pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: quit exclusivity?  (Read 6711 times)

« on: September 20, 2014, 08:17 »
+4
Hi, I am exclusve at istock for some years. My income rises until 2012, since end of 2012 it drops down very sloooooow, but it drops down. The downloads are falling very fast since istock kills the XS size. I have produced mostly for web concepts and not for fashion or high end customers. The changes of istock in the last years brought me about the same money, and more and more falling downloads. I think its similar at the most of you.

Well - the change NOW I see with very mixed emotions. I produced the mose photos for web - who should pay for a web concept 40$?
Yes, its to early to say anything - but I think about droping my crown. I think about - and I want to ask here for some inspirations for or against my desicion.

I have about 5000 files , earn in the moment about 1000$ (but not this month) - is this realistic to earn the same "outside"? How long should it need to get this sum? I know, its hypothetic, but the guys of you are droping down the crown - how long have you needed?

(sorry for my english)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:23 by moniet »

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:43 »
+3
@ Leaf - it is not very cool that we can see alt name (post author) of people who want to stay anonymous on the main page.

@ Moniet
After seeing your portfolio I would say after 3-6 months you can earn 1000$. My assumption is that you keep your port at IS and upload in small batch to SS, Dreamstime, Pond5 and Alamy (sites I am contributor).

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 03:43 »
@ Leaf - it is not very cool that we can see alt name (post author) of people who want to stay anonymous on the main page.

It's a little bug that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of.  When you start a new thread is posts your log-in name, not your profile name.  If you want your profile name to be the same as your log-in name I can change it for you.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 13:21 »
Hi rene
Thanks... but my question is too - is this realistic "today" or was it realistic 4 years before ;) If I go to independed, I start as Zero with photo. 

and another question - how long does it need to get all files into the PP of istock? In the moment there are only about 100 old files in. I have read that independents make more of their money with PP than istock.

thanks

MxR

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 14:50 »
+1
Is possible.        I earn more han 1000 per month with 1000/1800 images in 7 micro sites (no stoxksy...no getty) because im a bad photographer. iWish you luck!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 23:02 »
+2
Yes, I think you definitely can.

But the important one is Shutterstock. Before you do anything, make sure you can be accepted in SS first. They are very strict on the technical side - so apply with 10 really great photos that have razor sharp focus on main subject area, zero noise, no color aberration, no cropping, perfect WB and lighting & no shadows.

Once you are accepted in SS, then you will not look back !

Good luck  :)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 03:29 »
+1
thank you.
Anja, I am at SS since more then 1 year with Illustration and Video. I earn only a few $ but I would have the "foot in the door", because of that I am accepted at about 8 agencys and have Video and Illu there for more then 1 year.
So I have passed already the first 500$ step at SS. (I think I must not new accepted with photo... or?)

What would be a good number of files for upload as starter? 100 in a week? More? less? Or is the risk for "sinking like a stone in nirwana" to high for this pictures if I upload to much?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:32 by moniet »

MxR

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:40 »
+1
thank you.
Anja, I am at SS since more then 1 year with Illustration and Video. I earn only a few $ but I would have the "foot in the door", because of that I am accepted at about 8 agencys and have Video and Illu there for more then 1 year.
So I have passed already the first 500$ step at SS. (I think I must not new accepted with photo... or?)

What would be a good number of files for upload as starter? 100 in a week? More? less? Or is the risk for "sinking like a stone in nirwana" to high for this pictures if I upload to much?

First, contact with support and explain your situation with a link to your port.

It can help you.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 13:51 »
+15
Today I have cancelled the crown. Hope I dont regret  ::)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 13:55 by moniet »

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 13:56 »
+4
Good luck!  The sales thread looks dim there...

Be sure to read MJ's blog and JSnover as well, who have turned indie.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:16 »
thanks :) I know MJ`s blog - but how can I find the blog of JSnover?

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 06:48 »
"   Nominate for Signature+ Collection

Important! Check box above if you would like to nominate this file for the Signature+ Collection. It will now be inspected by the Signature+ Content Editors. "

I see this text when uploading to IS. Has it always been there? Or can I now upload exclusive files without being totally exclusive?

Dook

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:55 »
No and No.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:09 »
"   Nominate for Signature+ Collection

Important! Check box above if you would like to nominate this file for the Signature+ Collection. It will now be inspected by the Signature+ Content Editors. "

I see this text when uploading to IS. Has it always been there? Or can I now upload exclusive files without being totally exclusive?
Allegedly if you're indie, clicking the box does nothing.
"Non exclusives cannot nominate files for Sig+. Ticking that box will do nothing. The developers will be making a change to the page to stop it showing to non exclusives."
It's been a couple of weeks at least.
Dook was right on both counts.  :)

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 07:31 »
Thanks Dook and ShadySue, now I'm well aware that this is not a trap trying to force me towards exclusivity  ;D

stocked

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 00:28 »
thanks :) I know MJ`s blog - but how can I find the blog of JSnover?

http://www.digitalbristles.com/blog-posts/

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 15:20 »
thank you for the link.

so, I forgot it, sorry - here is my portfolio. What do the experts say? Is it possible with 1000$ in 3-6 month like rene says?

http://www.istockphoto.com/profile/kerrick [nofollow]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 15:25 by moniet »

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 04:53 »