pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: HUGE UPTICK ON SALES  (Read 36069 times)

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 08:34 »
I always like to look at the IS portfolios of some of those who are stating 'fantastic month'. It does give some sort of sense of balance to see how their sales are there, purely because it's easy to see sellers stats on IS as opposed to other sites. It helps to show what someones definition of 'fantastic sales' actually means.
Here is a selection of sales data for some of those reporting their sales....
100 files sold in a year.
40 files in 2 years.
50 files in 3 years.
1400 in 8 years.
3600 in 7 years.

It is tricky when you don't know the numbers involved. A huge uptick could be a 300% increase from 5 sales per day to 15 sales per day. That could be down to uploading a handful of decent new images rather than something else.

If it's from say 200 to 600 sales a day that is more interesting.
I'm not sure how many people are getting 600 sales a day, that comes out to $4-5 million a year.
I get over 200 a day on week days and I doubt I'm top 5%
ETA and I don't make anything like $1 million/year!!!!
I was talking about exclusive sales.  Going by my numbers if I had 600 a day it would be closer to $6 million per year with GI and subs sales.  Just regular sales would be over $7,000 per day.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39 »
+6
I was talking about exclusive sales.  Going by my numbers if I had 600 a day it would be closer to $6 million per year with GI and subs sales.  Just regular sales would be over $7,000 per day.

Ahhh okay, sorry I thought this was about an uptick in sales on SS

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40 »

The thread is but the reply you made was quoting someone talking about iStock sales.

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05 »
+8
GOOD MORNING.
Wake up now and stop dreaming about 600 DL/day, millions...
Even Yuri, Lisa,... are fallen from the sky on hard ground.
We are in 2014.

Kind regards.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 11:26 »
+1

The thread is but the reply you made was quoting someone talking about iStock sales.

Sorry, I read their quote as using IStock figures only because they are an easy way to gauge the level of a contributor. Just because they went out of their way to explain that:
  "It does give some sort of sense of balance to see how their sales are there, purely because it's easy to see sellers stats on IS as opposed to other sites. It helps to show what someones definition of 'fantastic sales' actually means."

I guess I could be wrong and have mis-read it ?

Micky_Mango

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33 »
+1

Sorry, I read their quote as using IStock figures only because they are an easy way to gauge the level of a contributor. Just because they went out of their way to explain that:
  "It does give some sort of sense of balance to see how their sales are there, purely because it's easy to see sellers stats on IS as opposed to other sites. It helps to show what someones definition of 'fantastic sales' actually means."

No, you understood it correctly. I was trying to gauge what a BME or WMY or whatever was reported meant to the person involved, in terms of increased or decreased sales. Was it 1 extra sale per month or many?

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 11:43 »

It's ok, iStock downloads (at least for exclusives, I don't know whose numbers they were posting) are much different than SS numbers.  Ten sales per day for an exclusive is closer to 150 per day at SS.  So what may look like a small increase at iStock would probably be equal to what someone on SS would call a large increase.  If you don't get a lot of dl's per day going up 2 could be significant for iStock but wouldn't really be much at all at SS.

If you look at the numbers posted in the poll the average SS contributor gets about 23 sales per day which dollar wise that's about 1.5 dls per day for an exclusive.  So a 'huge uptick' could be going from 23 to 35 daily sales which would be just about an extra .5 at iStock.  .5 sales per day doesn't seem like much while going from 23 to 35 would seem like a lot.  Just something to think about when comparing numbers across sites.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:09 by tickstock »

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05 »
Very solid month for me. ELs are back with a vengeance (very nice to see).

Things look good in the world of the small players. 8)

Rinderart

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 13:18 »
Slight slump the last few days but, still much better than what it was for 16 Months. still won't be a BME unless something dramatic happens.Number of DL's lower, Income Higher.Good footage,OOD's and SOD's strong.

Dook

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 15:10 »
How can anyone click Disagree button when you are talking about your stats?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 15:22 »
+1

It's ok, iStock downloads (at least for exclusives, I don't know whose numbers they were posting) are much different than SS numbers.  Ten sales per day for an exclusive is closer to 150 per day at SS.  So what may look like a small increase at iStock would probably be equal to what someone on SS would call a large increase.  If you don't get a lot of dl's per day going up 2 could be significant for iStock but wouldn't really be much at all at SS.

If you look at the numbers posted in the poll the average SS contributor gets about 23 sales per day which dollar wise that's about 1.5 dls per day for an exclusive.  So a 'huge uptick' could be going from 23 to 35 daily sales which would be just about an extra .5 at iStock.  .5 sales per day doesn't seem like much while going from 23 to 35 would seem like a lot.  Just something to think about when comparing numbers across sites.

It's a 33% uptick either way, which is pretty good.

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 17:04 »
+1
I always like to look at the IS portfolios of some of those who are stating 'fantastic month'. It does give some sort of sense of balance to see how their sales are there, purely because it's easy to see sellers stats on IS as opposed to other sites. It helps to show what someones definition of 'fantastic sales' actually means.
40 files in 2 years.
50 files in 3 years.
1400 in 8 years.
3600 in 7 years.

Unless their Shutterstock earnings are more than 10 times what the get on istock, like mine are. I have more than 50,000 lifetime sales on Shutterstock and fewer then 300 on istock.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 17:06 by robhainer »

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 10:23 »
LAST month (October) I sold more individual sales than I have since 2011.  Way more than any month in between. BUT they were mostly subs, so my RPD was only .62.  Most months my RPD is around .9 which would have made October a pretty spectacular month!   

At the moment my earnings are tied with my July and August earnings.  Nothing to complain about, nothing to brag about :)

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 14:32 »
40 files in 2 years.
50 files in 3 years.
1400 in 8 years.
3600 in 7 years.

Unless their Shutterstock earnings are more than 10 times what the get on istock, like mine are. I have more than 50,000 lifetime sales on Shutterstock and fewer then 300 on istock.

I think you are not the only one in this situation. 

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 11:48 »
+2
Wow, I haven't seen sales Like this in I don't know how long. At least 16/18 Months. I hope others also. Sure feels good, Been Uploading Like a madman.

Wow, I haven't seen sales Like this in I don't know how long, maybe only in my first month!

Good luck rinderart. It's a wave.

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 13:41 »
+5
Over at SS one of the almost daily contributors to the "Gloom" thread has now declared November as a BME.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 13:56 »
Over at SS one of the almost daily contributors to the "Gloom" thread has now declared November as a BME.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!

Sales are down, people complain.   They go up, people are happy.  Seems normal to me.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 16:35 »
I am having the worst sales since one year on Shutterstock.
My sales are about half what they should be.

To compensate Fotolia, Depositphoto and 123 RF are the double than usual

Communicating vessels???

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 17:01 »
+1
Well, if the most successful older images are indeed pushed back on SS searches, many buyers won't waste their time looking for those images through many pages when they can find them quickly on the other sites using the "most downloaded" sort sequence.

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 17:44 »
+1
only today are  low sales, is today  thanksgiving holiday?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 17:54 by Cesar »

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 17:57 »
+1
only today are  low sales, is today  thanksgiving holiday?
Just the one.  :-D
(answering the original question about whether a lot of countries have holidays today.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 19:03 by ShadySue »

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 21:40 »
November back to normal, last October was the greatest 400% upward to the sky.

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49 »
YMY for me so far - # of sales is less than usual by about 15-20% and nearly all subs - only positive note is that I added a few new photos/photo-illustrations earlier this month & this week (holiday and scenic travel) and have a few new ones that are selling - big uptick in # of sales this week too after I added the latest batch so hopeful December will be better. Unless I get a sudden run of ELs no hope for this month catching up to average.

I have a small port but my sales #s have been pretty predictable - encouraged that new files are selling & not getting completely lost in the shuffle. Trusty standbys are still selling too e.g. I uploaded 2 new photos of a particular travel landmark of which I have other views that've been online there for a few years, both the old and new versions have been selling this week so old aren't losing their place.  A very broad location search (broad region rather than specific town) by popular brings up 20 pages of content and I have 4 of the old ones on page 1 and 2 more on page 2 - the two new ones are first on the "new" search with the same very broad term and they are followed by a string of stuff that seems unlikely to be what someone punching in that term would be looking for (homes with a "sold" sign in that popular vacation destination) so hopefully this is giving those new ones the edge they need to sell and not get buried in the database.

Very unscientific but I think it's always a combination of good pix and luck that get photos seen. My best from that locale has sold 153 times (more a concept than travel image), and then 2 more are just under 100 each - my total port is only 236 images with lifetime sales under 3,000 on mostly travel and editorial pix - a good day for me is 5-8 sales and a few ELs can influence whether my month there is poor, average or good. My best pix from that locale are not on SS and have been licensed for calendars, travel guides, travelandleisure.com, Coastal Living magazine, and Smithsonian magazine, but my earnings from these "seconds" on SS and the other micros have been worthwhile, though far less than traditional sales, and micro sales alone have covered my costs for two trips there.

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 06:17 »
November was great and Dec. starts very well as well ;) I expect fat Santa this year!

One fast question here - where can I find history of chosen file, how many times and with what licences it was sold? "Image gallery stats" in beta version doesn't give me all info that I want...

DC

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 07:46 »
At the top of the "Earnings Summary" page there are links to By Month, 25-A-Day, Enhanced, etc...

Those will list how much money and how many sales each image has made under each different license.