MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Does Shutterstock care what we think or post about?  (Read 26640 times)

Rinderart

« on: July 23, 2014, 23:37 »
This is a re-post from a thread on SS. Any thoughts??

Just curious. we have started 20 threads about rejections being so off the chart, it's amazing, We have posted about Bugs and issues...The same issues for going on years now and No one says anything. NO ONE!!!! Is anyone out there? Is anyone at Home? Does anyone get paid to Moderate anymore. are they told to shut up. Stop talking to us? What . is going on? It has never been like this. Im telling ya guys this non Communication thing you got going on now is gonna come back and bite ya big time. That is if.......You care or if your allowed to care. If not, Thats pretty darn sad.

Do you want us to go away?, If so, Just say so...Trust me we have better things to do anyway as other sites are catching up. This site has become the lowest common denominator in contributor satisfaction of all sites and I for one am shocked at how we, who care are being treated.

This is highly unethical the way you treat your life blood and who pays your salaries. There are issues that "MUST" be addressed or at the very least explained.

Laurin Rinder 7/21/14

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 00:39 »
+18
I don't know man. Personally, I have no issues with them, everything works including review process, which is fair - I mean I have to agree with rejections.
Is it personal for you?

marthamarks

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 00:45 »
+6
I don't know man. Personally, I have no issues with them, everything works including review process, which is fair - I mean I have to agree with rejections.

I agree. No objections here about the review process. SS still accepts most everything I offer them, and when they don't I tend to understand why. Plus, on the few occasions when I've requested a re-evaluation of an image (or set of images) that was rejected, the second reviewer has agreed with me.

I like dealing with SS, and I earn more there than anywhere else. Just wish other companies could do as well.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 00:47 »
+13
Every few month you toss a grenade like this into the forums.
Geeze....Just go out and buy a new canvas and paint - I hear painting is a relaxing activity - you seem to need it.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:29 »
+4
I thought this was the "Shutterstock is accepting too much content, the market is over saturated" thread not the "Shutterstock is rejecting too much content" thread (shuts door on way out)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:54 »
+5
I've had a few niggles around acceptance of late but other than that they are still top of the line on  sales and site performance at my end.

The threads you mention seem to be started by and filled by the same people over and over and I find it hard to believe that "thousands" of others just read without posting....if the issues were more universal I'd expect to see a substantial increase in flaming torches and pitchforks.

But in fairness, I don't think SS are that bothered nor do I think that attitude has changed either way since I joined five years ago. Maybe it was different in olden times but that seems to be the case with everything from socks to cars. SS's attitude is much the same as any corporate entity, which was made clear to me at a Fortune 100 company many years ago, when I was told to "forget all that we are in business to serve the customer nonsense...we are in business to increase dividend for the shareholders or we're not in business anymore."

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:31 »
+9
shutterstock is still accepting everything that is shooted properly....this is the one and only irrefutable truth....if you still getting many rejections pay more attention while shooting

Mark Windom Photography

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47 »
+6
Sounds like one of many iStock posts from not too long ago....

Rejections, sales, etc. seem to be about average for me.  The lack of a personal touch is pretty characteristic of the corporate agency nowadays.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37 »
Lauren are u speaking on behalf of your submissions or others? Is it your paintings getting rejections or your photos? Just curious because your photography is very high quality. If it's your photos why not submit a few to SS for re review and if they are reversed communicate directly with SS with some recommendations.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53 »
+1
personally, i am not seeing the madness or the furor of the slaughterhouse from SS. then again, i can relate to your frustration, considering you have been with SS a lot more time than i have, and also, a lot more images in your portfolio.
i have been following the threads on SS, and i am wondering if it has anything to do with a certain reviewer in a certain region.
why i say so? because i keep also reading " no problem here, dude !... just uploading xxx and got xxx approved". etc.  and the more blatant , "dude , if you submit excellent work, you get excellent results".
(cough cough,  modest much???)

but definitely there is an issue and from the length of the thread, it appears that SS has become the new IS.
scary thought, really. but this is also the time to start looking elsewhere,
and be less dependant on sites that expect us to jump through hoops.

still, considering i am still making more money with SS then the rest, i am not going to be the first one
to wish for SS to follow IS ; at least, not before my independent stock site comes out.

geesh, i have work to do , haven't i?  (hand me my axe, albert !!!.... have you seen the bridge???
has anyone seen the bridge??? )..

Rinderart

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 13:41 »
Lauren are u speaking on behalf of your submissions or others? Is it your paintings getting rejections or your photos? Just curious because your photography is very high quality. If it's your photos why not submit a few to SS for re review and if they are reversed communicate directly with SS with some recommendations.

No, Not about me. just general consensus. sorry I brought it up. wonder why theres a huge thread here about SS reviewers beating folks up. and Im not talking about Newbies, But very seasoned shooters. Personally ...Never seen this much talk. If there non communication doesn't bother you guys, Then ....cool.

Rinderart

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 13:44 »
I read today on SS that someone mentioned SS have a newsletter. Very good Idea since they don't wanna acknowledge Bugs or questions. And yes, Of course SS is the best Yada Yada. But could be better.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 13:58 »
+4
...If there non communication doesn't bother you guys, Then ....cool.

I'm sorry, but what non-communication? That they don't come into the forums much to talk about things? Not many companies do that, and from what I've seen SS has more of an official presence here than many other stock agencies.

I kind of see it the other way around, that SS is more open with contributors than most companies. I've been invited to participate in phone calls with SS staff, I've had a meeting with two employees, who, by the way, drove out to my house to meet with me. I've got a standing invite to visit SS HQ (although maybe that's expired by now since I've dragged my feet on taking the guy up on that). No other company has ever taken as much initiative to communicate with me. Not even close.

I get that there are issues you want to discuss. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't be entitled to ask for more communication from SS or any other company to address those issues. But I just think it's worth mentioning that (in my opinion) SS seems to be one of the most open companies when it comes to contributor relations, reaching out to contributors, and trying to keep contributors happy.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 14:10 »
+2
I read today on SS that someone mentioned SS have a newsletter. Very good Idea since they don't wanna acknowledge Bugs or questions. And yes, Of course SS is the best Yada Yada. But could be better.

The newsletter is shutterstock patting themselves on the back promotional material. Along with some information to guide and improve shutterstock content. You will never see them acknowledge or address the numerous issues that many people are experiencing with the site or with rejections.

I think etudiante_rapide makes a good point the reviews are most likely regional. As a matter of fact if you look at the job board they advertize for reviewers by country. I do not have a problem with rejections, however some of my friends do and their work and content, is of much higher quality than some here, who are preaching up the quality of your work etc.

Shutterstock does have review and site issues and if you are not experiencing issues count yourself lucky. It is no reason to become full of yourselves and throw those who are not so unfortunate under the bus.

Consider that most buyers will never visit nor report site accessibility issues and read the reply's here. You are in denial if you think the site is not having longstanding issues on the buyer and contributor end.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/shutterstock.com.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 14:12 by gbalex »

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 14:24 »
+1
Exactly what gbalex said.

The answer to the OP's question is 'no' - they don't care.  SS is now a publicly held corporation, meaning that their product is 'shareholder value'.   There's no one at SS whose job description includes "care about contributors". 

I think it's blindingly obvious - from numerous posts here over the last few months, many from experienced photographers - that there have been major changes in reviewing and that for at least some contributors, some of the time, it's gone totally off the rails.  As for the inconsistency of it - with some people claiming no impact, others having huge difficulties - there could be a number of reasons.  For example if SS is experimenting with some new outsourcing of reviewing, or with semi-automation of the process, I'd expect them to test these changes on some subset of submissions and/or contributors and maybe - hopefully - work out the obvious bugs and problems before fully deploying them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 14:28 by stockastic »

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 14:38 »
+1

The answer to the OP's question is 'no' - they don't care.  SS is now a publicly held corporation, meaning that their product is 'shareholder value'.   There's no one at SS whose job description includes "care about contributors". 

DISAGREE
1) we don't know for sure if Jon Oringer knows about what his lower management is doing

some time ago, i too was involved with a company that went from excellent caring for the employees to total don't give NFA to you .  we all assume it was the change in management culture.
until one day, i met the CEO and told him about it.
the next week, it was Slaughterhouse week, and a lot of lower management got replaced.

we cannot assume Mr. Oringer is fine with this. unless you asked him yourself.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 14:49 »
+6

DISAGREE
1) we don't know for sure if Jon Oringer knows about what his lower management is doing

some time ago, i too was involved with a company that went from excellent caring for the employees to total don't give NFA to you .  we all assume it was the change in management culture.
until one day, i met the CEO and told him about it.
the next week, it was Slaughterhouse week, and a lot of lower management got replaced.

we cannot assume Mr. Oringer is fine with this. unless you asked him yourself.

Jon and the entire world have access to the shutterstock boards. Owners that care, take the time to talk to employees as well as customers. I have known many owners who fly to locations to speak to customers and low level employees on a regular basis.

The fact that no one including Jon has responded to numerous threads here and on shutterstock speaks volumes. All they do is pop in with platitudes and I for one find it offensive.

Address the root issues, once and for all, so that we can put a nail in this.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 14:58 »
+1
Jon and the entire world have access to the shutterstock boards.

DISAGREE AGAIN

CEO don't have the time to come read the forum. at least the CEOs i worked for. they don't have the time to come even to sit with you in the canteen.
if you want to talk to Oringer, then maybe go to his facebook, twitter, or wherever he has a site to talk directly.
i don't know where, maybe someone who is good and locating him on the web might be able to
find us Mr. Jon Oringer site and then go there and ask him .
or even go to the board meeting and wait outside his office, whatever.

but once again,
NEVER ASSUME.

eg. lately i had written a top brass for something. for 3 months no answer, and i ASSUMED
she didn't give a r@t$ ar$e about me. a few days ago, i got a reply , "sorry i was on vacation... but finally got caught up and read your letter".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 15:07 by etudiante_rapide »

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 15:12 »
+6
Jon and the entire world have access to the shutterstock boards.

DISAGREE AGAIN

CEO don't have the time to come read the forum. at least the CEOs i worked for. they don't have the time to come even to sit with you in the canteen.
if you want to talk to Oringer, then maybe go to his tweeter or wherever he has a site to talk directly.
i don't know where, but once again,
NEVER ASSUME.

I know I will get flak for this. It is a simple choice.  My father runs a fortune 200 company. I can guarantee you he makes the choice to stay in contact with low level employees and customers. When I was a little kid I visited satellite locations and I watched him consistently speak to and listen to the lowest level employees. He took and still takes the time, to get to know a few of them each time he visits at satellite offices around the world. He makes the choice to find out what is working well, what is not, how employees as well as customers are being treated etc.

He also makes it well known to them that if they have a good idea that will improve company, product or working conditions; he wants to hear about it and will implement those ideas as well as reward them.  At this time he has over 10,000 employees in locations all over the world.

It is a choice plane and simple.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 15:16 »
I know I will get flak for this. It is a simple choice.  My father runs a fortune 200 company.

DISAGREE

your father may run a Fortune 200 company , but this is just your father.
Jon Oringer is not your father

and it is NOT a choice PLAIN and simple

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 15:36 »
+18
Hello,

We have at least three people active in the various forums and many more than that communicating with contributors daily; I take responsibility for the MSG forums but will also post at SS; Vincent posts at the Shutterstock forums and Anna posts in the Russian-speaking forums. Forums are one of dozen(s) of communication channels we maintain, including international
events, email, social media (link 1, link 2, link 3), blogs, multilingual guides (link 1, link 2), workshops, dinners and office research visits, etc.  We've added interviews with reviewers and review coordinators to our blog content, and there's a larger team that is engaged with contributors through those channels. 

Historically -- it's important to note -- email is our only "official" support channel because email tickets can be assigned, tracked, and resolved at scale.  But we do engage in the forums when there are bugs -- see examples like this and this.  Again, email is best, because we can track, quantify, forward / assign and resolve issues appropriately through the email system; forums are much more difficult to use for that purpose.

Our team investigates every single review dispute, no matter who the contributor is, whether we've looked before, or whether we've agreed or disagreed in the past.  I personally look into a number of them myself along with our team leads and we track metrics related to the performance of reviewers.  What I've found is that many reviews are the correct review, or at least, it's understandable why the reviewer made their decision.  A very small amount are found to be true errors or issues, which are then addressed with the reviewer.  If a pattern were found, we would address it; we review ten(s) of millions of images; we have a high motivation and interest in reducing the number of errors made, since errors become support requests and second reviews.  We reverse review decisions if we feel the case was an error or borderline.

There's not a lot to say on the topic because every situation is different - some cases the complaints are legitimate and we deal with it.  Sometimes, the original review was correct.  Without going into each individual review publicly in the forum, there's no single, categorical statement that can be made. We realize that might not be satisfying, but it's the truth of what we find when we investigate complaints.

The communication efforts have been ramping up every year and we're always looking for additional ways to improve, but the blog is a great destination; we also expect an upgrade to the forums in the coming months / quarters, and we're happy to meet with people locally as we travel to get direct feedback.

Best,

Scott
VP of Content
Shutterstock
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 15:38 by scottbraut »

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 15:59 »
+1
I know I will get flak for this. It is a simple choice.  My father runs a fortune 200 company.

DISAGREE

your father may run a Fortune 200 company , but this is just your father.
Jon Oringer is not your father

and it is NOT a choice PLAIN and simple

I strongly disagree.

If my father can take the time to speak to both employees and customers as well as run a complex global comany with 10,000 employees and $3.1 billion in revenue.

Surely Jon can take time out of his busy schedule to speak to his 345 employees and address long standing contributors problems. How complex can a company with so few employees and revenues of 235.52 Million be?

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 16:52 »
+4
Scott Braut comes to this forum alot, like he did above.  I don't agree that SS does not stay in touch.  This thread seem more venting than constructive. 

For gbalex dad, I wish the world still run that way and good for him. But if you are adult over, say 20, the world changed a lot since back then.  CEOs spend more time worrying about shareholders than low level employees or independent contractors like us. 

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 01:46 »
+7
Scott Braut comes to this forum alot, like he did above.  I don't agree that SS does not stay in touch.  This thread seem more venting than constructive. 

For gbalex dad, I wish the world still run that way and good for him. But if you are adult over, say 20, the world changed a lot since back then.  CEOs spend more time worrying about shareholders than low level employees or independent contractors like us.

He and his company are still in operation, he is in his 60's and still working, still making the rounds. And he is not alone; there still plenty of companies that care about their employees, suppliers and customers. Greed may have become rampant, but fortunately it no where near as common, as it is in microstock.

And yes Scott popped in, however his comments did not address the issues that many contributor are legitimately experiencing at shutterstock. I do not see how platitudes & denial will help anyone, including shutterstock.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 02:44 »
+2

No, Not about me. just general consensus. sorry I brought it up. wonder why theres a huge thread here about SS reviewers beating folks up. and Im not talking about Newbies, But very seasoned shooters. Personally ...Never seen this much talk. If there non communication doesn't bother you guys, Then ....cool.

yeah, it's a general consensus.....       of 4-5 people with subpar ports. Like that woman who was beside herself with fury because shutterstock wouldn't accept her 134th (literally) daylight shot of the white house. They were all different :)

the real problem with ss actualy is:

-they accept waaay too many junk if it's technically ok, ppl with gray and green faces, ridiculously inapt models bady lit, and even those holy grails of non-photographers: pigeons, ducks,  'my doggie in the backyard'.

-low prices. They really should start raising prices gradually with so many customers addicted to the site.