MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Bye Bye iStock. I wish they'll have ZERO video clips soon.  (Read 25822 times)

« on: September 21, 2014, 22:46 »
+30
Reasonable stock video creator won't sell for that cheap and disrespectful rate there.  It simply is bad for our business.  So, bye bye iStock.  I won't miss you.

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 22:48 »
+3
I think iStock will be the new home of POS amateur home video clips because anybody who pride in their work will deactivate (delete) their video clips from there.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 00:36 »
+1
i just started uploading to pond5 and ss. only IS requires Photojpeg and i don't like dealing with those large files.

why is IS so bad for video?

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:56 »
+10
I also deactivated my account. If you have any respect for your work, you do the same thing.

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:42 »
only IS requires Photojpeg and i don't like dealing with those large files.

P5 and SS require PhotoJPEG codec for animations as well!
https://www.pond5.com/document/video_requirements.html

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34 »
+1
i just started uploading to pond5 and ss. only IS requires Photojpeg and i don't like dealing with those large files.

why is IS so bad for video?

They pay us almost nothing!!  That's bad.

Pond5, SS and Fotolia is where I sell my video clips.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:04 »
+2
I think iStock will be the new home of POS amateur home video clips because anybody who pride in their work will deactivate (delete) their video clips from there.

They want to compete with YouTube  :o ;D  ::)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 13:51 »
+1
Fotolia pays well for video??

My Very Best :)
KimsCreativeHub.com

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 16:38 »

KimsCreativeHub.com

Yes, they do.  They pay you 24 credits for 1080p video sales.  24 credits are about $36.  So, they pay more than Shutterstock on regular video sales!

KB

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 17:29 »
+6

KimsCreativeHub.com

Yes, they do.  They pay you 24 credits for 1080p video sales.  24 credits are about $36.  So, they pay more than Shutterstock on regular video sales!
I wouldn't go back to FT even if they paid me $50 for 1080p videos.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 18:44 »
+4
I dropped FT because of their poor sales amounts. I was getting a $1.50 for some HD sales. No thanks. Worse than iStock if you can imagine.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 19:20 »
+2

KimsCreativeHub.com

I wouldn't go back to FT even if they paid me $50 for 1080p videos.

You and me both.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 22:42 »

I dropped FT because of their poor sales amounts. I was getting a $1.50 for some HD sales. No thanks. Worse than iStock if you can imagine.

I had dropped them also for .21 subs the lowest around.

What % do you get from the $36?

I am getting ready to dive into making animations and I will only upload to places that pay a high % or reasonable with good volume, a lot of work goes into making them.

I feel  Istocks new program for vids as an indi not enough royalty and vids as an exclusive thier $$ are quite high priced, could be good but not sure they will have the sales.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 22:49 »
+2
Example pond5 is my #1 pick at the top of my list :)

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 23:31 »

If you signed up thru US site 24 credits equals $24. 

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 23:55 »
only IS requires Photojpeg and i don't like dealing with those large files.

P5 and SS require PhotoJPEG codec for animations as well!
https://www.pond5.com/document/video_requirements.html

We accept the following codecs (in order of preference):
Unmodified camera-native codecs, including DV, DVCProHD, AVCHD, XDCam, H.264, HDV, etc.
ProRes 4:2:2: 1:1 export with native framerate and resolution, with as little compression as possible. (Please note: upon upload, we will automatically generate a H.264 proxy for your file, for buyers who do not use Apple codecs)
H.264: We accept H.264 when it's the camera's native codec or as a broadcast quality intermediate. Camera-native files can be uploaded without modification. For intermediate H.264, make sure that it is set to "best" quality, with all keyframes, and data rate automatic.
Low quality H264 exports will be rejected.
PhotoJPEG: for non-DV clips, including HDV720p. Quality level of high (75%) or better (please do not go above 95%, in order to keep file sizes reasonable).
Animation or PNG: ONLY for clips with embedded alpha channels

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 05:56 »
$24 forget it! :)

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58 »

I am getting ready to dive into making animations and I will only upload to places that pay a high % or reasonable with good volume, a lot of work goes into making them.

I feel  Istocks new program for vids as an indi not enough royalty and vids as an exclusive thier $$ are quite high priced, could be good but not sure they will have the sales.

No, $36 is the commission you get from 75 credit sales price of 1080P video.  It's way higher than $20-23 you get from Shutterstock.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 09:26 »

No, $36 is the commission you get from 75 credit sales price of 1080P video.  It's way higher than $20-23 you get from Shutterstock.
You must have had a sweetheart deal of something, because I never saw anything close to that. Most of the FT sales were in the $10 range to me. They rarely sold anything higher, and like I said the dollar subs killed any idea of continuing with them. There is no way they paid higher than Shutterstock. None.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:00 »
their business model is flawed and they know it, but they won't take any action unless they're forced to make a sudden U turn due to falling sales.

this can take years but ultimately it's unavoidable, it's a common pattern in many other industries too.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 16:36 »
Come on People, without our contents, they are nothing, just an empty website.  We'll unite and fight!

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 16:42 »
We'll decide which stock video/photo hosting site will survive, not them.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 16:45 »

Reasonable stock video creator won't sell for that cheap and disrespectful rate there.  It simply is bad for our business.  So, bye bye iStock.  I won't miss you.

Yup..15% royalty really low for indi and most of us can't win with the RC targets

KimsCreativeHub.com

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 23:47 »
+2
We'll decide which stock video/photo hosting site will survive, not them.

yeah, it's always a game a of supply and demand.

but it can take many years to reach critical mass.

many suppliers are leaving stock or leaving a specific agency becaue it's no more profitable but as long as they keep their portfolios there nothing is going to change soon.

the agencies will still make profits even without a steady supply of fresh new images/videos.
or at least, this will be the case for a long time until buyers get sick of being served with the same old stale cr-ap but are we sure this is a problem for buyers ? i see lots of stuff sold on Getty that was shot 20-30 yrs ago and nobody complains.

the irony is that photos are timeless and can potentially sell forever if they're so good, but in the actual stock market this benefits agencies more than suppliers.

no matter what, but until the cash $$ is split 50/50 agencies will always win the game and laugh all the way to the bank.

i mean find me another industry where the salesman earns up to 80% commission for each sale !

either selling photos is really one of the most daunting and difficult jobs in the world or we're just being scr-ewed royally.

and we're talking about selling for pennies, not for big bucks.

how hard is going to be selling pics for 500 or 1000$ ?
how come art galleries and photo agents split 50/50 ? are their clients "easier" than ours ?

i see photo exhibitions where the cheapest iphone "fine art" snapshot on a 2$ frame is sold for 250 bucks and nobody complains, we're talking about sh-it that wouldn't even be downloaded for free on Flickr.

i had a neighbour making a living shooting dogs and selling prints, yes just photos of * dogs and his clients loved it.

how many other proofs we need this industry is totally ripping us off ?

we're not even the mcdonalds or walmart of photography, at this point it's bulk sales from china like on Alibaba or dodgy deals on Ebay.

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 23:30 »

Hi, I'd like to introduce you Superimagemarket, you can get 80% here, although we now only accept jpeg files, we will support vector graphics and video soon, we are looking forward to your joining.