pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: A More Balanced Envato Market & An Increase In Non-Exclusive Author Earnings  (Read 19207 times)

Valo

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35 »
+3
I just got a sale that normally would net me 0.66, but I got 0.72. So basically I got pay raise of 3%. This must be a dream  8). However, I truly truly appreciate the gesture. I guess it is still possible to get  a raise. Well done, Shutterstock should follow this example.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 14:50 »
+3
Could we get something specific to PhotoDune? I read the blog and the detail of service charges with a hypothetical $100 item, but that has nothing to do with photo sales.

What is the Buyer Fee for each size of my photos - which list on the web site from $1 to $9? Let's assume a credit purchase as I understand authors no longer get a cut of the fee for a cash purchase (and that it has been reduced to $1 from $2)

If I'm getting 45% of the $1 to $9, then this is good news.

If I'm getting 45% of something less than $1 to $9, I honestly don't see how this makes any sense - you need to post the royalty rate the author receives out of what the buyer pays. Everything else is your costs of doing business and how you break it down is of no concern to me as an author.

As it is described in the blog it will make PhotoDune purchases look more like the tangle of fees and taxes typically seen on a cell phone bill in the US and everyone hates that complexity (perhaps that won't translate - possibly Australian mobile bills are simpler :)).

It really obfuscates the bottom line if you say you take 55% but it's really 55% of something other than what I can see on the page where my images are for sale. How and where can I see the number you take 55% of?

Of course, if I have the wrong end of the stick, perhaps you can explain.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 22:16 by Jo Ann Snover »

Valo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 14:59 »
+1
I think we just get 36% now.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 15:28 »
That is my impression as well and your experience bears that out.

dpimborough

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 16:16 »
+3
Hey everyone!  We've just announced some changes to our marketplace fee structure, as part of a new holistic approach that brings both author and buyer needs into better focus.  Our goal is to create a really fantastic experience that benefits both buyers and authors in the long term.

As part of this update, our fees to non-exclusive authors are decreasing which means an increase in net author earnings.  For a sale of an item with a list price of $100, a non-exclusive author will now have net earnings of $36 (for comparison, in our old fee structure, they would have received $33). We're working steadily towards a more competitive media offering for photos, footage, and other markets dominated by non-exclusive contributors.

The Become an Author page has a complete and more visual representation of this breakdown, with a fancy chart and slider :)

You can read more about this change on our Market Blog:
As well as our commitment to strengthening our media markets as part of our 2014 Roadmap.  Thanks!

Stop with the corporate spiel Eric just tell us in plain English please :D

ericschwartz

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 17:32 »
+1
Hey everyone, I know it's a bit confusing at first  ??? 

The $100 split example is one of the clearest ways of thinking about it, but Collis does a better job explaining it and some of the context around it in a few different ways on our forum here if you want to take a closer look:

http://photodune.net/forums/thread/a-more-balanced-envato-market-important-changes/140925?page=3#1109645

I'll redo Collis' example here from a non-exclusive author perspective:

OLD VERSION

(Purchase price of $10)
Buyer pays Author $10
Author pays Envato $6.70 (67%)
Author is left with $3.30
NEW VERSION

(Purchase price of $10)
Buyer pays Envato $2 (20% platform fee)
Buyer pays Author $8
Author pays Envato $4.40 (55% platform fee x $8)
Author is left with $3.60

Which means an increase in net author earnings!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 21:28 »
+7
Thanks for the explanation, but it still seems way too complicated.  Why not just: buyer pays Envato $XX, author gets 36%?  Isn't that the net result for non-exclusive sales?   Or does it depend on the sales amount?

Valo

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:14 »
+5
The 55% fee on my author page is really confusing and should be changed to 36% royalty. It is really crap to see how much you take from us, just show us what we make. Please.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27 »
+4
I really hope this complexity of calculation is not intended to be used it in future to hide something from us? I can see no other benefit of confusing the calculation of our royalty. 

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 02:32 »
Seems overly complex, we just need to know our overall percentage of what the buyer pays for our work.

The main problem with Envato from a contributor's perceptive (across the non photo marketplaces) is the same one I outlined for microstock as a whole but much more so. They have a lot of super high quality content priced at a stupidly low prices, which worked fine when supply was short and authors could clean up on the massive volumes of sales per item. Now supply is catching up with demand authors are forced to jump ship to other similar sites letting them set the prices themselves. That's what needs addressing.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:40 »
+2
The 55% fee on my author page is really confusing and should be changed to 36% royalty. It is really crap to see how much you take from us, just show us what we make. Please.
I just spotted the "55.0% of the Item Price is the author fee we're currently charging you." too.
That really is incredibly misleading, the only reasonable way to read that is if I sell an item for $10 I will get $4.50, if  this is not the case you really need to change that.

Tror

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:19 »
A raise is always welcome! Thank you Envato!

BK

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 20:34 »
Thanks Envato!!

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 04:38 »
+1
Good timing with the latest debacle at istock.  Hope you can get some of their customers that don't like paying a fixed price for any size.