pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock closed my account, because I'm from "Iran".  (Read 36758 times)

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 00:30 »
Parent company Getty may be US based, but isn't iStock in Canada?  Seems they follow Canadian tax regulations.  Are they following Canadian sanctions too?

sure, legally it might be a grey area but it's irrilevant since Canada is a member of NATO and sanctions have been agreed by all NATO countries and partners.

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 00:33 »
+11
@Ramin: What did the October 7 email say?

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 01:59 »
+2
No, I had not two accounts. My first member name was "RaminKhojasteh" and then I sent an email to iStock team for changing my member name to "Ramin-3D".
Before that I became an exclusive contributor on the iStock, I had a few accounts in other royalty sites: Shutterstock, fotolia, dreamstime, and ... and shutterstock & fotolia & dreamstime closed my account at the same time and no reply to my emails.

You are an IS exclusive contributor , but you have accounts at other agencies at the same time?

he said he had account at the other sites before he was exclusive.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 02:29 »
+3
It sounds as if regulatory authorities in the US have sent a notice to microstock companies instructing them to delete Iranian accounts. I'm actually surprised there was any way of stock agencies sending money to Iran in the first place.

Micky_Mango

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 03:02 »
+3
Why would US regulatory authorities have any  jurisdiction over another sovereign country, ie. Canada?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35 »
+1
Seems like a few people don't know that iS is based in Canada and their legalese is prefaced by 'under Canadian / Alberta law'.
E.g. the ASA:
" Applicable law
    The Site is controlled, operated and administered by iStockphoto from within the Province of Alberta, Canada. The Site can be accessed from all provinces and territories of Canada, as well as from other countries around the world. As each of these jurisdictions has laws that may differ from those of the Province of Alberta, you acknowledge and agree that this Agreement will be governed under the laws of the Province of Alberta and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein (without reference to conflicts of laws principles). You hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Province of Alberta, Canada with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement. "
Also in the Membership agreement and 9.1 of the Content Licence Agreement.
In their Contact Us page, their Calgary address is given.

Seems also like some didn't read reply #10 above by Copidosoma which gave a link to the relevant sanction information. Even if they didn't click on the link (but opined anyway), .ca is a strong clue.
http://www.international.gc.ca/sanctions/iran.aspx?lang=eng
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:44 by ShadySue »

Lightrecorder

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:40 »
+5
Gostwick, you seem to be a bit 'biased'* as well

*I wanted to use another word there, but I am sure you know what I mean with 'biased'

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 04:37 »
+5
Why would US regulatory authorities have any  jurisdiction over another sovereign country, ie. Canada?

Because they do. If you don't do what they demand for "security purposes" they can stop their companies doing business with your country and your government doesn't want them to do that. In Qatar, banking is subject to all sorts of US-demanded restrictions "to prevent money-laundering". Fifteen or 20 years ago the Qatar Monetary Authority decided the rules, now the Qatar Central Bank is imposing US-stipulated regulations - I suppose it's "globalisation".
But as iStock is owned by Getty, they only have to threaten Getty with action if it doesn't apply US regulations to its foreign subsidiaries. They could, for example, ban US access to iStock's site.
The US isn't the only bully on the block. Switzerland is losing its special trading relationships with the EU because the Swiss voted on something in a referendum that is contrary to EU rules on free movement of people. Scandinavian non-EU members also have to work within EU laws to maintain trading relationships.
PS - ShadySue - the guy said that SS, FOT and DT, all US-based, had closed his accounts at exactly the same time, which gives good reason to think that the initiative came from the US authorities rather than the Canadian side.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:43 by BaldricksTrousers »

ShadySue

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48 »
+1
No. The OP said before he was  iS exclusive he had accounts with the US based agencies who closed his account at the same time. Then he became iS exclusive and as of 7th Oct they closed his account.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 04:59 »
+5
I suppose it's "globalisation".

no, it's blackmailing.
it's "do as we say, or else ..."

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 05:08 »
+1
These threads are always so pointless. We haven't even got half the story here. The OP hasn't told us what the 7th Oct email said. It could be nothing to do with his nationality. What I do know is that when someone can be bothered to look into it has always turned out to be something different than what has been stated.

I mean what is this about?:

"No, I had not two accounts. My first member name was "RaminKhojasteh" and then I sent an email to iStock team for changing my member name to "Ramin-3D".
Before that I became an exclusive contributor on the iStock, I had a few accounts in other royalty sites: Shutterstock, fotolia, dreamstime, and ... and shutterstock & fotolia & dreamstime closed my account at the same time and no reply to my emails."

These accounts were before he became exclusive with IS yet they were just closed now? How does that work?

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 05:11 »
+3
so a stocker living in KABUL is ok while anyone from Iran is now a pariah ??

what the he-ll ... americans are a laughing stock.

Of Course: Government of Afghanistan is controlled by the USA, Iran no.

I can't believe.... This story, if confirmed, smell of McCarthysm and Tydings Committee
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:18 by Red On »

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 05:46 »
No. The OP said before he was  iS exclusive he had accounts with the US based agencies who closed his account at the same time. Then he became iS exclusive and as of 7th Oct they closed his account.
Oh, it's ambiguous. Could be read either way. I took it that he had removed his portfolios but left his accounts open.

ShadySue

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 06:06 »
+3
True it could be read your way.
 So could the OP share what was in the email of 7th October?
I'm sure if his account was closed  for another reason Lobo will  be along soon to tell us.
Meanwhile,  can anyone find any active IS accounts from Iran? 
And there's still the intrique that Sean's homepage is still on iS but the Irani accounts are 404 errors.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:55 by ShadySue »

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 06:15 »
+2
UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 23.

(1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
(2) Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
(3) Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.
(4) Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 06:22 »
+1

I am wondering why he prefers no to tell what did the October 7 email say...

There are lots of Iranian contributors on Shutterstock, Borna Mirahmadian
http://www.bornamir.com/section653944.html
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/bornamir

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40 »
And there's still the intrique that Sean's homepage is still on iS but the Iraqui accounts are 404 errors.

I still have an "account".  It was only my contributor agreement that was terminated.

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 06:49 »
+1

But is he registered from Iran or from somewhere else? It isn't the nationality that is under sanctions, it is the country. There wouldn't be a sanctions problem for an Iranian based outside Iran.

PZF

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 06:56 »
+9
Indeed. The rest is speculation at best.
Come on Ramin - what did the email of October 7 ACTUALLY say? And what did the letter from other agenceis say?

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 11:01 »
+5
There are indeed trade sanctions against Iran, the photographs would be considered "goods" and Istock is abiding by Canadian law, prohibiting:

importing, purchasing, acquiring, shipping or transhipping any goods that are exported, supplied or shipped from Iran after May 29, 2013, whether the goods originated in Iran or elsewhere, subject to certain exemptions;

I'm sorry this has happened to you as an individual, it really s*cks.  There is more info here http://www.international.gc.ca/sanctions/iran.aspx?lang=eng
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:05 by Pixart »

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 15:07 »

Hi,
I didn't receive any email on October 7th.
Some Iranian artists are citizens of other countries too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 16:13 by Ramin »

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 15:12 »
Indeed. The rest is speculation at best.
Come on Ramin - what did the email of October 7 ACTUALLY say? And what did the letter from other agenceis say?

I don't know. I received nothing. After that some agency closed my accounts I sent to them a few emails but they didn't say acceptable reasons.

Lightrecorder

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 15:17 »
+12
If this is because of the embargo, at least they should communicate that, instead of just closing accounts without any explanation. These millionaires have no issues with taking someones livelyhood, sentencing someone to poverty, when soaking in hottubs, getting their d.cks sucked by glamour girls. Do they actually realise what the impact is of their decissions. This is a job to support their family for many, not a hobby making pennies.

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 15:17 »

But is he registered from Iran or from somewhere else? It isn't the nationality that is under sanctions, it is the country. There wouldn't be a sanctions problem for an Iranian based outside Iran.

Yes, I registered from Iran. Some of Iranian are citizens of another country. I have only Iran passport and other certifications.

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 15:23 »

I did not receive any email on October 7. I received only (November 6):

Dear Ramin,

The administration team at iStock has revoked your forum privileges.  Comments from iStock Administrators (if any):

Closing account as per our email to you on October 7, 2014

If you would like to discuss this with client relations, please email [email protected].

Best Regards,
iStock.com

I received this email November 6 and they wrote about October 7 !!!!!! :o
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 16:13 by Ramin »