pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Acceptance of "paintings"?  (Read 4152 times)

« on: September 19, 2014, 01:47 »
Photographed paintings (watercolor, oil, acrylic) are accepted by some agencies. What are the agency rules for acceptance of "digital paintings"?

IMHO, many "paintings" by simple oil and watercolor filters/plugins look atrocious, and most of them have pretty much the same generic look, but recently Topaz Labs released a new painting program called IMPRESSION which is much more advanced, and it looks very capable and extremely versatile. On their website (see link below) they show some impressive looking painterly transformations.

Topaz Impression

Similar to many HDR pictures that are overdone, one could create over-the-top impressionistic or other painterly renditions, but when used judiciously, it seems that it is possible to produce also quite subtle and quite pleasing pictures that could almost pass as real paintings.

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:30 »
I have digital paintings on over 30 sites with no issues. It is just photography only sites that don't take them. I think if a photo is good putting a filter on it to make it look like a painting makes no sense. There is some stunning art photography posed to look like classic paintings  if they were filtered it would kill them. Digital is just another medium for art illustrators like myself to use for its flexibility, and  lots of undo s help. All the top artists in this field who make digital paintings that looks like traditional art use Coral Paint or Photoshop  and more often both.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26 »
I hate to say this, but does anyone (buyer/licensee) want or need altered photos, that look like paintings? Is there a market?

HDR, it comes and goes. Old buildings in B&W, maybe apply some artistic brushes. How much is the demand or do people just look and say, "wow that's interesting."

I actually had a DL of one of these. So much for great ideas. There's no market for 3D anaglyphs.  :-\

If you have red/blue glasses you'll get it. Made from old stereoview and combined into one.

OK the question is, is there any market for "paintings" made from photos?

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:39 »

Correct! That's definitely part of the original question.
I wouldn't distinguish between the real and digital paintings (as long as the latter ones are done in good taste).

There is at least one of the frequent contributors here who happens to paint as well, and he has many of his paintings included in his stock portfolio, so I would assume that the paintings sell.
Hard to say whether they are bought for advertisements or for printing an art print to be hanged on a wall. Hardly to be used as editorials!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:09 »

I wouldn't distinguish between the real and digital paintings (as long as the latter ones are done in good taste).

There is at least one of the frequent contributors here who happens to paint as well, and he has many of his paintings included in his stock portfolio, so I would assume that the paintings sell.
Hard to say whether they are bought for advertisements or for printing an art print to be hanged on a wall. Hardly to be used as editorials!

Only if you believe that frequent contributor. Does he sell on IS?

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 13:04 »
What are the agency rules for acceptance of "digital paintings"?
Are you talking about making a digital painting in PS?

Or taking a digital picture of a painting?

Or taking a digital picture of a painting and then filtering and brushing it into a painting style image?

Each one has their own rules for getting accepted.

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 15:37 »

I'm not the contributor in question nor do I have anywhere near the quantity of paintings on-line that he does.  I do have about a half dozen photographs of my oil and pallet knife paintings on line.  The best selling one has over 100 downloads on SS and another 40 or so scattered across other sites. The second best has about 100 total across all sites.  The remaining all have double digit sales, but not as high as the two top sellers.  The best agencies for me for paintings seem to be SS, 123 and DT.  Most other agencies have accepted them, but sales are small to nonexistent.  I've yet to find one in a search, so I don't know where they may be used.  So long as you have a property release, there's no reason they would have to be submitted as editorial.

Batman

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:09 »

I'm not the contributor in question nor do I have anywhere near the quantity of paintings on-line that he does.  I do have about a half dozen photographs of my oil and pallet knife paintings on line.  The best selling one has over 100 downloads on SS and another 40 or so scattered across other sites. The second best has about 100 total across all sites.  The remaining all have double digit sales, but not as high as the two top sellers.  The best agencies for me for paintings seem to be SS, 123 and DT.  Most other agencies have accepted them, but sales are small to nonexistent.  I've yet to find one in a search, so I don't know where they may be used.  So long as you have a property release, there's no reason they would have to be submitted as editorial.

Property release is right, say that you painted the painting. I think the starter wants to make digital pistures of his own into digital pictures that look like paintings. Might be a area to fill.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 17:15 »
+1
How about a chalk drawing? I have one of mine that's a good 30 years old.  :o Just being funny, but it's true. Drawings, sketches, paintings, they should all be acceptable as long as you are willing to sign off on a property release to yourself.

I have one to myself, signed by myself and witnessed for audio. Seems foolish but if that's what they want, fine. I'll play along.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 22:37 »
I have done this week a lot of experimentation running the Topaz Impression program through some of my old images, and posted a program review with many examples on my blog (see below). Not having painted before, it is quite an experience to be able to paint by the one click method. However, it can be confusing trying to decide which of the many presets to choose.

Topaz Impression Review

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:26 »
+1
The main problem with putting filters on photos to make them look like paintings is artists do not paint exactly what they see. Judgement is made at every level for artistic reasons. Your pictures may have convincing looking brush strokes but they all still look like photos.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:06 by Paulfleet »