pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: fotolia US tax withholdings  (Read 4810 times)

« on: September 17, 2014, 15:50 »
+3
I changed the original topic title and the message because my tax advisor (former IRS attorney) has told me that Fotolia's withholding policy is actually being done correctly.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 13:21 by unnonimus »

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 18:25 »
+2
They intentionally ignore you because while this is shady business at best, it is big business for them in terms of cash flow. It would be my guess that if they actually did pay that to the US government they do so at tax time in April of each year since they have a US office. If this is true then they "float" your money and earn interest on it. Multiply that across all contributors who are in our shoes and it could be a big chunk of change.  There is no reason the wouldn't honestly explain their withholding logic to contributors unless there was dishonest intent. It is things like this that have earned them a reputation as liars, cheats, and thieves.   

Ed

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 18:34 »
+6
This is well known and it's why I closed my account at Fotolia (do a search in the forums).

Unfortunately, they can get away with it.  Rather than treating you as a vendor, they are treating you as a customer.  On one hand, while they don't allow you to get paid on your earnings (without penalty) until it reaches a certain amount, you are free to spend your credits on anything in their database at anytime you want....which is pretty slimy.

It's a technicality.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:30 »
+2
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 13:21 by unnonimus »

Carl

• Carl Stewart, CS Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 04:27 »
+4
That seems to be Fotolia's standard response.  Now they will ignore you completely.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56 »
+2
instead of resolving my tax issue they have now blocked my account.

does anyone know how to get an account unblocked?

That's sick.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:02 »
+4
instead of resolving my tax issue they have now blocked my account.

does anyone know how to get an account unblocked?

Well, where's Mat? He seems to resolve complaints made in these forums. Otherwise, that's FOTOLIA'S modus operandi and you can likely kiss your account goodbye.  A word of warning. If you want to keep your account and they haven't "quite" decided to screw you, then say nice things about them. They have rice paper thin skin and FACTUALLY retaliate against any contributor who criticizes them by closing their account. Biggest disgrace to micro stock of all agencies, followed by DP.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56 »
+3
They also send you a 1099 for income you have earned even though they haven't paid you - and may never pay you - I called them on it the first year and they said their accountants consider it income since you can use the earnings as credits to buy photos. Seems wrong to me. Most photographers have no need to buy someone else's stock photos. I closed my account this year and wish I'd never bothered with them at all.

I closed my account after making payout then earned more but they never paid out the rest. Wrote to them. Never heard back. Not going to waste my time for a few bucks but multiply that by thousands of contributors and they're coming out way ahead.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 16:43 »
Well, they're reading this board. They sent me an email saying they're sending me a final payment. Will report back when it arrives.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 17:45 »
Well, they're reading this board. They sent me an email saying they're sending me a final payment. Will report back when it arrives.

Meaning they are closing your account? I wonder if Mat is the one ratting everyone out?

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 17:50 »

Meaning they are closing your account? I wonder if Mat is the one ratting everyone out?

I closed my account a while back, but had some earnings after my last payout. No one is ratting me out. Someone from fotolia read this board and contacted me. It's a good thing. I was complaining that they didn't pay me the "credits" earned after the last payout, which are worthless to me since I don't buy photos and they have said they'll be sending payment via paypal so as far as I'm concerned that's a good result.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 17:52 »

I closed my account a while back, but had some earnings after my last payout. No one is ratting me out. Someone from fotolia read this board and contacted me. It's a good thing. I was complaining that they didn't pay me the "credits" earned after the last payout, which are worthless to me since I don't buy photos and they have said they'll be sending payment via paypal so as far as I'm concerned that's a good result.

Well that's good to hear because that means I have a lot of respect for Mat.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 17:57 »

Well that's good to hear because that means I have a lot of respect for Mat.

Glad you saw my post. I'd hate to have someone else misunderstand and think poorly of someone when I was actually trying to report a small victory for us contributors  8)