MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: WorldCup - Executive Pending.  (Read 3126 times)

lucato

• [<o>] Brasil

« on: June 27, 2014, 05:50 »
Does iStock inspectors think that the keyword "World Cup" (Championship term) is FIFA trademark?

All my images (fans in studio with a costume) are going to executive pending and other receiving the rejection about FIFA trademark. What a pain!

Is anybody else facing the same?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:00 »
Yes, it came up on an iS thread a few weeks back (but forum search is so awful, as usual I can't find it.)
World Cup for sure, but also Brazil 2014, even Football 2014 seem to be considered 'risky', so better set as editorial, which may not be possible with your particular content.

Found (re deactivation): http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=361002&page=1

"The restrictions are extremely tight surrounding anything that could possibly be interpreted as referring to the World Cup. Images that we used to consider acceptable no longer are.
When we have to start enforcing new, tighter restrictions, it's almost always the result of contact with the rights holder, along with careful deliberation by iStock's legal team. I agree it's surprising what we now have to reject in this realm, but iStock has determined where it wants to draw the line on risk. There are many many subjects iStock will not accept into the creative collection which displeases many contributors, however it's iStock's site and it's their call - sorry I don't really have more encouraging news than that."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:04 by ShadySue »

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:40 »
I see the images at least got accepted on Shutterstock, so it's not a total loss. I've been uploading my port to istock recently, and I've been getting some overly cautious trademark rejections, especially on images that were proven sellers on Shutterstock. Their loss, driving more buyers off the site to get specific content like your soccer shots.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:43 »
iStock is over-stepping on this one but not because of any legal issues with FIFA. Getty has some kind of deal with FIFA to be the "official" photo agency of the World Cup, so Getty has to make sure that nothing even remotely related to soccer in 2014 shows up on iStock and elsewhere in the Getty family.

Other companies, like Shutterstock, are a lot more allowing of World Cup related images.

Valo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:52 »
+3
World Cup and Brazil 2014 are trademarked. I would believe it is not allowed for any agency to accept those terms as commercial RF or RM.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/marketing/01/37/85/97/2014_fifapublicguidelines_eng_17052013.pdf

• 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
• 2014 FIFA World Cup
• FIFA World Cup
• FIFA
• World Cup
• 2014 World Cup
• World Cup 2014
• Brazil 2014
• 2014 Brazil
• Football World Cup
• Soccer World Cup
• Copa 2014
• Copa do Mundo
• Mundial 2014
• Mundial de Futebol Brasil 2014
• Copa do Mundo 2014
• HOST CITY names + 2014 for each of the host cities (e.g. Rio 2014,
etc.)

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:35 »
His just say "Brasil." You can see them on his Shutterstock port.

Valo

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:49 »
The OP asks about World Cup, which is trademarked.

ShadySue

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:42 »
Other companies, like Shutterstock, are a lot more allowing of World Cup related images.
SS is rather lax. I see they also have a couple of "Glasgow 2014" files as non-editorial, contrary to https://d7k5k971lnexm.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/documents/Brand-Protection-FAQs.pdf

lucato

• [<o>] Brasil

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:42 »
World Cup and Brazil 2014 are trademarked. I would believe it is not allowed for any agency to accept those terms as commercial RF or RM.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/marketing/01/37/85/97/2014_fifapublicguidelines_eng_17052013.pdf

• 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
• 2014 FIFA World Cup
• FIFA World Cup
• FIFA
• World Cup
• 2014 World Cup
• World Cup 2014
• Brazil 2014
• 2014 Brazil
• Football World Cup
• Soccer World Cup
• Copa 2014
• Copa do Mundo
• Mundial 2014
• Mundial de Futebol Brasil 2014
• Copa do Mundo 2014
• HOST CITY names + 2014 for each of the host cities (e.g. Rio 2014,
etc.)

Thanks for your reply. That is rediculous to trademark a world like World cup or Football World Cup , it is the same as wanting to trademark God, Jesus. How are you going to specify in keywords something related to it? IMHO it should be protected when applied on a campaing, ad or something else and not just for a single world or keyword. 

lucato

• [<o>] Brasil

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 05:44 »
Yes, it came up on an iS thread a few weeks back (but forum search is so awful, as usual I can't find it.)
World Cup for sure, but also Brazil 2014, even Football 2014 seem to be considered 'risky', so better set as editorial, which may not be possible with your particular content.

Found (re deactivation): http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=361002&page=1

"The restrictions are extremely tight surrounding anything that could possibly be interpreted as referring to the World Cup. Images that we used to consider acceptable no longer are.
When we have to start enforcing new, tighter restrictions, it's almost always the result of contact with the rights holder, along with careful deliberation by iStock's legal team. I agree it's surprising what we now have to reject in this realm, but iStock has determined where it wants to draw the line on risk. There are many many subjects iStock will not accept into the creative collection which displeases many contributors, however it's iStock's site and it's their call - sorry I don't really have more encouraging news than that."

Yes, iStockforum is a pain to find something. Thanks for your reply. I'll check it out.

lucato

• [<o>] Brasil

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 05:47 »
iStock is over-stepping on this one but not because of any legal issues with FIFA. Getty has some kind of deal with FIFA to be the "official" photo agency of the World Cup, so Getty has to make sure that nothing even remotely related to soccer in 2014 shows up on iStock and elsewhere in the Getty family.

Yes, all other agencies are accepting with keywords World Cup, or they are not warned about the protected term or other. If it is a protected term we cannot even use it here. kkkkk. Fifa should explain better the protected terms and uses.

ShadySue

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 20:08 »
+2
Yes, all other agencies are accepting with keywords World Cup, or they are not warned about the protected term or other. If it is a protected term we cannot even use it here.
Now you're just being silly.