standards, but agencies can keep the earnings on 2005 levels?

Shutterstock have made it extremely clear there will be no raises and no extra tier when they were asked. Under what incentive should we then raise our standards when they ask us? The 120 dollar royalty mystical carrot which only happen to the select and few?

« Reply #364 on: August 29, 2014, 11:57 »
+6
[Maybe agencies should to pay us better first? Or should we keep raising our standards, but agencies can keep the earnings on 2005 levels?

Their ball, their standards - we can choose not to meet the standard for the money being paid...

« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2014, 15:06 »
+2
You can choose not to meet the standard true, but likewise, they can choose not to accept those images and then you have no sales. I worked hard to get my head around what they wanted and my acceptance rate has climb to about 95% with them.

It can be frustrating but you do always have the option to walk away.

« Reply #366 on: August 29, 2014, 16:23 »

Maybe agencies should to pay us better first? Or should we keep raising our standards, but agencies can keep the earnings on 2005 levels?

Shutterstock have made it extremely clear there will be no raises and no extra tier when they were asked. Under what incentive should we then raise our standards when they ask us? The 120 dollar royalty mystical carrot which only happen to the select and few?

oh, u mean there is one higher than $105 ?
seesh, & i thought getting two $82 carrots in 6 months was something surpisingly charming,
then again, if i removed the mystical carrot(s)
the last 6 months sales are a sorry sight, indeed  :o

« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19 »
+4
There must be some butcher machine working, some random number generator and not human... Their rejections have no sense to me at all  >:(  Looks like someone said: limits time, accept 50/50, no matter what but reject at least half... I have nothing agains normal and reasonable rejections (after 7 years I have some experience) but sometimes it's boiling my blood!  >:( They reject files that are best sellers after resubmition, and the same history is rolling over and over again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:21 by Ariene »

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #368 on: January 28, 2015, 08:10 »
+3
Same problem for me. My vectors are all accepted, but jpgs are rejected. I email them with each rejection, and every time I get a note that the rejection was a mistake and to resubmit with a note for the reviewer. But if almost 100% of the rejections are mistakes, what's up with that reviewer? It's a waste of my time and the time of the person who takes the trouble to email me about the mistake. It really does seem like someone figures they should have a certain percentage of rejections, so eenie meenie miney moe...

« Reply #369 on: January 28, 2015, 09:14 »
+3
Shelma, that's exactly why I'm so confused! It is the same, just the same with me. Rejection-email-mistake-resubmit-approve-sales (up to hits)... Some kind of stupid game here, really  ::)

« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2015, 09:26 »
+2
I am also having the same rejection problem.

MxR

« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2015, 09:40 »
Remember: Inspectors are contributors (of differents levels)and contributors are human.

first recognize that 80% of the stock photos are horrible, (because 80% of payments are miserable ...ok) but if something is true is that only shutterstock has the worst reputation for arbitrary rejections.

We must also recognize that sometimes horrific photos are approved ... or sometimes you can see a portfolio with 11000 similar pictures from yogurt approved.

it's crazy. I do not care about the mass rejections because I do uploads mass number of photos.

« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2015, 10:32 »
+2
I still get the odd rejection now and then but reviews seem to be much more consistent than a few months ago.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2015, 10:45 »
+2
Remember: Inspectors are contributors (of differents levels)and contributors are human.

first recognize that 80% of the stock photos are horrible, (because 80% of payments are miserable ...ok) but if something is true is that only shutterstock has the worst reputation for arbitrary rejections.

We must also recognize that sometimes horrific photos are approved ... or sometimes you can see a portfolio with 11000 similar pictures from yogurt approved.

it's crazy. I do not care about the mass rejections because I do uploads mass number of photos.

Well, we're all human, more or less. But when my eps files are accepted and *exactly the same file* in jpg format is rejected...and all those rejections are then labeled "mistakes"...then someone is rejecting things just for the heck of it. I'm not sure what the point is, either. it just puts a strain on the people who need to re-inspect all those files, the person who spent time creating something and now has to spend more time re-uploading and re-keywording, and the next inspector, who has to go through the same files again and approve them.

« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2015, 11:19 »
+2
i don't know about illustration but about pictures this is my experience:

crappy studio isolation = 98% acceptance rate
studio composition   =  60% acceptance rate
outdoors and landscape = 10% acceptance rate