MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How much I should charge for a picture used as background scenery on a TV set  (Read 3597 times)

« on: September 02, 2014, 14:59 »
Hello everybody !

Is there someone who can help me to know how much I should charge for a picture used as background scenery on a TV set. 

Someone from a company name In Touch Ministries contact me this morning after having seen some of my images in Flickr and that would be interested to buy the right to use these image as background scenery on a TV set for Christmas time.  He said that "These images would be used for our Christmas program this year. The program airs throughout the US as well as Canada and other countries throughout the world".

Thanks,

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 15:33 »
Well, you can go by the idea that any microstock image with a regular license would be ok to use, and that's basically a dollar.  Or go the more RM route, with a higher price, since you're having to custom write a license and deal with him, and visit Getty or Alamy to price it out.  Maybe a hundred or two?

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 19:01 »
Thanks Sean for the quick answer ! 

Ubermansch

• Im designed to think
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:04 »
Thats cool!

Id go for a credit above cash :)

Dont get me wrong, make them pay, but include a credit, which opens other doors near future. Its a tangible feather in your hat as long as you have copy of their show.

Television is not quite dead yet at all and tv producers are like ducks, they follow each other. Sell more of such scenery with a credit.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 16:39 »
i don't know a value but remember they will earn lots and lots of money with the show

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 16:48 »
I actually think you are looking at a Rights Managed situation and you need to get more information to price it. Firstly, though, it depends how unique your image is. If it is not very unique, Sean's suggestion of $100-200 might be fine. You want to know how many viewers this will get, duration of the run, duration of image use in the show, size of image, potential use in other related materials, etc. To give you some idea, we would typically sell the one-time 5 second use of an image on a Canadian TV show for around $350 on a fairly non-unique image. (This price is heavily discounted because they used a lot of our images.) 

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 18:36 »
The picture is a night shot of a commercial street of Old Quebec decorated for Christmas time.  It is a reasonably unique image and the person said to me he want to have it enlarge 12' X12' and frame as a background windows for a TV show.  At first, he said it will be for one season but later on he said he might use the picture for many years and he would like to purchase the images for use in perpetuity 

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 00:26 »
I found this site a while back that was interesting. It's not specific to what you're looking for, and I'm not sure how accurate it can be, but you might check it out and see if it helps at all.

newbielink:http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm [nonactive]

I'd be interested to see what others think of the page.

-D

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:16 »
The picture is a night shot of a commercial street of Old Quebec decorated for Christmas time.  It is a reasonably unique image and the person said to me he want to have it enlarge 12' X12' and frame as a background windows for a TV show.  At first, he said it will be for one season but later on he said he might use the picture for many years and he would like to purchase the images for use in perpetuity

Does that mean it will still be Old Quebec in the show - Canadian television ain't Hollywood.  There is a lot less money in a Canadian budget.  If a show is picked up with an American network it likely won't be until after the 1st season.  Canadian dramas rarely last more than a season, although 1/2 hour comedies have been fairly successful.  "In perpetuity" means something quite different if it will portray an American background!

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 16:17 »
It's a religious channel featuring " Dr Charles Stanley"  that sells tons of products: dvds, etc.  I can guarantee you they have $$. https://store.intouch.org/

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:05 »
I want to thank every body who answered my request.  I have collected precious information and advise here that will be pretty useful in the future.

Thank you again !