pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Changes to DP's subscription royalties?  (Read 11062 times)

« on: September 18, 2014, 15:57 »
Just sold a file via subscription and received $0,44 for it. Yesterday I sold one and received $0.30 (as always before).
I couldn't find any announcement on their site and their royalty schedule still shows fixed amounts per subscription sale (from $0.30 to $0.35 depending on your level).

Anyone else seen something similar?

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 16:18 »
you're sure that's not an XS Credit sale?

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 16:22 »
Yes, thats strange. I sold a sub this afternoon (some six hours ago) and it was for $0.30. And about an hour ago I sold three subs, all for $0.44, one JPG size small and two vectors   ??? a mistake they made, I guess?

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 16:22 »

Yes, absolutely sure. See the screenshot:

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 16:24 »
Hmmm, my subs have been coming at $0.30, as usual today. Will keep my eye on the next ones...

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 16:26 »
Just sold one too - subscription size M for $0.44

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 16:27 »
Yes, thats strange. I sold a sub this afternoon (some six hours ago) and it was for $0.30. And about an hour ago I sold three subs, all for $0.44, one JPG size small and two vectors   ??? a mistake they made, I guess?

Maybe no mistake...
They did announce that they will change their subscription royalties, see here.

Until today I didn't believe they would really do this. And I can't understand why they don't announce such a change...

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 16:30 »

Huh... I'm seeing $0.46 subscription royalties today.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 16:35 »

Maybe no mistake...
They did announce that they will change their subscription royalties, see here.

Until today I didn't believe they would really do this. And I can't understand why they don't announce such a change...

Maybe, I guess we will see soon. Earlier this year, they increased royalties for vectors and they also didnt announce it or update this new royalty in that royalty table in their FAQ before they actually started to apply it.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 16:40 »
While any increase is appreciated, the concerns from the original thread I linked to still stand.
It would only be an increase from 3% royalty to 4.5% royalty...

If somebody would see a significantly higher subscription royalty, that would be a lot better.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 13:24 »
+3
subscriptions still $0.30 for me today :-(

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 14:05 »
Funny, I got one sub today and it is back to $0.30 :D  ::) it didnt last very long...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 14:10 by kaboom »

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 15:42 »
Mine have stayed at $0.30.  Maybe that is for one of the image pack "subscriptions"?

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 15:56 »
Mine are mostly 0.30 but some 0.44 lately and one 2.94 sub also.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 16:01 »
+1
Probably because some buyers are still using up old purchases.  I have had two of my micro friends tell me that subs have gone up nicely.  Maybe they actually did follow through and change their commissions. Who knows, time will tell.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 16:08 by Mantis »

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 17:27 »

Yes, absolutely sure. See the screenshot:

Screenshot matches my sales exactly.  Subscription sales on the 17th and before are all $0.30 but starting on the 18th they are $0.44.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 08:53 »
Yes it was a small typo:

"Currently, we are changing our monthly subscription royalties, so you will be receiving 44% out of each monthly subscription download."

You will now receive 44 cents, not percent. (just making this up, but wouldn't that be something?) Keep in mind that originally they changed subs to 3% without any notice. I really don't find them honest or forthcoming.

So, next it will be, Sorry it was a typo.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 20:36 »
Yes it was a small typo:

"Currently, we are changing our monthly subscription royalties, so you will be receiving 44% out of each monthly subscription download."

You will now receive 44 cents, not percent. (just making this up, but wouldn't that be something?) Keep in mind that originally they changed subs to 3% without any notice. I really don't find them honest or forthcoming.

If this really turns out to be true, then my port shall be removed.
Has anyone confirmed this via their support?

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 02:17 »
I continue to receive 0.30

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 04:47 »
few 0.44 and last two 0.30

Batman

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 07:36 »
+3
Yes it was a small typo:

If this really turns out to be true, then my port shall be removed.
Has anyone confirmed this via their support?

He was joking do you see the  :) ? But DP lies all the time I don't know why anybody stays with them. Below BS for earnings and going down. Time to go away from DP.

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 09:07 »
I understand the anger people in this forum are feeling toward DP.
It's justified and I hope DP is listening.

My perspective is a little different. I currently have approx. 1500
images with DP. Same with DT. I sell everyday through DP. I'm
lucky if I sell one through DT every five or more days. I've never
received less than $0.30 from a sale with DP. The same cannot
be said with IS and 123RF.

DP always sells images that have never sold with any other agency and while I sell more with SS (approx. 300 images) they are always the same images. DP will often reject an image stating: "We don't think your image has enough commercial value." I respect that. I interpret the statement as: "We don't think we can sell your image..." but it doesn't mean other agencies won't accept and sell the photo.
I believe when SS rejects an image stating: "The image is out
of focus" is their way of saying: "We don't think your image
has commercial value." They are, after all, photos taken with
a tripod. Manually focused and checked 100% before submitting.
I just wish they'd adopt DP's approach.

Until DP starts paying less than $0.30 (my cut-off point), I'm
staying with them but also hope that the concerns expressed
in this forum will prompt action on DP's part.

MxR

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 02:17 »
+11
Sorry but i think that if a company sell your images per 9,90 and pay you 0,30 you're begging while they are scamming you.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 05:36 »
+2
Sorry but i think that if a company sell your images per 9,90 and pay you 0,30 you're begging while they are scamming you.
Correct, it's a trust issue, they have been caught out far too many times.

I suggest you stop uploading before you get too far invested to easily get out. How many of us wish we hadn't given so much time/ work to Fotolia or IStock?

Even if your work isn't good enough to make regular sales elsewhere, you will gradually improve over time if you stick at it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:38 by Justanotherphotographer »

Uncle Pete

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 19:04 »
+2
Asthebelltolls, I think you need to read that focus rejection more carefully and understand what it says.

http://www.shutterstock.com/contributor-resources/rejection-reasons/why-images-get-rejected-for-focus

Focus. Your image is not in focus or focus is not located where we feel it works best.

That's not just out of focus.

Back to DP. I have had no rejection problems or issues from them. Maybe because I don't just shoot out whatever crap I took, upload 200 shots, and see what sticks. I think their reviews are more than fair and liberal, open to accepting a broad range of images and concepts.

Commissions: They were caught with a "partner" site selling our images at highly inflated prices and we are getting subs commissions. That's dishonest. At first they denied it, then they said, well everything that partner takes is a sub. Then how long ago they said, we''ll be paying 44% for all DLs.

Really? We don't get 44% now, and while 30c subs is meeting the industry standards, better than some like TS and slightly lower than the mid point on SS, it's being used for outside sales, not subs!

DP has tried to hide and trick us, over and over and when caught, denies or falls back to, we'll change it. So how many times do we need to catch them before people wake up, that DP is trying to play us and make money in shady ways.

In case some people here have lost track of time and promises. DP said in July that they would be repairing the 3% plan and the contributor payout scheme would be changed. (scheme is a good word for it)

I received an e-mail from DP regarding the 3% royalty.

Currently, we are changing our monthly subscription royalties, so you will be receiving 44% out of each monthly subscription download.

WHEN?

And better yet, how do we get 44% of a Sub download? If it's a $10 plan and they DL one, we get $4.40 ? That would be darn amazing!

Just watching and waiting. July was first promise. Mid-August second promise. Now it's September. Has something changed and I missed it?  ::)