pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: My drawings on sale as prints on Etsy  (Read 5312 times)

« on: August 03, 2014, 12:24 »
Hello everyone,
I've just noticed someone selling my drawings on Etsy as prints onto some vintage dictionary pages.
My question is: any microstock site licence allowing this? I just read Shutterstock EL and merchandise is allowed, print on demand - not. Which case is here?

Thank you

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:24 »
You can just ask the Etsy shop owner. I've contacted people selling my designs on Etsy before to ask where they got the artwork, and all of them have been very open about it. Many offer to remove the products before I even ask.

The problem with Etsy is that not every stock companies regards it the same. Most stock licenses prohibit use in print-on-demand situations like Cafe Press and Zazzle, but some stock companies view Etsy as more of a retailer, since some products are one-off products.

But in the case of stock image use, they are really almost always print-on-demand and shouldn't be allowed under most regular licenses or even ELs.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:25 »
Thank you, EmberMike, for your answer. I've contacted the shop owner and, just like you said, he took down those items before asking. I just asked which licence he bought and from which site. The answer was ambiguous, something about someone sold him the vector on Etsy (???!!!) Anyways, I think he had no licence at all, but I am glad he took those prints down.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56 »
Thank you, EmberMike, for your answer. I've contacted the shop owner and, just like you said, he took down those items before asking. I just asked which licence he bought and from which site. The answer was ambiguous, something about someone sold him the vector on Etsy (???!!!) Anyways, I think he had no licence at all, but I am glad he took those prints down.

Often when someone doesn't have a license they'll immediately remove the products. You don't have to even send a threatening email, just a polite mention of the image and inquiring about which stock site they bought it from often scares them into removing the unlicensed products.

When someone does think they have a legit license, they'll tell you. And even then sometimes they'll offer to remove the product before you ask.

The only stock agency I know of that allows Etsy product use is iClipart. And even then I wasn't sure and had to contact them to find out if the license covered it.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 13:16 »
+1
Do you have an Etsy shop? Lately I am thinking more and more to open one as an alternative to microstock which,  for me, sadly goes down. It is true, I've uploaded less this last year due to my "real life" job. But the decrease is so big it makes me think the whole industry goes down. I am still trying to understand what is going on, how much is my fault (not uploading much) or is it the general trend? First time in 5 years I am worried...
So... I see some successful painters I follow on FB making good money there selling originals and prints.  Or t-shirts, mugs and other products on RedBubble and Society6.
What do you think?