pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Deletion of thumbnails  (Read 2122 times)

« on: November 26, 2014, 17:34 »
Please could someone explain to me the technicalities of why it takes quite a period of time after the main images on an microstock site have been deleted to also have the thumbnails removed, even when a potential legal issue. Thanks.

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 17:46 »
I think the servers have to update over night. Thumbnails are usually still there after removing the original file. I have had several instances where my work was deleted but thumbs still there until the servers updated.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 17:53 »
Thanks Mantis. When I say quite a period of time I actually mean weeks and not days. Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 17:58 »
easy answer, probably cash,

if you remove one image, you tell to the website to remove that image, and only that image, the other references are remove only when the system clean the trash, but if you need that all the referees will be removed, try send then an email whit this info

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 18:04 »
The longer periods of time often involved partner sites rather than a company's own (the company where you submit the images and delete them).

I think when Jupiter Images owned StockXpert and were moving StockXpert content to some of Jupiter's sites they said it could take up to 60 days for something to be removed from a Jupiter site after it was removed by an StockXpert contributor. There was no direct, real-time connection between the systems at StockXpert that held the original submissions and Jupiter's systems that served up thumbnails in searches on the various sites. Every so often some batch job was run that indicated what was added and what removed and that then slowly made its way around the various servers.

As long as the image isn't purchasable immediately, leaving the thumbnail around a while shouldn't be a liability. When I dropped out of Dreamstime's partner sales, the thumbs were gone virtually immediately as it was apparently a real-time connection. With 123rf, the thumbs hung around on the partner sites for about 48 hours but you couldn't buy the image as far as I can recall.

The specifics depend on which site(s) are involved. If Deposit Photos is involved, it's highly likely you're getting very fuzzy (fictional) answers :)

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 18:13 »
Thanks for that explanation Jo Ann. It does makes sence, unfortunately the other party involved that's insisting on the thumbnail removal doesn't seem to understand the principal.
I just hope the thumbnails do get removed sooner rather than later. Many thanks.

gillian vann

• *Gillian*
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 00:19 »
weeks! ha. I saw a photo of Yuri's on the Fotolia home page recently, and he hasn't been there for a year?