MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: can i use the same model release  (Read 3120 times)

« on: November 25, 2014, 08:53 »
This may be a daft question but, i have several sets of images from various trips to the mountains with my hiking partner, would i be ok to use the same release for each shoot or do i need a different one for each time?

Thanks, Phil

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:54 »
You should use a different release if the dates are different.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56 »
This may be a daft question but, i have several sets of images from various trips to the mountains with my hiking partner, would i be ok to use the same release for each shoot or do i need a different one for each time?

Thanks, Phil

Some agencies will accept a single release, however most will require different releases for each date.

I highly recommend electronic apps these days. I use EasyRelease - with a repeating model I only have to enter address data once and it takes me less than a minute to set up a new release for the same person the next time.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57 »
+1
Some agencies will accept a single release, however most will require different releases for each date.

My experience is the reverse: nearly all agencies I work with are satisfied with a single release for each model.  The exceptions I know of are iStock (to which I no longer submit) and Canva.

That said, you are best off having a release that covers every shoot with a model, just in case you have a falling out and he or she decides to make trouble.  A release with a range of dates may be good enough; I have them sign a new one for each shoot, but require only name, signature and date on those.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:24 »

Thanks, Phil
there's a difference between practice and theory

in practice, you can just upload with a single MR

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:27 »

Thanks, Phil
there's a difference between practice and theory

in practice, you can just upload with a single MR
Yep in practice you could fake your releases too but that would also be a very bad idea.  You get releases signed to protect yourself.  If you only get one signed for a photo you took in January how well will that protect you for the photos you took in March? 

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 13:16 »
I have a release in my files for every single shoot... but I don't upload to each agency.   Dreamstime for example prefers that you use the one release if the individual is in the same general age.  Using the same release may also help your sales, because many of the sites have "more of this model" feature. 

Istock however - will refuse your photo if the model release is dated differently than the exif on your upload!  So need one every time.   (I haven't uploaded there in 2 years, but I imagine it is the same.)

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:42 »
Istock however - will refuse your photo if the model release is dated differently than the exif on your upload!  So need one every time.   (I haven't uploaded there in 2 years, but I imagine it is the same.)

really? never had this issue.
but then again, i strip off all exif data by default

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:29 »
My experience is the reverse: nearly all agencies I work with are satisfied with a single release for each model.  The exceptions I know of are iStock (to which I no longer submit) and Canva.

Okay. Maybe I deal with a different set of agencies. Or maybe I'm used to fill out new MR's for each shoot, so I never experienced any rejection for supplying an outdated MR. Mostly because an MR is a contract between the model and the photographer, so I prefer to stay on the safe side myself, independent of what the agencies are asking me to do. ;)

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:58 »
I'm also stripping out exif data except copyright info, exif data is not needed and I even read somewhere that should be removed from the photo (Only for editorial should be left, but there you don't need MR).

The thing is - MR is for your own protection firstly. So I don't thing that anyone would check exif data and compare.