pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Popularity ranking  (Read 3551 times)

« on: September 24, 2014, 02:59 »
+1
When I look at my portfolio under POPULAR tab, I see many new unsold images on top than good selling images. I think it's better to put DOWNLOAD NUMBERS directly instead of POPULAR with strange algorithms.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:25 »
When I look at my portfolio under POPULAR tab, I see many new unsold images on top than good selling images. []

Me too.
I see unsold images, images sold one or two times, and some of my best sellers, but not all my best sellers

Maybe this means that some images can be popular even if the don't sell?

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:18 »
+1
Seems pretty normal to me. Popularity in SS doesn't mean most downloads, I believe it's more like downloads divided by their age (roughly, as there may be other factors involved). New images have a boost even without downloads, so a file uploaded today may appear at the top - but will go down if they don't sell.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38 »
+3
I'm guessing it's a response to the many complaints that new files aren't selling/ being seen. Seems they've changed the algorithm to get new files upfront a bit more.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:56 »
+3
I am seeing different results from different computers / network connections.
Maybe they're doing some testing again...

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:54 »
+2
They probably take into account views over a given time in addition to sales. So a file that is viewed 100 times over two years gets less weight than a file that is viewed 100 times over a month....something along those lines.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:58 by Mantis »

Uncle Pete

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:55 »
+3
I think you are right, except it's been that way for months, judging from the "Popular is Broken" complaints!  :)

I like it because if someone is trolling for my most popular and wants to steal them, they can't tell anymore.

Do buyers go to individual collections and look at "Popular"? Why? Just random, I like Shelma so I'll go look at her most popular? New might be a better choice.

Only place where I see New Image Boost, in Popular, helping most of us, is giving new images a chance in views, instead of just dumping them at the bottom of the heap, never to see the light of day.

Translation, I think it's a good thing that New Images are given a popular boost, to help them gain exposure. Not a bad thing.

I'm guessing it's a response to the many complaints that new files aren't selling/ being seen. Seems they've changed the algorithm to get new files upfront a bit more.

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:31 »
I'll give old Uncle Pete a big +1 on this. :)

Been going on forever and why so many people starting new threads about an easily 1yr old subject if not 2yr old subject, there are threads about this all over the place.

I think you are right, except it's been that way for months, judging from the "Popular is Broken" complaints!  :)

I like it because if someone is trolling for my most popular and wants to steal them, they can't tell anymore.

Do buyers go to individual collections and look at "Popular"? Why? Just random, I like Shelma so I'll go look at her most popular? New might be a better choice.

Only place where I see New Image Boost, in Popular, helping most of us, is giving new images a chance in views, instead of just dumping them at the bottom of the heap, never to see the light of day.

Translation, I think it's a good thing that New Images are given a popular boost, to help them gain exposure. Not a bad thing.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48 »
+1
Popular's been a bit odd for a while, but the high placement of images that have never sold is recent.

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 14:56 »
+1
Nope that has been going on for at least 1yr.

Popular's been a bit odd for a while, but the high placement of images that have never sold is recent.