MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

What Camera System Will You Primarily Use in 2015?

Canon
96 (44.2%)
Nikon
64 (29.5%)
Fujifilm
1 (0.5%)
Hasselblad
2 (0.9%)
Leica
1 (0.5%)
Olympus
10 (4.6%)
Panasonic
7 (3.2%)
Phase One
1 (0.5%)
Samsung
2 (0.9%)
Sony
21 (9.7%)
Pentax
10 (4.6%)
No System, Smartphone
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: What Camera System Will You Primarily Use in 2015?  (Read 22706 times)

Tror

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41 »
What does "obsolete so quickly" mean? Replaced by newer models, newer technology from others or what?

ps I still use a 10-D and a 20-D for projects, like time-lapse, mounted on a telescope, in a remote box. Nothing is obsolete around here until it breaks.  :)

Old DSLR are perfect for Timelapses...until the shuttercount parts us :D

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 11:09 »
+5
Does it matter? If agencies started accepting photos from smartphones any camera from last decade should be good enough.

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 12:54 »
Does it matter? If agencies started accepting photos from smartphones any camera from last decade should be good enough.

Good point!

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 14:13 »

Maybe not. Probably a bit late but I added smartphone.

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 23:06 »
+1
I'm a Sony shooter, the only system that supports Zeiss, auto focus, weather sealed lenses. It really seems unfair to the rest of the photography world but I'll deal with it! :)

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 23:27 »
+1
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 19:51 by Copidosoma »

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 15:43 »
+2
Same here, will just use my lovely Olympus OM-D EM5 with the superb lenses. I have sold all my Canon gear and I actually only missed it once.

I'm loving my new Olympus mirrorless - beautiful detail and so light and easy to carry when hiking.

But, if I'm shooting on a tripod or at night and don't have far to carry the equipment, still love my Nikon D700. And for architecture, can't beat the D700 and a wide angle prime.

I like having choices and really can't go wrong with either system. For the micros even my Nikon Coolpix P7000 is fine - and actually in good light I've used it for some traditional stock sites and for clients as well. It makes for some really interesting shots at its 6mm widest.

If I buy any new lenses it will be for the Olympus, though right now with 3 digital lenses and an adapter for my three legacy lenses, I'm pretty well set. I do plan to get a superwide at some point, though with the 17mm it's wide enough for most uses.

I'd debated between the Sony and the Olympus but decided to go with the Olympus because of the wider choice of lenses. I do love the small size and find it very easy to focus manually.

Rinderart

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 21:08 »
Nikon since the late 50's,Leica,Hasselblad and large format.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 23:34 »
Canon is a marketing scam, they push their sensors to the limit, plenty of hidden de-noising and pre-processing, horrible greeny output, and their cameras feel like a toy compared to a nikon or a sony.

Canon has nothing to match the D800 and D810.
Most of the stockers are stuck with Canon just because they're locked-in and can't fathom to sell all their canon gear and switch to sony or nikon.

5Dmkiii ? not even on par with the new D750 and more expensive.
7D mkII ? just a little better than the ancient D300s !

Canon is also the most popular among women.

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 03:38 »
Canon 6D and some film cameras for fun.
I got my hands on a Sony A7r the other day and it's incredibly light, I am tempted to switch as I can use all my lenses om it via an adapter. The EVF could still be improved and presumably will be in the next version. There's still tons of life in the 6D, though.

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57 »
Nikon - as always ;)  I have now considered much, but I will stay with Nikon. There is no better flash technology than Nikons.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:00 by roede-orm »

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13 »
Still with Nikon D7000. And considering new D750. Probably combination of those two cameras would do the job for me, crop sensor is still good for sport photography, where my 200mm lens becomes 300 actually. Full frame for everything else...

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 08:40 »
Mostly Sony, sometimes iphone, or ricoh gr

Mark Windom Photography

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 15:40 »
Nikon D800 and 810.  Nikkor macro lenses.

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 20:22 »
Still love my Nikon D7000 but now have a Sony A6000 and that's getting all the outdoor and travel use.  The D7000 now lives on a tripod with the macro lens mounted.    There isn't much not to like about the A6000 except for the limited selection of lenses. 

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 00:04 »
There isn't much not to like about the A6000 except for the limited selection of lenses.

there are many adapters to fit nikon lenses on sony mount but i think they only work with manual focus.

or you can hack the lens using a sony mount and a chip, in that case everything should work 100%, there are a few companies selling kits for around 100$.

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28 »
Canon and Iphone - but I'm looking hard at premium compacts or mirrorless for editorial and documentary work.

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 20:04 »
Canon is also the most popular among women.

I can't think of a worse issue.  Avoid, avoid!

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51 »
Seems like a lot of people are moving away from Canon and Nikon into Olympus, Fuji and other companies that are offering new and innovative stuff.

I like my Canon and Nikon DSLRs. But I keep going to my Sony NEX-7. I haven't bought a Sony A7R yet because of lack of lenses. But Sony just announced a 24-240mm lens. With that combo I literally would have no need for my Canon or Nikon equipment anymore. In 2015 it's looking like Sony may be my main system and the Canon and Nikon stuff will probably be sold.

What company will your system be in 2015 and is that a change from what you've been using?

ETA: I clarified the wording to say "primarily use". Many people use multiple systems. What's the system you will use most in 2015?

From the early days, going from Rolleiflex medium format to 35mm, I used only Nikon F  then switched to Oly OM2. When we turned digital it took me a long time before I bought one, it was an Oly .
I like the mirrorless Oly as well, although I use it mainly for events photography .
Nikon and Canon will still rule the market because as from days of yore, the sales people told me, Nikon and Canon advertise the most in North Am. On the other side of the world, Pentax is more the favoured name because their glasses are superior and their prices are more realistic.
I am not surprise to see Nik and Can topping the list here, or anywhere else in North Am.

Oly is as superior, as Zuiko optics are used in scientific for ages. Same for Leica, who is now Lumix and Panasonic. But you will still find the masses going with Nik and Can, simply because the sales force are the most reliable .  Pity, because Oly and Pentax are just as good, if not better.
But no one will believe it, much like why Apple and Mac lost out to Microsoft.  The world still revolve around the hype of marketing. As always... like the terrible stuff you hear and see in music and movies, and the terrible food you see everyone eating (food that taste like paper) in the food courts of shopping center worldwide.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 12:58 »
+1
much like why Apple and Mac lost out to Microsoft.  The world still revolve around the hype of marketing.

Apple dug its own grave so many times it's a miracle they're still in business, and apart for DTP there's never been a single reason to use the Macs.

i was there when the Apple II was killed in the corporate market because Apple decided to price it way too high and their customer base switched in droves to cheap IBM PCs running DOS or even CP/M, after all they just needed to run Visicalc and Wordstar, so no big deal ...

the first Mac was a disaster in terms of sale as there was no software, it took them years to get the foot in serious DTP apps and this only happened because of Adobe, Aldus, Quark, not because of Apple's marketing drones !

later they always made sure to be the most expensive piece of hardware in the market and selling the most incompatible and proprietary accessories, all overpriced and hard to find.

in the meantime they never gave a sh-it about the CAD/CAM market and so they lost it and cad/cam users had to use DOS, OS/2, and SGI workstations, and of course they lost the gaming market and pretty much anything apart DTP, finally they were going to be sold for a pittance before re-hiring Steve Jobs ...

so ... just to remind readers that even good companies can fail miserably in a few years.

Nikon and Canon can pretty much follow the same fate if they downplay Sony.

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 14:37 »
so ... just to remind readers that even good companies can fail miserably in a few years.

Nikon and Canon can pretty much follow the same fate if they downplay Sony.

don't forget Samsung too. we keep forgetting that there are really only a handful of lense producers and also that most of the inside of our Nik, Can,etc are really made by Sony, Samsung,etc much like the lenses are made by the Tamron, Sigma, Tokina,etc..  we only pay for carrying a camera with a Nik Can name. much like we pay 5 bucks for drinking a 50 cts coffee with the logo on a plastic cup  ;D

status symbol make a lot of little ppl look important.
p.s.
not tryng to hijack this thread, paulie. i think it is relevant to the future of where cameras are going.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 22:44 »
don't forget Samsung too. we keep forgetting that there are really only a handful of lense producers and also that most of the inside of our Nik, Can,etc are really made by Sony, Samsung,etc much like the lenses are made by the Tamron, Sigma, Tokina,etc..  we only pay for carrying a camera with a Nik Can name. much like we pay 5 bucks for drinking a 50 cts coffee with the logo on a plastic cup  ;D

status symbol make a lot of little ppl look important.
p.s.
not tryng to hijack this thread, paulie. i think it is relevant to the future of where cameras are going.

i'm keeping an eye on Samsung since a long time because there's no reason they can't become a major player in photography and video especially considering their market leaders in display and sensor manufacturing ... by all means they're on par with Sony if we talk about R&D, patents and technology, but it doesn't mean they can get rich selling their own products, there are not many examples of "vertical companies" doing everything in-house .. if we look at computing HP, Xerox, and IBM were the only ones and it didn't last long, sooner or later they could not compete anymore and were forced to sell out or to use 3rd party components and finally their products became just an assembly of japanese and chinese technology sold at premium price, just like Apple and anyone else is doing now.

so, will Samsung become the king of the hill ? technically the can do it both for the camera bodies and for good lenses, just look at the quality of korean made Samyang lenses, they cost a pittance and they're almost on par with canon/nikon .. just to remind skeptic that making good lenses isn't rocket science.

problem is, i don't think Samsung is serious about the photo industry and they won't take the industry by storm anytime soon, their plan is just to grab a little slice of the market, photography is barely one of their many divisions, these guys make everything from sensors to container ships, it's a HUGE mega-company, when in was in Korea you couldn't walk a few meters without seeing something reminding you of Samsung or Hyundai, they're really big.

lens producer : wrong, there's a LOT of lens producer, you can buy any kind of lens online or offline for medical or scientific use and eventually make your own photo lens, this is pretty easy for prime lens.

it's for zooms that it gets messy as a typical zoom will require 5-6 lens packed in 2-3 groups all custom made and designed, this is not something affordable to the amateur enthusiast or a fly by night company selling online like Lensbaby.

for zooms the bar has been raised so high nowadays that you can forget about new companies popping out of nowhere and outselling tamron/sigma/tokina/canon/nikon, and the reason Samyang is not doing zooms or prime lens with AF is only due to legal issues but they could make a deal with Samsung in the future.

the future of cameras ? they will be cheaper and cheaper, that's for sure, we can forget about DSLRs built like a tank unless you're willing to pay 3-4000$ up.

said that, sensors and lenses will improve and same for AF and many features that today are considered "high end".

but i can't see why this should be an issue, what really matters is the photographer's ability to make good shots and this can't be automated or replaced by technology in ANY way.

if we talk about tech it's Photoshop being the key factor, not cameras or sensors or lenses.
a good camera just provides you the raw starting product, but the final product is all about post processing nowadays.

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2016, 12:49 »
A Df and a D610. I'm good. I'd like a "cheap" Leica Q but it's not cheap enough.

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2016, 04:46 »
Canon T4i with various lenses for me, waiting for the 5d4 to be released so I can upgrade

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2016, 06:52 »
Old thread but I am still using a Panasonic micro 4/3 more than anything else.  I also use the 1 inch sensor FZ1000 a lot and a smart phone.  Funny how I seem to of gone down in sensor size the longer I have been doing microstock.  I have a full frame camera but only use it occasionally.