MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: I'm Done with Envato  (Read 30240 times)

dpimborough

« on: July 31, 2014, 10:34 »
+11
I can't be bothered uploading to this outfit.

Rejection, rejection, rejections ~ I wouldn't mind if they were valid but they really are taking the Michael  >:(

So that's it I'm done I'll keep uploading photos to SS and others at least that way I can get some money and where I make more in a single day with the photos that Envato rejected than I make all month with Envato

Ha even Bigstock make more money than Envato  :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 14:38 by Teddy the Cat »

stock-will-eat-itself

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:36 »
+1
Are there any plans to update the website?

The experience for photo buyers is very poor compared to most other sites.

I do wonder what the commitment from Photodune is for the longterm, the whole site just feels like a discarded experiment of Envato.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52 »
+2
I generally don't have a problem with rejections, but suddenly a large number of totally irrational rejections in the last two batches. I guess some new (inexperienced) reviewers were appointed. I usually can't be bothered to query the rejections. In my experience these types of problems are temporary and will resolve itself over time. When that happens I will simply re-submit those rejected images. 

Valo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57 »
+3
Envato still uses the dreaded similar rejection reason. So technically sound images are rejected and that is, unfortunately, the end of it. And this is not about a different angle of a subject. They have become a lot lot worse than Dreamstime.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:38 »
I generally don't have a problem with rejections, but suddenly a large number of totally irrational rejections in the last two batches. I guess some new (inexperienced) reviewers were appointed. I usually can't be bothered to query the rejections. In my experience these types of problems are temporary and will resolve itself over time. When that happens I will simply re-submit those rejected images.

Indeed anywhere humans are involved inconsistencies can happen (same applies to all sites), though we put a lot of effort in reducing them to a minimum and I can assure you we have a team of highly qualified reviewers. Keep in mind that the standards are evolving. Because of the volume of files submitted we can be a bit more selective on certain subjects (then we we're when the site started out 3 years ago) in an effort to make our search results as attractive and relevant as possible to existing and future customers - if the customers are happy and come back for more, chances are you'll be happy too ;)

That said, without links or examples, it's really hard to further comment. But I do invite you to send us a support ticket (instead of re-submitting the rejected images) if you feel your files were wrongfully rejected as it serves 2 purposes:
1. It helps us provide feedback to the reviewer in case where images should have been approved.
2. If your files were rightfully rejected, we can provide more detailed feedback to help improve your acceptance rate.
So it's a win-win situation.

Best regards,
Gaby

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 13:00 »
+1

u complain about Envato with inexperienced reviewer? did u see the same issue here by rinderhart
and on SStock own forum? pages and pages of it.

so maybe we are too anal on Envato when Shutterstock contributors have been complaining the same thing there for months. ;)

dpimborough

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 14:58 »
+1

u complain about Envato with inexperienced reviewer? did u see the same issue here by rinderhart
and on SStock own forum? pages and pages of it.

so maybe we are too anal on Envato when Shutterstock contributors have been complaining the same thing there for months. ;)

Not with me Shutterstock is running at 100% acceptance for months and prior to that 90 to 95%

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 15:13 »
+3
I also don't have a problem with SS or any other agency for that matter, even Envato before the last two batches. Running at an average acceptance rate of 95% on all agencies. 

I am doing this since 2006 and all I am sayings is don't over react by a sudden high rejection rate. I have experiences spells like these on most of the other agencies at some point in time. In most cases the problem will resolve itself. The biggest cause of this is often a few individual reviewers that are over critical and they will eventually align themselves with the norm of accurate reviewing or they are being replaced.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 15:23 »
I also don't have a problem with SS or any other agency for that matter, even Envato before the last two batches. Running at an average acceptance rate of 95% on all agencies. 

I am doing this since 2006 and all I am sayings is don't over react by a sudden high rejection rate. I have experiences spells like these on most of the other agencies at some point in time. In most cases the problem will resolve itself. The biggest cause of this is often a few individual reviewers that are over critical and they will eventually align themselves with the norm of accurate reviewing or they are being replaced.

+1 good point. just bcos it happens to others does not mean it will happen to me and you.
and we have not seen all those rejections. only that when i look at rinderhart's SStockportfolio,
and he is affected, i question the issue. otoh, maybe u did not get Atilla and her breed of mass destruction.
and here's a direct quote from Jo Ann from the other thread ...
I have participated in many threads about problems with SS inspections on non-studio shots of various kinds (and at the moment am taking a break from uploading there as I had just had it with the inconsistent inspection process). You can read them (here and in the SS forums).

no complaints on Envato, bcos i have not tried it. 

but re SStock tomfoolery,  i will go with Jo Ann and Rinderart
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 15:50 by etudiante_rapide »

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 17:15 »
+3
Actually I never got started with them.  After reading about them here on MSG I decided to give them a try.  Took forever to come up with that silly .zip file needed for the first submission.  Asked if I could do anything else (CD, DVD, Dropbox, etc.) but no, it had to be a .zip file. OK.  Then I selected a wide variety of files which all had excellent sales records (100 plus sales minimum and at least one EL each) and had been accepted on all of the other sites I use.  Made the .zip file and submitted.  Response within 24 hours (quite a bit less if I remember correctly).  All rejected for the most ridiculous reasons ... OOF, composition, poor isolation and so on and so forth.  Keep in mind that I have been shooting microstock for the past 8 years, commercial photography since the 1970's and taught stock photography at the college level for several years.  Plus these images all had excellent track records.  I think I've a pretty good idea of what constitutes a decent photograph and how to get it.  Pissed me off so I simply told them to take their agency and put it where the sun never shines.  Closed my account and never looked back.  Would I ever try them again?  Doubtful.  Unless they got rid of that dumb .zip requirement, I wouldn't even consider it.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:42 »
+1
I think the upload process needs to be more streamlined. Currently uploading, then having to select a title for each image and then another step after that is just tedious. I don't get the select title step. Why not upload then go straight to an edit page where you can finish the pics off and then submit. Because of how horrible the upload process is it takes enormous motivation for me to even bother submitting. I think Dreamstime and SS have got it right.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 10:55 »
I agree. The upload process is cumbersome. When an image is rejected for Model Release error (which seems to happen often to me on Envato) there is no ability to attach a revised or new MR to the image which is already on their servers. One has to go through the entire cumbersome process again. I can rarely be bothered to go through the entire shenanigans again - Envato is missing out on some of my best selling work for this reason.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 12:04 »
I think the upload process needs to be more streamlined. ...I think Dreamstime and SS have got it right.

funny, i just finished commenting on P5 needing to streamline their procedure, and thought the same way.. why not do it simply like dt ss ..!!!  KISS.

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 15:57 »
+11
Photodune has by far one of the easiest uploads.  I'm not sure how people are seeing it as complicated.

You upload all your images from shoot X in the images folder, upload all the releases from that shoot in the releases folder and press the process button.  Done.  no categories, no release matching to images, no clicking on every image.

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 17:35 »
Agree!

Carl

• Carl Stewart, CS Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 09:16 »
+3
Same here.  To me, Photodune has one of the easiest and least cumbersome uploading systems out there.  I can think of better ways to do the model releases, of course, but other than that, I'm happy with it.

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 09:45 »
It's the Model Release thing seems to catch me everytime. Trying to untangle which images had a MR attached and which didn't is just too time consuming...so I let them go..

I wish there was a way of attaching a MR once the image has been uploaded rather than starting from scratch.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44 »
do u get enough sales there to make it worth while uploading?
just asking...
other thing is , this is like a one stop many things to many ppl (photdune audijunglewordpressetcetc), right? story, song, clip, photo, vid,etc..
sort of scattered. i wonder for this reason i ask the  first question.
or is it just yet another social media where u gets lots of likes, favorites, with hope that u do them the same.
if it is a social media, it tends not to bring buying clientele in there. hope i don't sound too blunt
but this is the only forum we can find new sites to add for future potent.

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 13:05 »
The Poll Chart on the right puts them in about the right place for me..

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14 »
+2
Too absurd rejections. You can not demand such quality, then for a few cents of license dollar.

Sorry for my English level.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 10:43 »
+4
Rejection rate of 95% on photodune (in last few months) is insulting for me as photographer. On all other agencies my acceptance rate is 95%, and so it was on photodune until few months ago, until they get worse. And some of the rejected photos are highly sellable on other agencies. I tried to upload and hope this madness will stop, but it continued, so I just stop uploading there. And I suspect I'm not the only one.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 11:51 »
+4
agreed. Their rejections are plentiful and appear to be arbitrary. On almost all other sites I can guess which images might get rejected - there, other than guessing every one will get rejected I have no criteria to judge.

Maybe they think their image library is big enough or who knows. I mostly just fire and forget for submitting there, but when I do look at the rejects it is curious. If they were a bigger earner like SS I'd be pretty annoyed, but luckily they aren't.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 12:17 »
+7
right - the reviewers are incompetent and sales miserable -- deleted my account months ago