MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: FAA promotional email -why we should sell our work there  (Read 9702 times)

« on: May 19, 2014, 12:18 »
+1
I received a lengthy promotional email as to why we should sell our work through FAA. I deleted it but thought about it for a few minutes and it really started eating at me. Can someone post that email please? It shows the poor character of the FAA owner by continuing to attract paying customers all the while knowing he has a FVcked up site, specifically search. Seems that all he is interested in is getting more revenue through paid memberships than getting those very members a fair shot at placement. Once this thread gets going I am linking it to him in a personal message. This is almost like promising something he cannot deliver.

http://fineartamerica.com/why-every-artist-and-photographer-in-the-world-should-be-selling-on-fineartamerica.html?id=7263b70711b588fea9090f2ac6c3986b
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 13:12 by Mantis »

Ron

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23 »
Didnt get it, but would be interested in reading it. I have a feeling that I will I share your sentiments.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 14:26 »
seen it 49 times already, I wish they don't send it once again...

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 15:23 »
+9
Have you ever joined a health club, thinking you'd swim laps in the pool a couple times a week?  You pay the big upfront fee and start going in the evenings.  Pretty soon you find out that the pool is so overcrowded you have to wait in line; the sauna is always full;  people are dumping their kids to splash around while they ride stationary bikes in another room; the pool isn't very warm because heat costs money.  After a few months you stop going.  And the club could care less, because all its efforts go into recruiting new members, and they make their real money off of the signup fees.

FAA isn't quite like that, but there are similarities.  The guy focuses on what he thinks will make him more money in the near future. Period.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 15:28 by stockastic »

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 16:11 »
faa shows 900px images without watermark.. what the .. coffee..

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 01:40 »
faa shows 900px images without watermark.. what the .. coffee..

Really? Maybe author decided to not have watermark on his/her images? There is that option. Did you know?

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58 »

Interesting. It is my first time getting it.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 06:59 »
+2
Have you ever joined a health club, thinking you'd swim laps in the pool a couple times a week?  You pay the big upfront fee and start going in the evenings.  Pretty soon you find out that the pool is so overcrowded you have to wait in line; the sauna is always full;  people are dumping their kids to splash around while they ride stationary bikes in another room; the pool isn't very warm because heat costs money.  After a few months you stop going.  And the club could care less, because all its efforts go into recruiting new members, and they make their real money off of the signup fees.

FAA isn't quite like that, but there are similarities.  The guy focuses on what he thinks will make him more money in the near future. Period.

That's a good analogy. He takes your 30 bucks and that's basically it.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 11:07 »
+3
I'm not sure if I'll renew for a 3rd year (next January) but it's not true for me anyway, that I haven't received anything in return for my $30 a year. My sales are more than enough to make the deal make sense financially, although things have gone quiet since the end of March.

I didn't get the e-mail but then as I'm already signed up I'd hope they'd skip me :)

Each time, the first sale has paid for the annual fee and the rest is better than low earners like CanStock most months.

The site looks outdated and I'm not sure where they're going with licensing, but  FAA is more than just some scheme to make money from the fees.

If Crated does well, I'll drop FAA ('cause Crated has no fees) but I'll need to see how that plays out between now and next January to decide.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12 »
I'm not sure if I'll renew for a 3rd year (next January) but it's not true for me anyway, that I haven't received anything in return for my $30 a year. My sales are more than enough to make the deal make sense financially, although things have gone quiet since the end of March.

I didn't get the e-mail but then as I'm already signed up I'd hope they'd skip me :)

Each time, the first sale has paid for the annual fee and the rest is better than low earners like CanStock most months.

The site looks outdated and I'm not sure where they're going with licensing, but  FAA is more than just some scheme to make money from the fees.

If Crated does well, I'll drop FAA ('cause Crated has no fees) but I'll need to see how that plays out between now and next January to decide.

This is interesting. I deleted my credit card from their site and all of a sudden I am getting this email. Bet that is why i got it.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:24 »
+2
There are some good things about FAA and some bad things.  For me, right now, the worst part is the extremely dated and clunky look.   They just recently rolled out some minor changes to the gallery pages and are talking like it's a big deal - so apparently all we're going to see is an update from a 1997  style to maybe 2002 :-)     

Look at your 'profile' page (when you're not logged in).  A mass of  clutter surrounding little square thumbnails - your images aren't even 20% of the page.  Compare that with a Crated gallery - it's laughable.   

I want to see a new POD site come in and do things right.  But Crated.com isn't going to be the one.

U11

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 12:15 »
I deleted my credit card from their site
trying to remove my credit card - looks like it is impossible without contacting their support

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:21 »
I deleted my credit card from their site
trying to remove my credit card - looks like it is impossible without contacting their support

Hmmm it gave me a pop up option when I clicked update card then it let me select remove. I better double check.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 19:01 »
+2
I have been with FAA for over a year and I must say that I made over 10 times the $30 fee I paid. Just like any other site, you have to market and promote the site or you won't make much.

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 01:20 »
+1
I had one sale on FAA in about a year. I pretend it doesn't exist - It's not hard.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:05 »

first comment on this promotional email is from March 12th 2013

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26 »

first comment on this promotional email is from March 12th 2013

Well, like I said, I was already a paying contributor so why bother with me until I became a non paying member last week. My guess is that their system picked up on that and I am now on their spam list >:(

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46 »
+1
also their buyers are probably a bunch of losers, there are many other better places where they can buy prints.

as a potential customer i would be totally turned off by their clunky web site and their barebone search.

FAA suc-ks.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:50 »
also their buyers are probably a bunch of losers, there are many other better places where they can buy prints.

as a potential customer i would be totally turned off by their clunky web site and their barebone search.

FAA suc-ks.

I was going to say I believe that you are wrong, but then I reflected on my print purchases in the past and I always went to the source and paid a premium to them, whether landscapes, underwater or aerospace. I could have gotten them, or something similar, from FAA but I ended up supporting the artist directly. It just feels good to speak with the image creator and more value added to get the print directly from them. I would love to see FAA succeed but I have always purchased my prints from the original source now that I look back. I am sure there is a broader need for a good POD site, though but FAA is simply drying up and not keeping up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:52 by Mantis »

U11

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 17:46 »
there is no way to remove a Credit Card from FAA by yourself
you need to contact their support (or close the account completely)
And if you doing it in advance you loose some (paid already) benefits
Their functionality needs some upgrade

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 19:09 »
+3
there is no way to remove a Credit Card from FAA by yourself
you need to contact their support (or close the account completely)
And if you doing it in advance you loose some (paid already) benefits
Their functionality needs some upgrade

I'm in the middle of a discussion with FAA support about this. I asked them to remove my stored credit card. They replied that they didn't store the credit card; their payment processor (Netbilling) did. I asked them to get Netbilling to remove it from their servers or tell me how to contact Netbilling to get that done. I asked as a security issue - I no longer let 99% of the places I do business with store a card number - and pointed out that this isn't at all an unusual request.

I don't want to close my account, just remove my credit card. Even Apple finally gave in on that one and let users remove the card from the iTunes account...

marthamarks

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 19:32 »
+1
I'm in the middle of a discussion with FAA support about this. I asked them to remove my stored credit card. They replied that they didn't store the credit card; their payment processor (Netbilling) did. I asked them to get Netbilling to remove it from their servers or tell me how to contact Netbilling to get that done. I asked as a security issue - I no longer let 99% of the places I do business with store a card number - and pointed out that this isn't at all an unusual request.

JoAnn, when this is resolved, please come back and let us know how it turned out. No company should be able to store somebody's credit card without the card holder's approval.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 20:21 »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 00:49 »
I ppay and my files go right to the oottom. They have alwags said we should be doing the promoting. OTOH their SEO is good.