pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Where (in the world) is stock photography more used?  (Read 2999 times)

« on: July 24, 2014, 10:51 »
Hello everyone
i wanted, as a newbie, ask this question:
Where (in the world) stock pictures are more used?

i don't know if it a proper question but i just wanted to know, according to your experience, if is asia, europe or americas.

I make this question because i've noticed that (i'm from italy-europe) almost everyday my IS and SS balance are freezed during the morning, while balance is going up everyday in in the evening...so i'm guessing (also according to SS sales map) that in the americas stock photos are used more frequently than in europe or asia.
I think this is important so is possible to select to shoot and upload something more "sellable"...i mean i'm not going to shoot pasta and pizza if yankees are not gonna download that :D i'm wrong?

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40 »
I think it depends on the themes.
Germany is the country who spents most money for football world cup articles.
(sticker, shirts..)
Christmas is not in every country the same. So in russia, isnt santa blue dressed?
Asia population is very big, if every creates his own website.. wow..  ;)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46 »
i agree with Maximillian, it depends.
the geomap on SS at the beginning gave me the impression my regular sales come mainly from UK France Germany . but after 3 years, that no longer is the impression. africa and australia,  and lately japan,
seem to pop up daily as well.
but if you ask someone else, they would i am sure say mostly USA or Canada.
it really depends on what you shoot.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:03 »
thx  ;)

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:25 »
+1
But Americans love pasta and pizza. ;)

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:30 »
In my case Europe is clearly the largest market, followed by the US.
Then it's scattered across Australia, Malaysia, China, Russia and Brazil.

I don't see many SS sales from other countries.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:17 »
Not extremely helpful but when I look at my monthly reports from SS it runs about 1/3rd US and 2/3rds Non US.

Also sales on SS are not reported real time, so any conclusions based on what time something shows as downloaded are guesses.

Most of mine are shots of objects, scenic, or editorial motorsports. I don't shoot models and if I have one model released image, it's my Mother.

Maybe some others can add their SS results US vs Non-US based on what they are shooting/drawing?

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 13:54 »
I have a high percentage of my image sold in South America... which isn't surprising since I shoot a lot of images of Ecuador

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 16:18 »
I have a high percentage of my image sold in South America... which isn't surprising since I shoot a lot of images of Ecuador

which may be good news 4 u too, since it could open up opportunities being in that area.
travel SA and get paid for it, claiming trips as expenses. widen your SA experience while
increasing your portfolio as well.
saludos !

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 19:13 »
My sales on SS seem to be spread across all continents, with about 1/4-1/3rd in the US (where I'm from), then the rest heavily concentrated in Latin America, Europe and Japan, with a smaller number in the rest of Asia, the Middle East, Australia and Africa.

On Alamy the US accounts for about half my sales, followed by the UK and then Russia, with a smattering from Sweden, Germany and Italy. My first stock photo sale ever was on Alamy and it was a photo of barbed wire licensed to a Russian magazine. Interestingly, I had one sale I found on a Toronto website that I notified Alamy about and they collected on it, but it is listed as a "US" sale, maybe because it's from the US office? So I can't be sure if some of my "US" sales there are to Canada.

On SS, the same photos seem to sell equally well everywhere, US travel and even the NY marathon sell all across the globe, as do my holiday images and backgrounds, and a handful of travel photos from Italy. My Scotland travel images sell best in the UK on Alamy, but otherwise the same images sell equally well in the US and Europe there.

Goofy

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 19:24 »
Rothschild Islands from what I've heard... 8)