pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How to improve new photo ratio?  (Read 2685 times)

« on: October 16, 2014, 15:05 »
Hi all!

Since January 2014 I started with making pictures. I got a Nikon D5100 and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and I like it a lot. Also I'm enthusiast about having a new perception, to make photo's of a cup of coffee for example. It's also nice to get known with Photoshop CC.

Anyway, I read lots of people upload thousands of pictures.

• How can they do that?
  • Do they edit every uploaded picture to get a title, keywords and all that?
  • How can someone make so much different pictures?
  • Can we upload series too?

I'm a bit confused. Off course I'm a starter. I just got like 5 photo's at Fotolia, 11 on 123RF, 3 on Dreamstime. My editorial ones with people are easily accepted. By iStock too, but there for I had to make a better description of the happening.

Of course I'm very new, but I spend a lot of time making pictures. I guess I will try to make isolated pictures, and more of people.
What do you think about the questions above and how do you experience this?

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 15:13 »
+1
Time is your friend when it comes to large photo counts.  If you do 7 photos a week, you'll have 1825 photos in 5 years.  Just a photo a day :)  Yes - every photos needs titles and keywords, but if you do a series you can copy them around.  Whether you can do a series or not depends on the site, but most seem to allow it to some degree.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 15:29 »
Time is your friend when it comes to large photo counts.  If you do 7 photos a week, you'll have 1825 photos in 5 years.  Just a photo a day :)  Yes - every photos needs titles and keywords, but if you do a series you can copy them around.  Whether you can do a series or not depends on the site, but most seem to allow it to some degree.

Allright, thanks. So people are probably photographing for years and have build such a amount of photographs. I could be outside making photo's for a couple of hours and just have 1 that is nice enough, so I have to improve that, haha.

Milleflore

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:05 »
+2
I have been in Microstock for 2 years with a portfolio size of 2,000 images. I decided at the beginning to treat it like a business and work on it everyday, Monday to Friday. I average about 5 images a day. Some more, some less - with a few weeks off a year. If you decide on a plan and stick to it, you should see results. Also, the more you study and learn the technical side of things, the more sellable images you will be able to produce per day.

I hope this helps. Good luck  :)

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01 »
Its good to have a target - I aim for at least 20 a week and try not to spend too much time post processing

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:19 »
I am for 6 years in MS with a portfolio of 1400 images. But i know that if i want to sell better i have to improve my number of files. I did a lot of photo sessions around my country and around Europe and i have a lot of "raw material", i just need to set a day target (3-4/day means 100/month). Last year a uploaded only 450 images, and i consider it a too small number.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 15:31 »
I've submitted over 20,000 images to different agencies, microstock for the past 7 years.  I edit and keyword in batches and use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything

I've described the workflow in http://cascoly.com/mssub1.asp  - the most important thing is to get organized and work efficiently; there are oter descriptions here that give additional suggestions

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 16:54 »
I know a guy who made 80,000 images in just a bit more that a year. He's amazing but possible.