MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

What camera should I get ?

what camera should I get ?
3 (75%)
what camera should I get ?
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: what camera should I get ?  (Read 3723 times)

« on: November 23, 2014, 22:01 »
What are the top 5 cameras out there for stock?

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 22:07 »
No, no, no.

A good place to start is to figure out what your budget is, as well as what your primary concerns are when it comes to a camera - low noise, fast write, etc.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 22:17 »
my budget is $1000 more or less- ...

Dook

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:55 »
I would go with used Canon 5D II or Nikon D700.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19 »
+7
In some hands the top five cameras for stock perform the same as the bottom five cameras for stock.

The question should be - what do I want to photograph and how can I get there without blowing a load of cash, only to find out I'm crap and I can't make any money out of it.

Entry level canon, nikon DSLRs for cheapness with reliability and quality to begin with and if you discover what to photograph at the same time as how to photograph it you'll make more than enough money to upgrade when you are ready.

FWIW - A good chunk of my top earning images were knocked out with a canon 1000D and 50mm 1.8
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:25 by Red Dove »

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:36 »
In some hands the top five cameras for stock perform the same as the bottom five cameras for stock.

The question should be - what do I want to photograph and how can I get there without blowing a load of cash, only to find out I'm crap and I can't make any money out of it.

Entry level canon, nikon DSLRs for cheapness with reliability and quality to begin with and if you discover what to photograph at the same time as how to photograph it you'll make more than enough money to upgrade when you are ready.

FWIW - A good chunk of my top earning images were knocked out with a canon 1000D and 50mm 1.8
I think Red Dove has it there. If you have to ask "Which is the best camera" then I'd have to ask if you are already a photographer with existing gear?
It's not easy to just start from cold in microstock now and make money at it.
If you are already a photographer, and you have gear then use that, unless it really is old or low end P & S.
Otherwise most of the modern DSLRs will get you started, as well as a good few of the better  P & S types.

fritz

• I love Tom and Jerry music

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:19 »
It's not the camera it's the person behind the camera which makes...

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:34 »
Thanks for all your replies and advices... .. Ive been doing photography for a long time already...Its always been  my passion but for the past years but  I stopped doing it for different reasons..  I am good and also I have very good ideas for stock photos (using my daughter as my primary model.... ).Honestly I am looking to go back to it but would like advice on what camera should I get.....  I also tried stock photography several years ago but got rejected  (noise..etc), and just stopped trying..
Now I wont stop!!
Gracias...
... and  Nikon D700 is my primary choice right now.., what do you guys think

Tror

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51 »
...considering your Budget I think I`d go with a Nikon as well...do you own already Lenses?

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 13:55 »
Mr. Locke is right. consider first your budget. many ppl make the mistake of buying the top of the line only to have no money left for top of the line lenses. that is like buying an expensive car or house and leaving it unfurnished.
secondly, the photographer is more important than the camera. many excellent works are done with more humble equipment, much like anything in art, music, photography,etc.. the technique and knowledge must be there first. i remember laughing when at a seminar i overheard new musicians bragging of how they have the most expensive equipment or the most expensive audiophile setup.
similar case when i overheard a customer asking the camera salesman to recommend the best camera for her son because he want to shoot like a pro.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 20:56 »
I dont have any lenses just thinking of getting a 50 -1.8...?
. I agree with etudiante_rapide... I dont think to shoot beautifully you need the best equipment.. whats important is everything else ..I have had several cameras already in the past and thats the reason I am ready for the best I can afford finally...

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 21:14 »
http://mariajosesanchez.carbonmade.com/ [nofollow]

This are some pics I took a looong time ago..I am costarican but this are from South Africa.. never used them for anything ..just for this particular website if you guys want to check it out.gracias....

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 14:39 »
http://mariajosesanchez.carbonmade.com/

This are some pics I took a looong time ago..I am costarican but this are from South Africa.. never used them for anything ..just for this particular website if you guys want to check it out.gracias....

pura vida.
tento hablar espanol aqui. de suyo sitio, no puedo ver tanto pq no tienes mucho fotos alla.
pero, suyo estilo alla estan mas artistica creativa, no estan las obras para agencies micostock como Shutterstock,etc. si tu quieres mandar los fotos para microstock, esta mejor tu visita los sitios ver los fotos que tienen exitos.
back to english , which is safer since my spanish is terrible lol. the examples you give are much to see the range of your work, but if you plan to work in microstock you will have to shoot less artsy stuff .
the artsy stuff may be for offset or stocksy, but i really am not qualified to talk about stocksy and offest here. maybe SJLocke who is with Stocksy can comment directly on that.

pura vida.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 20:41 »
tu espanol no esta nada mal! pura vida para ti tambien!.. thanks for the advice.. I will check out those sites you mentionned..gracias...!

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 21:40 »
Si quers tener algn xito en esta industria primero deberas estudiar fotografa.  Nada vas a lograr con la mejor cmara si no sabs nada. 

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 21:59 »
Si.. !!!tienes razon.. estudiare de fijo en el 2015... he tomado varios cursos pero hace mucho y tengo k empezar de nuevo.. esa es la idea.. Este ao tomare fotos, seguire en mi trabajo  y ahorrare para ir a la universidad... definitivamente..Estudie diseo interior y he tomado fotos de interiores tambien pero decidi que el diseo no es lo que amo en esta vida sino la fotografia (siempre lo supe)..!asi que de fijo estoy ansiosa por ir a la U!!!
Gracias !!

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 22:06 »
Si.. !!!tienes razon.. estudiare de fijo en el 2015... he tomado varios cursos pero hace mucho y tengo k empezar de nuevo.. esa es la idea.. Este ao tomare fotos, seguire en mi trabajo  y ahorrare para ir a la universidad... definitivamente..Estudie diseo interior y he tomado fotos de interiores tambien pero decidi que el diseo no es lo que amo en esta vida sino la fotografia (siempre lo supe)..!asi que de fijo estoy ansiosa por ir a la U!!!
Gracias !!
Suerte!

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 22:15 »
 ;)