MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do i violate anything if i sell my files with discounts elsewhere  (Read 3993 times)

« on: October 01, 2014, 05:55 »
Hi!

I'm a non exclusive vector contributor who needs some extra income within these days. -like who doesnt, anyways...

I'm going to ask if i bundle my vectors on my site or elsewhere and discount it to half price of stock agencies' single downloads, for "limited time". Do i violate any license or something? I took a look to a few ToS and couldnt see anything similar at first glance...

Seem like hell yeah! i can do such things! but i want to be sure before doing it so any experiences / thoughts would be nice

thanks a lot

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:06 by nullornotset »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05 »
+3
They are your files. You can give them away for nothing if you want to, provided you're not bound by any contract which forbids you to do so.
Why you would want to sell cheaper than SS beats me, but you can do it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:26 by ShadySue »

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:56 »

The idea of not sharing my income with stock agencies but with sharing with actual buyers.

Please reference that how much buyers pay (around $9) not how much we get (around $3) for single downloads.
So half of what shutterstock offers still above what we get.

I'm not bringing prices down here :p

another reason as i said; i'm in need some sort of rapid solution these days.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:20 by nullornotset »

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:09 »
Why share your income with buyers? It costs you time and probably money to sell your vectors to the buyer. PLUS you should be trying to derive an income from the creation of said vector. You are cheating yourself acting as the sales outlet allowing the buyer to get your time for free. It is not good business. You will eventually get tired of being a nice guy and decide that paying your bills is more important. Save yourself a bunch of headache and just ask the going rate.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26 »
Since you hold the copyright to your images, you can sell them wherever you want to if you're not exclusive at some other site. So no, you're not violating any ToS by doing so.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34 »
+3
Wasn't there one place that got upset if you sold them lower elsewhere?  Was that Fotolia?

Valo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:40 »
+1
PantherMedia

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 09:44 »
+1
Wasn't there one place that got upset if you sold them lower elsewhere?  Was that Fotolia?

It's possible to sell files for less than Fotolia?!  ;)

I do remember that PantherMedia has a sort of "exclusivity" option that gives you a higher % if you do not sell cheaper elsewhere.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25 »
+1

I believe it was.  I think they were particularly angry about Deposit and threatened to eject suppliers who dealt with DP.  Then of course they introduced Dollar Photo Club, which lowered the bottom for all concerned.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:06 »
+1
They are your files. You can give them away for nothing if you want to, provided you're not bound by any contract which forbids you to do so.

well said Sue.

heavens, in a phase when most of us are looking to make more money in microstock,
we have someone here who is promoting to earn less.
u r unique my friend whoever u r  ;D
but as Sue says, it's ur work, u can undercut yourself all u wish to.
then again, why not just go be a squegee kid at the street junction?
u make a lot more money that way ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 17:41 »
heavens, in a phase when most of us are looking to make more money in microstock,
we have someone here who is promoting to earn less.
u r unique my friend whoever u r  ;D
but as Sue says, it's ur work, u can undercut yourself all u wish to.
then again, why not just go be a squegee kid at the street junction?
u make a lot more money that way ;)

alright, i'm going to try that as well.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 17:47 by nullornotset »

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 17:52 »
it's not undercutting, or 'selling for less' - as the OP noted they're looking to set the price ABOVE what they get from  the agencies -- independents have a hard time getting noticed among all the millions of MS images, so beating them on rice is easy to do, AND generates a bit of income that otherwise would be lost.

in addition, many users don't seem to be price sensitive -- I'm constantly amazed when people buy my classics illustrated or NG maps on amazon when with a bit ore effort they could have found a lower price ON AMAZON!  it's a strange marketplace
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 17:54 by cascoly »

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 18:06 »
+1

Yeah, Fotolia was mad about Depositphotos coming along and undercutting them, so they forbid anyone above a certain rank from keeping their rank if they worked with DP.

Then, of course, Fotolia launched DPC and undercut everyone, so...

Uncle Pete

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:56 »
+1
Both disorderly and Valo are correct, it was Panther and it was also Fotolia. I guess they didn't want someone having any advantage in the race to the bottom of lowest commissions?  ::)

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 14:36 »
Do i violate anything if i sell my files with discounts ?

Common sense and maybe even your bottom line