MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How many images do I need to have to make say at least $100 a month  (Read 27446 times)

Uncle Pete

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 21:39 »
+2
No No No! 365.25 positively.  ::)

Did someone specify images of what, shot with what, how and equipment, what size, what agencies, what kind, what content? Oh I see, just a number, it's so easy, I forgot...

ps I don't drink coffee, I drink Diet Coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

marthamarks

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 22:21 »
+2
E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m0c^2)^2

where m0 =Image Quality, p = γm0v, γ = (1 - (v/c)^2)^(-1/2) and v=Quantity ?

(Of course c=3x10^8 m/s)- DPC

That was my calculation, too. Exactly.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 22:35 »
+7
I have one image that made me $7K in 3 years. Then I go on created a few hundreds more, many dont even sell at all. Seriously, if it's only that simple to give you the answer, I would have quitted my full time job now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 22:39 by onepointfour »

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 23:49 »
I posted a similar question yesterday and all I got is a tip to invest in drawing lessons....

so I'll give you my stat:

I have about 150 images on SS and earn around 30$ a month  (26$, 32$, 37$) it it kind of predictable.

But: The Pareto law works for me as well - 20% make 80%, I would even say 10% make 90%.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57 »
+3
I also have about 150 images on SS and earn over $200 a month (sometimes $300 with ELs) at SS alone. It all depends on your port. Some of mine sell every day, some sell twice a year. Take note of what sells and keep producing that type/category. I'm sure I get multiple sales from the same buyer when someone finds one of my images then has a look at my port and then buys a few more similar ones eg: interiors

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08 »
+1
Jodie is right...

Business people/office life/business concept are selling more than anyother stuff...so with this kind of image maybe 200-300 image you'll reach 100$/month
If you shoot isolated objects (which is faster and easier) maybe you need 1000/1500 images

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58 »
+1
with first 400 i made 40$ a month, with last 400 i made i earn 400$ per mounth, same amount 10 time more money

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 04:15 »
+1
Shiny happy people always win in stock land.

It's easier said than done though - it's a much underestimated skill making saleable people pictures.

Good luck!

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 04:25 »
+1
thats true, people are very hard to sell good, studio  is very big competition and expensive. outside is not easy to find a lof of good location to shoot.

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 04:29 »
+1
A friend once told me to make consistent, everyday sales with an agency, you need approximately 1000 in your portfolio. This held true for DP and DT, the only two agencies where I have 1000+ images.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 05:08 »
+1
Here is a friendly advice:

Stop to drink coffee!

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12 »
+5
Just about every time I try helping with stuff like this the OP usually makes me regret it, but I'll give it one more try.

The last time there was a pole here, maybe a couple years ago I think the average earnings per month per image was 75 cents. So 100 images spread across the top handful of sites would earn $75 per month. This obviously varies but the range was $0 to about $3 with .75 cents being common.

I don't think it's that way today. If I had to guess I'd say it's .25 cents now so a ballpark guesstimate would be 400 images to earn $100 per month. If your images are highly sellable you may do better. A poll on Alamy said the average was $1 per image per year, about 8 cents per image per month.

Like others have said, you already have some images and should have an idea of how they perform.

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 06:38 »
+1
My "business plan" was to work on this for three years and decide if it was worth carrying on my plan now is to try and grow income each month. There are too many variables and too little data to make any rational forecast .

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 06:51 »
+3
first half year you are working for free, then you learn what things sold, then it is not a problem making 100$ with 100 images,but  that is  a lof of work!

for 100 images i need 100 hours. buy something, rent something,set scene, shoot, photoshop, keyword,upload

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 07:24 »
+2
Just about every time I try helping with stuff like this the OP usually makes me regret it, but I'll give it one more try.

The last time there was a pole here, maybe a couple years ago I think the average earnings per month per image was 75 cents. So 100 images spread across the top handful of sites would earn $75 per month. This obviously varies but the range was $0 to about $3 with .75 cents being common.

I don't think it's that way today. If I had to guess I'd say it's .25 cents now so a ballpark guesstimate would be 400 images to earn $100 per month. If your images are highly sellable you may do better. A poll on Alamy said the average was $1 per image per year, about 8 cents per image per month.

Like others have said, you already have some images and should have an idea of how they perform.

Spot on, that's exactly my average 0.25 per image/month.

I'm trying to step up the game by creating less but better pictures and it seems to be working.
My last 10 images approved in SS are selling more than my other 300 there.

U$ 100 for coffee? Wow that's what I spend for a monthly supply of food in my country.

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 07:32 »
100$ for coffe in US is normal i think....it's US Niko   :)

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 07:33 »
+3
The fact is, none of you would be in the microstock business if you did not anticipate how many images you would need to upload to make X, and what kind of images you need to upload to reach that goal.
That is not a fact, it's a hypothesis you invented.
Do not include me in your wild imaginings.

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 07:34 »
+1
dont mislead him! I earn 1,1$/per image per mounth, if i delete first 400 it would 1,5$/image/mounth. i upload only to 6 pages, it is possible to earn even more.

look this portfolio, im 100% sure he earn more than 45000$ per mounth

http://www.shutterstock.com/g/pressmaster

Ed

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 07:44 »
There is no right or wrong answer.  I started in October 2005.  I left in April 2008 for a period of time. During the "boom years" of microstock back then, I believe I had a combined portfolio of about 350 images.  At that time, I submitted to 25 different agencies.  I could take payout ($100) about every two to three months.  There were others that were doing MUCH better than I and there were some that were doing much WORSE than I.  When I came back in 2011, I doubled that portfolio size....and my income was the same as before or less, with higher barriers to entry.  It depends on your portfolio, the subject matter you shoot, and how you approach this business.

Currently, I have a portfolio of about 5,000 images that I submit to 3 major agents (and those sites re-distribute images).  I average about $250/month in revenue on an average month - 99% of that revenue being from editorial newsworthy images (I think I've licensed one "creative" image this year).  I have other income streams aside from Stock that provide a more reliable source of photography income.

There are some here that have a portfolio of the same size that have this as their sole income stream - I applaud that but it's not my experience.

I'm also very curious as to why you are just worried about paying for coffee....why wouldn't you be more worried about making a profit?

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 09:19 »
100$ for coffe in US is normal i think....it's US Niko   :)

If you buy it from the grocery store, it's only a few bucks a month.

I posted a similar question yesterday and all I got is a tip to invest in drawing lessons....

Improving your skills is never bad advice. A good work ethic and practice are probably some of the best career advice I could give. It's hard to give advice to new people because results can vary wildly. Also, asking strangers about their specific finances would probably get mixed reactions anywhere you go.

That said, a lot of info is shared here. The poll to right is a decent place to start, so is the year end survey on the MSG blog. Still, results will vary and it comes back down to jumping in and seeing how it works for you.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 09:42 »
+6

Really? I look at that thread and see a few successful vector artists giving you varied, sound and considered advice.

It's a shame that was your takeaway.

steheap

• Author of best selling "Get Started in Stock"

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 12:52 »
+1
Well, although this is a shameless plug, I do work out, for each of the main agencies I upload to, how much I earn per month per online image. With that information, you would be able to calculate your $100 income....

Just check out my book on my blog or on Amazon.

Steve

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 14:09 »
My back of the hand calculation of my portfolio and knowledge about my friend's portfolio is that we both average about $0.50 per image per month. Thus 200 images might be the number your looking for. The 20/80 rule definitely holds. Most don't sell, but a few sell well. 

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2014, 14:13 »
I also have about 150 images on SS and earn over $200 a month (sometimes $300 with ELs) at SS alone. It all depends on your port. Some of mine sell every day, some sell twice a year. Take note of what sells and keep producing that type/category. I'm sure I get multiple sales from the same buyer when someone finds one of my images then has a look at my port and then buys a few more similar ones eg: interiors

yes that's the kind of predictability I'm talking about.  Once you realize what sells, you start producing more of what sells.  Sounds logical to me.  So it is not all a gamble, like some people seem to say.  You lose some on some images, and you win on others, but you always strive to increase your winning chances by building on successful stock.

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2014, 14:14 »
My back of the hand calculation of my portfolio and knowledge about my friend's portfolio is that we both average about $0.50 per image per month. Thus 200 images might be the number your looking for. The 20/80 rule definitely holds. Most don't sell, but a few sell well.

Interesting, Thanks