pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Ergonomics - Do you sit or stand?  (Read 29174 times)

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 11:50 »
Sissy push-ups should do the trick. Hands leaning on a wall, feet just under a meter away from the wall to put you at an angle and stand on on tip-toe. Keep your back straight, head up and execute between 500 and 750 disciplined push-ups...spread the total across the day in sets of 50 or a 100

This works every big muscle set except your quadriceps and lower abs - sort those out with sissy squats ie without a barbell

Exercising is something I should start doing. Those sissy push-ups are actually just what my physiotherapist recommended. I had forgotten those so thanks for reminding me :)

Congrats mate, hopefully this will bring you some relief. Remember to try to keep correct posture no matter if you sit or stand.
Keep us updated!

Thanks, I will post my journey with my back problems  :)

Be careful in long term, I had unlucky to serve occupation Soviet army and one punishment (torment) mode was, they put me to stay in one and same place for hours and hours, it makes my back ill as well my legs, once I was released after 2 year I come home half invalid.

Kalevi, microstock sometimes feels like soviet army  :D

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 12:04 »
Ahaa, good point, often microstock hurts more ;-)

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 05:37 »
+1
There are some very helpful simple exercises on Google sites, which do not need special equipment - doing one of these, then another for four or five minutes throughout your day - would, I am sure, solve your problems.  I have printed them out so I can refer to them easily..  I also have a mini-trampoline, which is excellent (see reviews etc., on line) and you can watch TV or the DVD manual or even just look at your photo image from a short distance away...and re-consider it!  Have a good stretch and have a good day.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07 »
There are some very helpful simple exercises on Google sites, which do not need special equipment - doing one of these, then another for four or five minutes throughout your day - would, I am sure, solve your problems.  I have printed them out so I can refer to them easily..  I also have a mini-trampoline, which is excellent (see reviews etc., on line) and you can watch TV or the DVD manual or even just look at your photo image from a short distance away...and re-consider it!  Have a good stretch and have a good day.

Hi Susanita, is there any links that you could give me for those exercises?  :)

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 15:48 »
somebody uses alternative chairs? I tried this but could not

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 08:46 »
My wife has back issues and went to a standing office.  I think it helps.

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 08:49 »
I got the Ikea table and every few hours I move from standing to sitting and back. Works for me.

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45 »
+1
Swimming did the trick for me. I swim five days a week. I can sure tell the difference when I travel and can't swim.

Tai Chi is also good. Once you learn the moves, it's easy to do them at home.

Stretching and weight-lifting exercises can also make a huge difference. I was having horrible problems with my lower back and hamstring muscles until I started doing a few simple exercises three times a day at home -- leg stretches, squats, the sissy push-ups, back bends. Takes less than five minutes, but it keeps me going all day.

I think the most important thing is to get away from the computer several times a day and move your body. It was designed to move. Set an alarm every couple of hours and listen to it. I'm sure we all get absorbed in some project and end up sitting there for hours on end. That's the real problem.

ETA: As you get older, arthritis will also be a consideration. It can make you stiff and sore and less likely to want to move at all. This is something you need to fight. This is one reason why I like swimming; I do it in a warm therapy pool so my muscles and joints don't hurt while I'm doing slow laps and stretching exercises. The fact that I know I won't hurt when I'm doing them in the pool gives me the motivation to keep at it day after day.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:50 by polar »

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 10:04 »
yoga has been helping my back but I have a Varidesk so I can alternate sitting and standing.

KB

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 11:08 »
I've always wondered how old threads suddenly revive themselves after such a long, dormant spell.  :o

I suggest that anyone who's considering a sit/stand desk read this article from Wirecutter:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-standing-desk/

I purchased their recommended desk, and I love it.