MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Deposit Photo's - 3% Royalty Confirmed  (Read 33900 times)

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 16:32 »
I actually did a live chat and was informed that that is not the case with any API programs

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 16:50 »
+2

As of today, July 25, 2014, per DP: "Based on your feedbacks, we are reconsidering our daily and monthly plans to have a win-win offer for buyers and the sellers."

******(does this mean the Chang/improvement is done already.)

Here was their entire response to me:

"First of all, I would like to mention that we have changed our API policy, so our re-sellers are able to purchase our files by credits only to re-sell them on their websites.

*******(this sounds like our images can be purchased with credits and sold on the buyers website without continuing to give us a cut, .... I did a live chat and was told this is not the case.

Our monthly plans allow our customers to download images on a monthly basis. For instance, $49 subscription allows to download 5 images per month, while with credits they will pay $60 for 5 vector files. So, this subscription is the most convenient plan for designers with tight budgets who download images rarely. Unlike credits, monthly downloads expire every mo

*******this is the same setup we have now that we don't want.

Why do I care....I'm running out of agencies to quit (that actually generate real sales) and really want things to work on this one, I am hoping they are sincere about future changes.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 17:05 »
+5
"...Concerning your royalties: I recommend you to reactivate all your portfolio and join our updated API re-seller program to start selling again. I can't promise but if you expand you portfolio and your sales grow, you will be moved to the next level with higher commissions."

Did I read that right?

Is he saying you'd maybe be given a boost other than by the normal process of more sales if you give them another chance?

And if he can't promise, what exactly is that statement worth?

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 17:59 »
+7
"...Concerning your royalties: I recommend you to reactivate all your portfolio and join our updated API re-seller program to start selling again. I can't promise but if you expand you portfolio and your sales grow, you will be moved to the next level with higher commissions."

Did I read that right?

Is he saying you'd maybe be given a boost other than by the normal process of more sales if you give them another chance?

Since I was opted out of API and partner sites, and only on DP, Vikky is simply saying that by reactivating my images AND OPTING BACK IN (expanding) to API my sales MIGHT grow enough to get to a higher royalty tier. It's the carrot. We know how that usually ends up. 

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 19:28 »
+3

Did I read that right?

Since I was opted out of API and partner sites, and only on DP, Vikky is simply saying that by reactivating my images AND OPTING BACK IN (expanding) to API my sales MIGHT grow enough to get to a higher royalty tier. It's the carrot. We know how that usually ends up.

like doubling sales on 123RF or cutting our percentage at DT being good for us?

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 20:08 »

Did I read that right?

like doubling sales on 123RF or cutting our percentage at DT being good for us?

Yes just like that. ???

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 01:06 »
+3
Can help myself again, sorry...

"I can't promise but if you expand you portfolio and your sales grow, you will be moved to the next level with higher commissions"

I can't promise but if you mark up my prices and my sales grow, you will have chance to sell (more of) my work with this higher commissions

Or don't bother.

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 10:55 »
+5
Can help myself again, sorry...

"I can't promise but if you expand you portfolio and your sales grow, you will be moved to the next level with higher commissions"

I can't promise but if you mark up my prices and my sales grow, you will have chance to sell (more of) my work with this higher commissions

Or don't bother.

That's about the size of it.  I've stopped uploading to DP over this cr*p.  The agencies just push and push.  When they push too far they back off and give in just a tiny little bit to get us back to business as usual.  Then they they slowly start pushing again.

MxR

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03 »
+1
im deactivating files and when i click out 500 .... 404 error!

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2014, 14:04 »
+6
I've stopped uploading as well. I've never been a believer in
deactivation. Far too much time and effort has gone into building
up the portfolio. This will send a softer message perhaps but a
clear message nevertheless.

DP has been exceedingly disappointing. They really appeared to
be an agency on its way to top tier status when I began 3 years
ago. An agency that was finding buyers for some of my images
that no other agency could find.....like I say, exceedingly disappointing.

MxR

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2014, 17:02 »
+1
0 images on line.

If anyone is in Google and find my images and only want 5... i will receive more than 0,30 of 9.95

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 22:24 »
+12
I've stopped uploading as well. I've never been a believer in deactivation. Far too much time and effort has gone into building up the portfolio. This will send a softer message perhaps but a clear message nevertheless.

DP has been exceedingly disappointing. They really appeared to be an agency on its way to top tier status when I began 3 years ago...

I'm really not concerned with sending messages anymore. I hate to say it but I just can't be bothered. There are too many jokers* in this business, too many to think we'll ever really send them any sort of message that they'll care about enough to make serious changes. They'll always pull these tricks and schemes until they get caught and then offer up some mea culpa. Delete images, don't delete them, it doesn't matter. DPC lost 7 million images, and are they slowing down at all? Did they change anything significantly enough to win us all back?

If anything I think the effort to send a message is, in itself, a bad message. We work way too hard trying to get these companies to change. And for what... a slightly less crappy deal? At a time when we've got many more better options, companies offering better royalties, better pricing, and we've got better things to aim for like Stocksy, Offset, Creative Market, etc., why beg for pennies?

We know what DP is. They've always been like this, it's just easier to see now. I'm not going to beg them for some consolation, some minor effort to change what they're doing just so they can find another way to reach their goal later on. And they will, they'll always find new ways to screw us.

I'm fine with just taking them out of my upload rotation and moving on. If they don't get the message, that's fine too.

* I used to be a parking valet and "joker" was the term used for anyone trying to sneak into the valet lot without actually using the valet service and to avoid paying, but not having to park in the non-valet lot. I really like the term for microstock companies trying to sneak one by us, pulling these 3% royalty schemes, partner program shenanigans, inclusion in dollar clubs, etc.

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 05:09 »
Wait, what? I know there is a plan that says 5 images A DAY for 1 month, which would be 36 cents per image (for the buyer), but now we're talking a subscription of 5 images in ONE MONTH?

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45 »
+9
Just had a live chat. I expressed my disgust at the low 3% subscription royalties and urged them to sell them as Image Packs so we'd be getting a fair royalty for those sales. She would pass it on to the 'developers'. I don't think they are going to change anything so it looks like I'll have to pull my port in order to stop this theft. They're only 3% of my microstock income but it still sucks donkey ass.

MxR

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09 »
+8
I deactivated all my files... 15 minutes clicking... a good month in deposhit is a bad day in shutter...

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 07:17 »
+10
I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is nothing this sorry bunch can say or do at this point to ever make me upload another of my images to their site, and I cannot understand the mindset of people who, knowing what we know, are still with them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:23 by MarcvsTvllivs »

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 07:38 »
+9
I have stopped uploading to Depositphotos since this fiasco started. This is the first time ever I'm also considering pulling my whole portfolio (I have invested much time in uploading and keywording, but 3%? - No thanks!)

Many of the sites have pulled incredible stunts like this, but this might be the worst one yet...

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42 »
+4
My live chat went something like this:

Woman: "Don't worry, most clients will want credit sales instead of a monthly subscription, because they don't want to be tied to a subscription plan."
Me: "Why, is there a minimum amount of months for a subscription then?"
Woman: "No, they can cancel their subscription after one month."

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 09:48 »
+1
Now this is really bad. I thought istock has the worst kind of commission in the market.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18 »
+11
This situation is a great opportunity for contributors to get together and exercise their power.  As a minor site, DP is likely far more vulnerable to focused, sustained contributor action than a larger site.  The key is SUSTAINED action.  Nobody cares about deactivation days, as we've seen.

DP isn't just cheating contributors, it's cheating against their competitors by not sticking within the fuzziest lines of ethical behaviour.  Competitors can't really respond in a meaningful way so it's really up to contributors to slap down this form of abuse.

Sustained action would involve things like:

1. Deleting your entire port (I did).

2. Tell your buyer contacts that DP cheats contributors (I do this).

3. Get on social media and warn others about DP's behaviour. An angry tweet or two a day at @Depositphotos  from a core group of determined contributors will add up over a sustained period of time (I'm willing to do this as part of a group).

4. Gently but firmly let "scabs" know that they are betraying their fellow contributors.  Do it on this forum and take it to social media too, if you have to.

I'm sure there are lots of other things that can be done.

Putting a big dent in DP would give contributors a sense of their real power as a group and would encourage additional campaigns against bad behaviour.  It would take the pressure off the other companies to compete against bald-faced bad behaviour.  It would provide a small but meaningful rebalancing of power that would benefit everybody (possibly even DP if they change and survive).

This is an opportunity.  If we waste it, then we're stupid and we deserve 3%. 

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 10:22 »
+4
...Gently but firmly let "scabs" know that they are betraying their fellow contributors.  Do it on this forum and take it to social media too, if you have to...

Define "scabs". Active contributors? Inactive? People who didn't delete portfolios?

And do you really want to take it to public naming and shaming of contributors? This isn't DPC where things started out so terribly. DP was a decent deal for a while. I don't think it's right to shame people who have contributed there just because some of us haven't gone as far as deleting our portfolios.

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 10:51 »
+9
This is worse than DPC. More than once DP went behind our backs while they were extorting contributors. And this time around they confirmed the shady deal and are not even pretending to care. Let's remember that this is a minor agency that barely sells anything. If people knew they would get 3% of the higher priced sales most would never open an account in DP.

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 19:03 »
...Gently but firmly let "scabs" know that they are betraying their fellow contributors.  Do it on this forum and take it to social media too, if you have to...

And do you really want to take it to public naming and shaming of contributors?

I meant exactly what I wrote.  Gently but firmly inform. Do it privately or publicly.  There are lots of examples of people doing just that on this forum and the exchanges I've seen have been pretty civil.

I put the word 'scabs' in quotation marks because I can't do comical air quotes with my fingers over the internet. I'm a contributor and I understand the various points of view on this issue.  The company is the bad guy, not fellow contributors.  I would only define a 'scab' as someone who vigorously defends the company and the 3% even after being presented with the facts.

But the social media is the core tactic.  All you need is a core group of 6-7 committed people engaging on social media a couple of times everyday. That's enough to pollute their social streams and would do far more than a download day. I'm up for that if anyone else is but a single person can't do it alone or they look like a kook with a grudge.  You need a group. 

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 14:35 »

But the social media is the core tactic.  All you need is a core group of 6-7 committed people engaging on social media a couple of times everyday. That's enough to pollute their social streams and would do far more than a download day. I'm up for that if anyone else is but a single person can't do it alone or they look like a kook with a grudge.  You need a group.

You want a group to 'pollute' the social streams of agencies or fellow contributors?  Target fellow contributors sound like harassment. 

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 22:18 »
You have clearly not read what I have posted.