MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is it too late to get into Microstock?  (Read 10136 times)

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 15:04 »
+1
Thanks for all your replies. I am going to start, and continue till experience proves otherwise along the following lines:
1 People (model released) sell better than things, I want to shoot as much lifestyle as possible
2 I need to find what people are searching for
3 I want to produce what most contributors produce BUT with my 'twist' on it; I don't want to be so different from everyone that no one would search/buy my shots yet still not be so similar that my stuff would be lost in the pile
4 I need to find out how to get on the first couple of pages of searches for my keywords - keywords, did I mention keywords?
5 It so much easier to type my resolutions than achieve them.

Wish me luck!

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 16:55 »
+5
Wallpaper, you sound like a bright fellow with a clear understanding of what the market wants and how Microstock works. I'd guess that will give you an advantage over many that enter this profession. I've been shooting stock for six years - Micro and Macro, RF and RM. The industry is in turmoil like never before - prices in RM continue to fall off a cliff and commissions in RF are forever being shaved by the agencies. Competition gets fiercer by the day. If you were my son and you were proposing to consider Microstock as a serious career I'd advise you against it. Maybe as a way to earn some extra cash - but as a viable career with a sustainable future? No, sorry.

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 17:53 »
+2
Thanks for all your replies. I am going to start, and continue till experience proves otherwise along the following lines:
1 People (model released) sell better than things, I want to shoot as much lifestyle as possible
3 I want to produce what most contributors produce BUT with my 'twist' on it; I don't want to be so different from everyone that no one would search/buy my shots yet still not be so similar that my stuff would be lost in the pile
4 I need to find out how to get on the first couple of pages of searches for my keywords - keywords, did I mention keywords?

Wish me luck!

Luck doesn't count anymore in MS. What you need is - to sober up.

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 18:22 »
+2

Wish me luck!

This won't help you be successful. It's the opposite; you WANT to be different, very different than other contributors with good, marketable stuff. The only way to find out is to shoot differently and upload. My best sellers are images that others don't have.

stocked

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 02:29 »
+1

Wish me luck!
good summary! wish you luck!

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 02:59 »
let me know them... and i will change opinion about microstock

Dook

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29 »
Thank You for pointing out one of the common Microstock falsies. Portfolio size, or is it envy?

It's not how big or how many it's what they are. Some people with 500 make more than some people with 5,000. I wish the ego answer would go away and the standard put down "well how many photos do you have".

It's all about the work. I have friends with 800 that make a living....A good Living and I have friends with 10,000 that just get by. Things are changing in this business faster than I can type....That i know.
I think that both matter - size and quality. We are constantly trying to simplify things, one way or another. Unfortunately, it's not possible.

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 05:47 »
+3
If you can find something that makes you stand out - something unique, trendy, fun or quirky - to put your signature stamp on your stock, then all the better. It will make your images stand out and be recognisable, and have the buyers come back to you.

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 20:48 »
There are alternatives to microstock.
What alternatives ?

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 22:32 »
+3

Ubermansch

• Im designed to think
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 02:24 »
Microstock is an dead. (at least the easy money low hanging fruit) Now you have to climb to stay above the fray.

Take a course in marekting online or something. Hardly difficult. Something most fellow togs wont tell you.

Snow

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 02:55 »
+3
It was already too late when I started back in 2011 but you can give it a go and find out for yourself.
Would I have gotten into this business knowing how it all works? no way!
I knew what to expect but I'm still amazed as to how far these agencies will go for them to make a bit more while we make a bit less. Anyway as I said, you can have the great pleasure of experiencing it all by yourself.
Best of luck!

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 04:09 »
+2
Take a course in marekting online or something. Hardly difficult. Something most fellow togs wont tell you.

Please don't do that....this is really a waste of time much more than uploading to microstock  ;D ;D ;D

Dook

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 05:24 »
+2
Microstock is an dead. (at least the easy money low hanging fruit) Now you have to climb to stay above the fray.

Isn't it more logical for a photographer to be a photographer?
Any average photographer has many other options besides stock. Photographer can easily get into wedding photography, photojournalism, senior, family etc portraiture, event photography. These are the fields of photography that are easy to get into, no matter where you live.
The problem is that stock agencies believe that we have no options and that we have to do stock whatever humiliating move for contributors they make.
I refused many good job opportunities in last few years, just because I wanted to concentrate on stock. And I think agencies should appreciate that and have it in mind the next time they decide to do something that's harming contributors.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 08:32 »
I'd agree with Dook except "photojournalism" which is about as dead as Micro. Far too many hopeful people and publications are paying less and less and sometimes... nothing, except for covers or unique images. Assignment work is good if you can get it, but again, the positions are filled with well qualified, experience, pros.

Not a place to go Break In.

Find something where you work on a contract basis. Events are good. Groups or businesses will need someone because they don't have an in house photographer. Anyone who can make anything on Micro knows sharp and composition and can do weddings. There are some people who just got a camera and a flash and say "I'm a photographer".

Someone good and smart and - who knows marketing - can make it as an independent.

Ubermansch

• Im designed to think
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 11:07 »
I think many look at it the wrong way. You need some good stock. You need it on a site that has "reach" Then you need to SELL that stock...not to an individual buyer, but to search engines....sheesh...im spelling it out and nobody has an ear.

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37 »
I think many look at it the wrong way. You need some good stock. You need it on a site that has "reach" Then you need to SELL that stock...not to an individual buyer, but to search engines....sheesh...im spelling it out and nobody has an ear.

Not that nobody has an ear.  Just that when a agency gets up to 85 %  commission on my hard work the least they could do is market it.

Ubermansch

• Im designed to think
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 11:42 »
Yah...they dont do a thing...they just congeal pictures...if they get lucky an SE presents your work. Guarantee you most micro big earners go beyond the upload and wait bullcrap.

YOU GOTTA RUN PUPPIE

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39 »
+2
anonymous advice nneds some evidence before being taken seriously --
how about some examples of how your advice can work??  what agencies have you used this strategy with?  the only agency you even mention is stocktal which is hardly a recommendation

marketing and seo are done by the individual agencies not photographers --  except for a very few branded artists, buyers at agencies could care less who the photographer is

spending time trying to improve your seo on an agency is wasted time that could be better spent increasing your portfolio.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:44 by cascoly »