MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock no good performing this month  (Read 28389 times)

stocked

« on: July 23, 2014, 04:47 »
+8
Shutterstock is very down for me this month, much more than the usual summer slowdown. I checked previous years and I never had such a slow July anyone else?

marthamarks

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15 »
+1
SS is actually performing very well for me this month. It won't be a BME, but it's definitely picked up from what was (for me) a slow June.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:20 »
SS is actually performing very well for me this month. It won't be a BME, but it's definitely picked up from what was (for me) a slow June.

Performing very well as the number of sales or revenues?

MxR

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25 »
This month sales: equal

This month money -50%

stocked

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:29 »
+1
I checked closer and I don't have any ELs this month, normally I have every month at least a couple of them never had a month without ELs in the last years, already feeling the DPC-effect?

Gino

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:12 »
+1
5% down in downloads and 23% down in $. So pretty normal. At the beginning of the month it was a bit slow and I was afraid of huge summer stop. But now it's ok. I like to look at download numbers not in earnings. If downloads are stable you can predict a stable minimum payout every month.

dbvirago

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17 »
+2
Almost certainly a BME for me.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39 »
+2
Average month, until today only one "70$ plus" sale.
SS rulz.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34 »
normal for me  ;)

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40 »
Absolutely normal for me.
Already better than May
I can't lament.

marthamarks

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15 »

Performing very well as the number of sales or revenues?
Both, actually.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44 »
Probably only a little down for me this month, but I got only 1 download last weekend which means my first 0 download day there in I don't know how long and a 1 download day is pretty unusual too, but I think I had one last year.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46 »
+2
Still very strangely cyclic for me, $8 one day $50 the next....and this on weekdays.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:47 »
+2
I'm seeing slower sales this month, but isn't that normal for July?

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13 »
+1
considering that this is summer and vacation time for many of us,
personally, SS has been performing stellarly...
since Spring.  i am surprised too, that others are finding a significant shift . maybe my work is not
seasonally inclined.

as for this month, it is slow, but still nothing out of the ordinary. but in my case , almost all the time,
i always get a few slow start at the beginning of each month... much like a sleepy horse..
and then at the end of the month, it suddenly springs to life and surprises me with a "stellar" performance.

fingers crossed . anyway, only a month left before the clients come back to work. so based on what it is
to date, i cannot complain.

then again, as i said, my portfolio is not heavy weighting on anything in particular, so perharps i am
not affected as much as my other colleagues.

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 11:36 »
+1
Looking a tad under last July both in # DLs and $$ (lots of 0 & 1 image days, fewer ODDs and S&O's etc than usual) but the past week it's picked up with more normal multiple image days and sales so can't really be sure. Just uploaded 6 new abstract backgrounds yesterday and had them approved today so hoping at least one will catch on & it'll pick up more. Port is 20% larger than last July. A couple of ELs can make a difference for me as I have a small port (220 images), though I have had some good months even without an EL. July is slow everywhere for me this month except Alamy. Not unexpected.

Interesting run of sales for me this week on SS are editorial pix from the NYC marathon which is coming up again in November. One or more customers in Spain (all same dot on the map) downloaded the whole series over a couple of days and a few in other parts of Europe too this past week. (I have a nice one of a Spanish family with the flag rooting on the runners on Alamy- maybe they'll find that too?). The entire series has actually done nicely for me for the past couple of years. My husband had a business meeting in NYC, it was our anniversary, so I shot some pix while he was at the meeting and then we met up for dinner. It was totally unplanned and turned out to be a fun day. Put my favorites on Alamy but I really like all the photos I uploaded to both Alamy and the micros. (went for very different pix on each since Alamy editorial has to be RM).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:41 by wordplanet »

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44 »
having BME on SS while most of the others are stagnant and have had over 800 new images accepted there (about 50% acceptance -- mostly since I score high on their LCV charts)-- I dropped FT for putrid performance & reviewing of these same images

DT is moribund, pond & fotoarabia doing ok

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 12:07 »
+1
Down 40% on last month and 70% for the same days of July 2013

If the trend continues, it will be our worst July since 2008. Download numbers are similar to 2013, but I am significantly down on OD, EL's & SOD's

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26 »
+1
having BME on SS while most of the others are stagnant and have had over 800 new images accepted there (about 50% acceptance -- mostly since I score high on their LCV charts)-- I dropped FT for putrid performance & reviewing of these same images

800 new images accepted since when?  This month?  If so that account for the good sales.

My sales are not great anywhere this month but I expect it in July.  Nothing out of ordinary at SS. 

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 14:50 »
+3
SS just fell off a cliff for me the last three months.  May, June and now July are all down 50% or more from last year.  My earnings in all three months are lower than for the same months in any year since 2007.  It's mostly the lack of ODs and high-value SODs that are making the difference.  Those sales have dropped dramatically during those three months.  Makes me wonder what's going on...

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 17:06 »
+1

800 new images accepted since when?  This month?  If so that account for the good sales.

My sales are not great anywhere this month but I expect it in July.  Nothing out of ordinary at SS.

nope, only about 10% of sales are from new images -- my images usually take awhile to catch on, then have long tails; the images that have been selling have been with them for years.

the big reason for such discrepancies is that few of us have steady enough sales to be able to predict from month to month.  one or 2 ELs can really distort things.  too many people are treating reported sales like statistically 'normal' events when they're not.   with such randomness, there are going to be hot & cold months for different folks each month.  for me several  months up or down hardly matter as long as my long term trend is upwards.

I've dumped 5 or 6 sites this year so far & still on track for BYE
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 17:08 by cascoly »

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 00:16 »
+3
It seems, that people NOT uploading to zillion agencies are reporting consistent or growing sales on SS.

marthamarks

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 01:15 »
+2
It seems, that people NOT uploading to zillion agencies are reporting consistent or growing sales on SS.
Good observation, Les. I have a feeling you're right.

I've pulled back and now only upload new stuff to the two most-productive agencies for me (SS and DT), plus my own Symbiostock site.

Still have older images left on a few others, but I'm completely out of IS, FT, and Veer. That feels good, to be honest.

Mark Windom Photography

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 15:27 »
+1

I've pulled back and now only upload new stuff to the two most-productive agencies for me (SS and DT), plus my own Symbiostock site.

Still have older images left on a few others, but I'm completely out of IS, FT, and Veer. That feels good, to be honest.

This is the case for me, also.  Although I don't know why there would be a connection between consistency on SS and uploading to only a few places.  Coincidence most likely.
I upload to SS and Macrografiks, that's it for RF.  Tried Getty, iStock and DT but they weren't good fits for me.  Now directing my efforts to my own RM site (via Photoshelter) and hope to leave micro behind for good in the next year or so.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 17:09 »
+2

This is the case for me, also.  Although I don't know why there would be a connection between consistency on SS and uploading to only a few places.  Coincidence most likely.
I upload to SS and Macrografiks, that's it for RF.  Tried Getty, iStock and DT but they weren't good fits for me.  Now directing my efforts to my own RM site (via Photoshelter) and hope to leave micro behind for good in the next year or so.

There is some logic to it.
If you have the same image on SS and also on many rock-bottom price sites, many buyers will buy it from the cheapest site, thus reducing your SS income. Not only you are hurting your combined revenue, but you are also encouraging the cheap sites to continue the downward price spiral.