MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Will you stay with iStock after the 9/2/14 change or start pulling out?  (Read 23195 times)

« on: September 03, 2014, 05:05 »
+2
I'm not sure what I should do with iStock at this point.  I have a very small portfolio there now, but thinking if it's worth it to add more especially with their slow uploading process and the price change.

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:17 »
+4
I removed most of my portfolio a long time ago.  Left enough to get an occasional payout.  Never regretted it, I hate feeling that I have to put up with anything a site does to me.  Just wish everyone felt the same.  I think the vast majority of contributors will carry on uploading until the sites pay them nothing.  There's probably some that would pay them to sell their images  :)

Ubermansch

• Im designed to think
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34 »
The "point" of the microstock selling business...and its your business, Im not referring to the stock agency, is to upload, promote and earn.

The agency is a lever or "cheap" tool to get search engine coverage, if you use them for anything else, like uhum...upload and hope strategy....your days are un-numbered.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:52 »
+4
I am thinking to continue to upload to them, but maybe only the minimum size accepted (1600 x 1200)

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45 »
+4
I removed most of my portfolio a long time ago.  Left enough to get an occasional payout.  Never regretted it, I hate feeling that I have to put up with anything a site does to me.  Just wish everyone felt the same.  I think the vast majority of contributors will carry on uploading until the sites pay them nothing.  There's probably some that would pay them to sell their images  :)

this is true for any other digital product unless you're famous.

are you expecting to sell the same mp3 songs for the next 20 years ? or the same video of the Tour Eiffel ? or your self-published ebooks ?

stock images in particular have a limited shelf-life and window of opportunity depending on your specific niche, the actual oversupply is just shortening the shelf-life but it's not the single root of all evil.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:50 »
+6
I am thinking to continue to upload to them, but maybe only the minimum size accepted (1600 x 1200)

The problem with that is, if they change their system again, your files will be hanging in thin air. And I think the only thing you can rely on with istock are drastic and unpredicted changes ;)

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18 »
+5

The problem with that is, if they change their system again, your files will be hanging in thin air. And I think the only thing you can rely on with istock are drastic and unpredicted changes ;)

Yes, I agree.
Better to wait and see the evolution of the situation.
But honestly, I'm getting tired of these continuous change iStock.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:31 »
+13
I pulled my portfolio when they told me that paying me 20% is unsustainable.
This move does not make me want to upload again.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:53 »
For me it depends largely on what their pricing turns out to be.  Sean said it right. The little buyer is likely out...good for other MS sites, bad if they feel a strong connection to Istock.  With Yuri probably driving this change, I see that it is likely prices do go up knowing what Yuri's biggest fuss is over......low micro stock pricing.  If several things happen Istock could be an okay agency from a revenue standpoint:

1. Single credit prices go up more than than old 5 credits. We know that at today's prices 1=5, but the unknown is the future pricing, where 1 might equal 6 or 7 or 8 of todays credit prices. This is the BGIG unknown. This might work for exclusive content but cannot possibly work for cross-microstock content.  This means in my mind it's dead for us non exclusives. 1 credit will probably = 3 of todays credits, effectively cutting our commissions once again.  Yes we stay at, say, 17%.  But 17% of $1 is less than 17% of $3 and I believe that this is what we will see.  Yuri isn't looking out for us, he is looking out for him and by being exclusive he and other exclusives will enjoy the benefits of more macro pricing, not us nons.

2. If #1 happens, they lose buyers so the next question is can they attract new buyers to replace them? There are A LOT of small buyers and they will likely end up over at SS. So I see potential volume as a whole going down if pricing goes up too far.

3. How does Istock differentiate themselves from other micros with essentially the same collection? By touting exclusive content, which isn't available elsewhere. This is really the only way they can differentiate themselves without using legalese that allows them to skirt the truth like they have in the past...."only on Istock".

My summary:
1. Bad for non exclusives
2. Good for exclusives

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17 »
+3
2. If #1 happens, they lose buyers so the next question is can they attract new buyers to replace them? There are A LOT of small buyers and they will likely end up over at SS. So I see potential volume as a whole going down if pricing goes up too far.
It looks to me like pricing is coming down to compete with SS, I don't see how they would lose buyers to them with the new pricing.  SS charges 9 to 15 dollars per image for image packs, 1 credit at iStock probably will be less expensive than that don't you think?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:19 by tickstock »

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:25 »
It looks to me like pricing is coming down to compete with SS, I don't see how they would lose buyers to them with the new pricing.  SS charges 9 to 15 dollars per image for image packs, 1 credit at iStock probably will be less expensive than that don't you think?

You are probably correct. I am merely stating this with the unknown of the new pricing. That is the missing link, but yea, I suspect they are trying to, in a large way, mirror Shutterstock...i.e. same price regardless of size. But until new prices are announced we can only have fun guessing. Looks like video gets hosed too.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:37 »
I'm not sure what I should do with iStock at this point.  I have a very small portfolio there now, but thinking if it's worth it to add more especially with their slow uploading process and the price change.

If you are in other agencies whose modus operandus you are happier with, your decision is made for you.
Personally, I'll wait and see (unless there's some radical change around the corner, when I quit iS, I'm out of micro), but you'll know what works for you.

ShadySue

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:37 »

Is that what you do at the other sites which don't price by size?

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:45 »
+4
I've already been down the road of leaving, and it doesn't accomplish anything. You just make less money.

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 09:06 »
+6
Leaving IS or Dropping the Crown before finding out if new changes work would be foolish.

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 09:13 »
+1
honestly? i will wait to see what appends, and I'll decide later, but i think that iStock will be only a subscription site

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30 »
I think just to "wait and see" is the right answer at this point.  No need to run to the exit because my portfolio there is very small now.  They should make it easier and faster to upload if they want more content.

ShadySue

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 10:11 »
I think just to "wait and see" is the right answer at this point.  No need to run to the exit because my portfolio there is very small now.  They should make it easier and faster to upload if they want more content.
I've never found it difficult to upload there.
Many people (not me) love DeepMeta for uploading, so you could give that a try if you haven't already.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 10:15 »
+1
I have a 1 photo portfolio.  I have actually been considering reducing my file sizes on older content and uploading them again to Istock.  It appears that they have not changed anything about their uploading system since I left in 2013 though have they?  Still stitching releases together and uploading a new one for each and every photo, even if there's 50 in a series?

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23 »
+4

Exactly. It's obvious that IS are trying to simplify the buyers' experience in order to compete more effectively with SS.

I doubt very much that this is at the suggestion of Yuri. We have yet to see the new pricing architecture but my guess is that it will inevitably mean reduced revenues for both IS and Yuri (all of us actually). This move is simply a further retreat from the previously escalating prices that destroyed IS's market share.

Probably too little and way too late anyway.

ShadySue

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 10:32 »
Still stitching releases together and uploading a new one for each and every photo, even if there's 50 in a series?
Apparently DeepMeta is a big help with this.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40 »
+1
If I am freaking out about submitting 500 old photos (most have 1-10 people in them) - can you imagine what a barrier this would be for a significant photographer to move over and submit their huge collection?   On their competition's site, it is not an issue.... just don't understand why I should have to download third party software to make a 4 billion dollar company work.  (Well actually - I know the backstory and contributors are not the backbone of their company and just not important enough to pamper a little :) )

ShadySue

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 10:51 »
^^ I see where you're coming from. I don't have models, so that's not an issue for me. The release issue has been raised often on the forums since I started and they so far have shown no inclination to change things.
Probably so long as the big hitters in lifestyle keep uploading, there's no incentive for them to change.

BoBoBolinski

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54 »
+1
What is the point of that? You've got the image anyway, so why not sell it to the widest possible audience?

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58 »
+1
Not directed toward me - but...

1.  I have no problem selling subs for 25-28 cents if they are med or smaller.  I do have a problem giving away large files for nothing.
2.  Their priority appears to be to push clients to Thinkstock
3.  There is always a risk that this honest company will give everything away for free.  When it happens again, let it be a less useful version.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12 »
+2

I wouldn't upload anything for a while and see where this latest lurch of theirs is going. No reason to remove content in the short term.

I pulled out all but 100 of my images over the Getty-Google scam (those images were shot at an iStockalypse and can't be sold elsewhere) and have no plans at the moment to upload to them. I find it useful to be able to keep an eye on them as a contributor so I doubt I'll ever voluntarily close my account

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36 »
+5
I doubt you will see many contributors leave over this.  Those that are/were fed up enough to leave over Istock's tactics have already gone.   

If the income drops much more for exclusives I expect there will be another big group dropping crowns. 

For indies, they just become a mid-low tier agency and get uploads according to their new lower priority status. 

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49 »
+4
I don't expect to change my port there - I removed most of my stuff when it was forced into thinkstock leaving a few old files that mostly seemed to do better at IS than elsewhere.  I get a payout every once in a while, and this lets me see how they perform over time. This move actually might help me there since most of my sales are either subs (won't change) or XS and S.

Removing your images doesn't seem to increase your bottom line, but it does lower blood pressure and helps you to feel a little less abused, which in my case is worth it.

I'll probably watch what happens there as they lurch about a little more closely. My only real fear is they will try to undercut everyone and lure buyers away from places that pay a better percent. My prediction is that single credits will be somewhere in the 9-10$ range but that people buying heaps of credits will get very deep discounts.

Good luck to them making this change smoothly and glitchless - Ha - good thing they are doing it as they head into the busy season... really I'd like all their buyers to move to Pond5 or somewhere that treats contributors better, but that is a pipe dream.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18 »
Many people (not me) love DeepMeta for uploading, so you could give that a try if you haven't already.

I don't know what it is.  I've been uploading one at a time and tagging one at a time too.

shudderstok

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29 »

ya thunk? the race to the bottom continues, how cool is that?

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 12:40 »

consensus being neither IS nor SS will lose out , since bottom-feeders will now see increase too in their IS port as with SS. bigger earners will lose big time (as with SS already )
but both sites will still look good, as already pointed out,
this industry is never photographer-friendly. 

the resounding echo, "to please our clients" ...

ShadySue

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 12:43 »

I don't know what it is.  I've been uploading one at a time and tagging one at a time too.

http://www.deepmeta.com

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 12:48 »
+4
For indies, they just become a mid-low tier agency and get uploads according to their new lower priority status.

Yup!

KB

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 12:50 »
+3
I won't be removing my photos from IS, but I'll have to wait to see if I'll be dropping exclusivity or not.

I almost certainly will be removing my videos. I don't support sites that average < $20 commissions for HD footage. It sounds like with the new IS pricing there's a good chance it will be < $10, which is simply ridiculous.

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 13:05 »
+1

Yep, it's easy to see what pricing pressure from the biggest competitor is doing.  Looks like they just announced that the pricing will be almost exactly what SS's is.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 13:48 »
+1
Not really, upload one release and use Deep Meta to attach that release to every photo that it applies. One Release upload, not 50. The one flaw (well for releases that is  :) ) Is you must associate the release at the time of upload when using deep meta. You can't do it later. You can't add it during review. It has to be at the same time as the file upload.

Of course no release, not approved, start over.

I have a 1 photo portfolio.  I have actually been considering reducing my file sizes on older content and uploading them again to Istock.  It appears that they have not changed anything about their uploading system since I left in 2013 though have they?  Still stitching releases together and uploading a new one for each and every photo, even if there's 50 in a series?

To answer the OP question. Yes I will stay with IS. It's a wait and see situation for now.

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 14:24 »
+7

Yep, it's easy to see what pricing pressure from the biggest competitor is doing.  Looks like they just announced that the pricing will be almost exactly what SS's is.

We all know that the increase in supply of stock images has been outstripping the increase in demand for years. We also all know what usually happens when supply exceeds demand.

About the only thing keeping the situation relatively stable is the the buyers aren't really 'buying' our images (or licenses for them). What they are really doing is paying the agency for the service they provide in hosting our images and making them easy to find.

Breaking news shocker! It turns out that Istock's 'service' wasn't worth paying a premium for over that provided by SS. Who'd have thought?

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 14:37 »
+3
Breaking news shocker! It turns out that Istock's 'service' wasn't worth paying a premium for over that provided by SS. Who'd have thought?

Says who? iStock? Just wait a week or two, they'll say something different.  ;)

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 14:37 »
+1
buyers aren't really 'buying' our images (or licenses for them). What they are really doing is paying the agency for the service they provide

Absolutely 100% spot on.

ETA: exception for Vector and 3D artists. Done well, that really is a different thing.

ShadySue

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 14:54 »

That's what I do, unless e.g. I'm uploading horizontals and verticals, so most of the keywords are the same, whereupon I use 'copy keywords'. I'm hardly uploading there now, but back when I was uploading the max allowed most weeks (when there was an upload limit) I was always doing them manually.
Compared to Alamy, it's breeze!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 16:11 by ShadySue »

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 14:57 »
+1

We all know that the increase in supply of stock images has been outstripping the increase in demand for years. We also all know what usually happens when supply exceeds demand.

About the only thing keeping the situation relatively stable is the the buyers aren't really 'buying' our images (or licenses for them). What they are really doing is paying the agency for the service they provide in hosting our images and making them easy to find.

I think that's wrong.  I think buyers went to SS not because the service was better but mainly because it was cheaper, unless by better service you mean extremely cheap subs which I guess is part service and mainly price.

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 15:05 »
+1
I think that's wrong.  I think buyers went to SS not because the service was better but mainly because it was cheaper, unless by better service you mean extremely cheap subs which I guess is part service and mainly price.

Is not wanting to buy agency collection images considered bargain hunting?

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 15:06 »
+1

Is not wanting to buy agency collection images considered bargain hunting?
My understanding is that the agency collection did very well, I know Sean mentioned how well he did with it a few times.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 15:34 »
+3
More than likely won't go to the effort of pulling out but, even as it stands, hard to motivate myself to upload. RPI is 10% of what it was but actually still better than most apart from SS - lack of visibility is a big problem when the earnings are mostly in the PP/ Subs once a month bucket.

I haven't looked at the latest  initiative in any detail but, based purely on the success of the last 4 or 5 bits of rocket science they've come up with I predict another massive drop.

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 15:54 »
+12
Whatever spasms they make they have lost me long ago.

They are leaches and nothing but leaches and that wont change before the managing director calls me and offers me 50%, and handles the contract over by hand.
Then I will consider.
refunds, upload procedure, harressment in the forums, lies, CB.
repeated.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 17:34 »
+3
Same thing I've done the past couple of annual September overhauls. Staying for now to see how it affects me.

Big difference now is that after the first major shake-n-bake I started working on Plan B. I optimized all of my images for IPTC/SEO and focused on selling outside of stock. So now if I don't like the results I can make a change.

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 20:29 »
+2
I just deactivated all my video clips after reading this on iStockvideo forum.
It's ridiculously low royalty and I can't afford to let somebody sell my stuff for cheap and give us little money like this.

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=362762&page=1

"As officially posted elsewhere, credits under the new system will be $8 - $15 each, depending on the amount purchased.

So, assuming this new (and much anticipated) information is accurate, we can assume that "essential" videos will cost $48 - $90 each, with our royalties being:

15% = $7.20 - $13.50
16% = $7.68 - $14.40
17% = $8.16 - $15.30
18% = $8.64 - $16.20
19% = $9.12 - $17.10
20% = $9.60 - $18.00 (but really, who actually can reach 20%?)

If the above is correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), that's quite a drop in commissions here for us, unless something else is changing that we don't know about.

(Edited on 2014-09-03 12:00:20 by OrlowskiDesigns)"

ShadySue

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01 »
+3
I'm sure that was the main reason, but also for a year at least SS gave far cleaner search results than iS, which must be a real service benefit. I haven't checked recently, but presumably nowadays the gap is far wider, given the even poorer results in many iS searches nowadays.
Another previous advantage iS just threw away for no known reason.

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34 »
+1
Still stitching releases together and uploading a new one for each and every photo, even if there's 50 in a series?
Apparently DeepMeta is a big help with this.

But even with DeepMeta, keywording is sooo time consuming!! I just wish I could upload the files the same way I do with every other agency. I felt so bored having do deal with all those clicks on the keywords in DeepMeta that I just quit uploading a long time ago.

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 22:26 »
+2

Yup!

Yup! Indies just took another cut.

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 03:17 »
+3
For one of my sales on iStock this week, I received a grand total of $0.00 !!! How does this happen??? Are they giving my images away for free without my permission??

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 03:32 »
+4
I decided to deactivate my small video portfolio at IS, you get much better sales volume and royalty at P5 and SS. 15% is ridiculously low and my clips getting no views or sales there anyway!

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04 »
+2
Why wouldn't I stay with iStock after the change?

So far in 2014, my average royalty per download has been $0.91 with iStock.

With the new system all of my images will be priced between $8 and $15, of which I will get 17% which would be $1.36 up to $2.55 - in this scenario it looks like I will get a higher average royalty per download after the change. And those royalties are actually in line with what I get at Shutterstock for Image Packs.

Of course it also means we are likely to see a heavier shift from single image sales to subscriptions but that is already happening step by step since April and might only speed up now.

And it's hard to predict how the download pattern between non-exclusives and exclusives will shift, given that exclusive images are now becoming a bit less overpriced (with the exception of the maybe 200-400k real premium images they have which now are becoming heavily underpriced).

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 04:27 »
As you say, it's hard to predict what effect the reduced differential between Exclusive and non-Exclusive will have.

If I do a similar calculation, my average RPD (on iStock images only, no ELs, GI or PP) for 2014 so far is $11.22.

After the change, my images will be priced between $24 and $45, of which I get 35% which would be between $8.40 and $15.75, depending on the price set for credits; so if the price is something about $11 per credit it will be just about the same.  It all depends on how many downloads.

At least, that's how I understand it.  I'll wait and see how it goes.

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 04:38 »
Actually, I just remembered that it won't be quite that simple; I have several hundred images in the Main collection too, so my average is likely to be a little lower, although at present I don't sell much from there.

As I said, I'll just wait and see how things pan out in the next few months.

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 05:23 »
+2

Yup!

Yup! Indies just took another cut.

I don't follow this - the pay per dl will increase considerably (at least in my case).  Am I missing something?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29 »
+1
I probably won't take the time to delete files, but I've lost all motivation to upload there. My goal was to create higher-priced files, and that's what I've been concentrating on; now all those files will have substantially reduced prices.

And I have no idea if this is because of the announcement to buyers, but sales for me have all but stopped this week. That portends poorly for the future. Very sad.

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35 »
I probably won't take the time to delete files, but I've lost all motivation to upload there. My goal was to create higher-priced files, and that's what I've been concentrating on; now all those files will have substantially reduced prices.

And I have no idea if this is because of the announcement to buyers, but sales for me have all but stopped this week. That portends poorly for the future. Very sad.
Were you only uploading your higher-priced files to iStock or to other sites as well?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46 »
+2

Were you only uploading your higher-priced files to iStock or to other sites as well?

Why would I only upload them to iStock? If I did that I'd miss out on 75% of my income on those files. But since their upload process is so laborious, I uploaded my more complex files to them.

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 10:50 »
I decided to deactivate my small video portfolio at IS, you get much better sales volume and royalty at P5 and SS. 15% is ridiculously low and my clips getting no views or sales there anyway!

Congratulations...
Better late than never.

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51 »

Why would I only upload them to iStock? If I did that I'd miss out on 75% of my income on those files. But since their upload process is so laborious, I uploaded my more complex files to them.
Just curious why you'll stop creating high priced files because of the change at iStock?  The prices aren't much different than other sites.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56 »
+3
I didn't say I'd stop creating them. I said I'm not motivated to upload to iStock. If you're going to respond to my remarks, read them carefully and respond to the actual words I write, not the ones in your head.

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59 »
+3
I didn't say I'd stop creating them. I said I'm not motivated to upload to iStock. If you're going to respond to my remarks, read them carefully and respond to the actual words I write, not the ones in your head.
I guess I miss understood you, no need to get angry.  I thought you were saying you lost motivation to create high priced files "My goal was to create higher-priced files".  'was' your goal as in not your goal anymore, that's how I read your statement.

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01 »

Somebody got out of bed the wrong side. :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:04 by john_woodcock »

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 15:37 »
+8

Me too.  Deleted all the video clips.  Ridiculous commission that's really insulting and bad for our business.

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 18:01 »
+1
speaking of staying with istock. If I do decide to stay with them after joining in July
 I'm not getting any views on my port a total of around 10 on 250 images that's it. I don't get it,they want more contributors and their stuff but there is no buyers to view them. :-\

ShadySue

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 20:07 »
+2
For one of my sales on iStock this week, I received a grand total of $0.00 !!! How does this happen??? Are they giving my images away for free without my permission??

Several weeks ago, someone noted this on a Fb group and was asked by an admin to contact CR.
Certainly you should do the same, but replies have been taking 4-8 weeks for months now.
Please feed back what they say.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2014, 21:22 »
If that's the change, I'm leaving.  :) Next they will want us to pay to give away our work.

So someone tell me, is it official = now? Have the flipped the switch and 5 = 1 and no more sizes, and collections have merged Etc.

My last two DLs after the 2nd have been listed as large for $1.25 commission. This is better than the .44 for a small that I got on the 2nd.

Just like that, it's in effect now? Wouldn't we expect down time for the big switch? I didn't notice anything, didn't see the usual messages here "is IS down...".

Yes I know it's a little soon, but if this is the new system, I'm going to like it.

Several weeks ago, someone noted this on a Fb group and was asked by an admin to contact CR.
Certainly you should do the same, but replies have been taking 4-8 weeks for months now.

KB

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2014, 22:12 »
+2
So someone tell me, is it official = now? Have the flipped the switch and 5 = 1 and no more sizes, and collections have merged Etc.

My last two DLs after the 2nd have been listed as large for $1.25 commission. This is better than the .44 for a small that I got on the 2nd.

Just like that, it's in effect now? Wouldn't we expect down time for the big switch? I didn't notice anything, didn't see the usual messages here "is IS down...".
From their posted FAQ:
When will these changes go live on the website?
We are planning a September 15th launch but changes may start to appear as early as September 13th. The site will require a limited weekend outage but you will be notified in advance.

I don't actually understand your confusion. Your last 2 DLs were L size for $1.25, and the previous sale was an S size for $0.44. Since an S is 2 credits and an L is 5, those royalties don't seem unusual to me.

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2014, 00:30 »

Thank you ShadySue. I will do that.

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2014, 05:09 »
+1

From their posted FAQ:
When will these changes go live on the website?
We are planning a September 15th launch but changes may start to appear as early as September 13th. The site will require a limited weekend outage but you will be notified in advance.

I don't actually understand your confusion. Your last 2 DLs were L size for $1.25, and the previous sale was an S size for $0.44. Since an S is 2 credits and an L is 5, those royalties don't seem unusual to me.

People are leaving because of a change that hasn't launched. He's seeing downloads increase before the change. Somebody said their SS sales went down when IS made this change. Goes back to people seeing before it happens or clairvoiance. That explains the question why no shut down though.

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2014, 08:54 »
+2
speaking of staying with istock. If I do decide to stay with them after joining in July
 I'm not getting any views on my port a total of around 10 on 250 images that's it. I don't get it,they want more contributors and their stuff but there is no buyers to view them. :-\
Nobody is getting many views. Apparently it's something to do with only views by logged in buyers counting. What I find much more worrying is that those logged in buyers seem to be buying a lot less of my work. Views are nice but there are no $$ for them.
Also, if yours is the PF that I think it is, then with all due respect, I think you need to have a think about what you are shooting. There are an awful lot of fairly easily found isolated objects already there, and more being uploaded daily. Those shots are unlikely to generate many DLs these days IMHO.

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57 »
Nobody is getting many views. Apparently it's something to do with only views by logged in buyers counting. What I find much more worrying is that those logged in buyers seem to be buying a lot less of my work. Views are nice but there are no $$ for them.
Also, if yours is the PF that I think it is, then with all due respect, I think you need to have a think about what you are shooting. There are an awful lot of fairly easily found isolated objects already there, and more being uploaded daily. Those shots are unlikely to generate many DLs these days IMHO.

ya,I agree with u on my port.  definitely need to re think my shooting.

Sheriff

« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2014, 16:49 »
Either you stay on the wagon ladys and gents or get off of it.  Not a difficult decision- thus lets all get back to work...

dpimborough

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2014, 04:11 »
Put it this way the one price fits all sizes smells like dollar photo klub.

15% royalty for none exclusives is a sick joke (like getty/istuck) don't make enough money.

Even after adding 500 photos in the last 4 months sales are moribund.

If this new system means even lower earnings then they can go just blow it out of their backends.

>:(

P.S. If they wanted to improve sales why don't they get rid of that dumb as controlled vocabulary system??

Any image with unusual keywords is impossible to find both on iStock and Thinkstock!!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:20 by Teddy the Cat »

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2014, 18:30 »
+1
I've had good sales last 2 days. I'm wondering if it's people using up their credits before the confusing change occurs on 13/14. Or maybe it's just that my stuff is so fantastic. I just can't decide which it is.

ShadySue

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2014, 18:31 »
I've had good sales last 2 days. I'm wondering if it's people using up their credits before the confusing change occurs on 13/14. Or maybe it's just that my stuff is so fantastic. I just can't decide which it is.
Your work must be fantastic. I can't get many subs sales, far less normal ones.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2014, 18:38 »
+2
Your work must be fantastic. I can't get many subs sales, far less normal ones.
I guess I am fantastic.

On a personal note: I got a job last week, after almost a decade doing stock. I haven't uploaded for 6 weeks and I kid you not I had an email two days ago asking if it is possible to make a living doing stock.

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2014, 18:41 »
+2
Put it this way the one price fits all sizes smells like dollar photo klub.

15% royalty for none exclusives is a sick joke (like getty/istuck) don't make enough money

Better than 25 cents compensation for an image download while the owner of the company is a billionaire.

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2014, 19:39 »
+3
Buyers will use up their credits in the next week or so while they're worth more.  Then, come the 15th, they won't have any iStock credits.  They won't have anything tying them to iStock.  If I was a customer thinking about changing my main source of stock photos, the 15th would be the day to do it.

KB

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2014, 23:33 »
+1
Buyers will use up their credits in the next week or so while they're worth more.  Then, come the 15th, they won't have any iStock credits.  They won't have anything tying them to iStock.  If I was a customer thinking about changing my main source of stock photos, the 15th would be the day to do it.
It depends on the type of buyer you are, doesn't it?

If you are the type of buyer who mostly buys small sizes, then now is definitely the time to buy.

If you tend to buy larger sizes, especially L and bigger, it would make sense to wait until after the change. The files will suddenly be cheaper (in the case of XXXL files, much cheaper).

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2014, 12:56 »
about Istock,I have a question. Can someone tell me why I can't find what images have sold on my port. I've sold some and on my port it doesn't show views or DL.
I'm trying to find out so I can concentrate on what to upload.

Thanks

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2014, 13:50 »
about Istock,I have a question. Can someone tell me why I can't find what images have sold on my port. I've sold some and on my port it doesn't show views or DL.
I'm trying to find out so I can concentrate on what to upload.

Thanks

Could be PP (partner program) or the new subs payments.
Have a look here
http://www.istockphoto.com/user_stats.php?id=******&Offset=0
Should show you last months stats as a bar graph. The payments are for last month (if it is that)
Green bars are PP, a grey bar somewhere is subs all lumped together. You can see sub sales under "Image subs" to the left of your "my uploads" page.

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2014, 14:18 »
thanks, I appreciate it, I understand :)

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2014, 17:54 »
Day two of this week and my sales are definitely up. People are using their credits before the change over. Mind you I expect sales to drop off at the change over.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2014, 17:59 »
My sales are down...I guess the people who buy vectors are waiting until the prices for those are lower.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2014, 23:59 »
I don't feel as crazy now, because my DLs are up. I guess it's the same as everything else. Some people see an increase, some a decrease. And then we can each guess why.

Buy this is the one I see when I logged in:

On September 12 at 9 pm PST, iStock will be temporarily unavailable while we make upgrades. See what's changing > http://www.istockphoto.com/simplified-image-collections

My sales are down...I guess the people who buy vectors are waiting until the prices for those are lower.

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2014, 13:17 »
+5
I made the decision to drop exclusivity about a week before the changes were announced! Just serving my time until I upload to other sites.

I'm tired of having all my eggs in one basket. Every change iStock does seems to lower my income.