pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is there too much yellow in this image?  (Read 3835 times)

« on: August 18, 2007, 17:02 »
When I uploaded this image to iStockphoto a month or two ago, I didn't think it was too yellow. But when I was visiting one of my relatives, I checked it out on his computer. And it looked almost too yellow. Perhaps, it was just his monitor. Stockxpert rejected this image because of the yellow tinge, but iStockphoto accepted it. And it has sold a couple of times on iStockphoto, so it can't be that bad(hasn't sold on Stockxpert yet). Thanks for your critiques.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup.php?id=3705025

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 18:06 »
yeah it is a tinge yellow.  I assume that background should be white.  Compared to the istock white background it definatly doesn't look white.  I took it into photoshop and made the white white.. and i think it looks better.

If you go over the background and look at the values for R G and B (red green blue) they should all be equal in the white

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:01 »
If I didn't know better, I would think this was a commercial for "Calibrating your Monitor".
...I often wonder sometimes, if reviewers are required by those that hire them, to have their monitors calibrated properly.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 05:51 »
If I didn't know better, I would think this was a commercial for "Calibrating your Monitor".
...I often wonder sometimes, if reviewers are required by those that hire them, to have their monitors calibrated properly.

I've wondered that as well, Apparently not in this case, although I'm not sure IS would reject for subtle colour tints anyway would they?  Some things like that seem to slide with them...

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 06:33 »
yeah i agree, their monitors should be color calibrated, but i don't think any of the agencies require that.

But either way, even if you don't have a calibrated monitor, you can see if the white is white by looking at the numbers when you edit an image yourself in photoshop.

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:13 »
yeah i agree, their monitors should be color calibrated, but i don't think any of the agencies require that.

Stockxpert is the only one that rejected the image for the yellow tint. I fixed it, and they accepted it. I was just kind of surprised that iStockphoto would accept it but not Stockxpert. I always think of iStockphoto as one of the more picky agencies(with Shutterstock being the most picky).

Fixed image:
http://www.stockxpert.com/browse.phtml?f=view&id=3065311