pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you believe that DT is dying?  (Read 67087 times)

« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2015, 14:32 »
+3
Been with Dreamstime since 2007 and it used to be a great earner but something happened about a year back, I don't know what but the site just isn't the same anymore. The subs are a down out killer at least for me that is.

The few reports coming in on a good day/month earnings often comes from fairly new people with small portfolios.

This is my observation anyway.

marthamarks

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2015, 15:17 »
I'm actually having one of my better months on DT. Several multi-credit sales added to the usual sub sales have made me a happy woman.

So no complaints at the moment from this corner of the world.

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2015, 15:50 »
DT used to be good but has died the past few months - almost all subs nowadays and credit sales mostly low value.  This month was looking terrible until the past few days when it suddenly picked up a bit.  I hope it means a switch but it might just be luck of the draw.

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2015, 16:19 »
DT has felt like the site that took the longest for me to get traction on as a newbie. SS, Big Stock, Fotolia, etc, seemed to have sales rolling, or trickling in and all have provided me multiple payouts so far. IS has been slow for actual credit sales, but the partner program and subs make it seem like stuff (whether or good or bad) is happening there. After over a year of selling on DT, we finally qualified for our first payout there this month.

Aside from the subjective feeling of it being slow, it looks to be performing better than other sites, though. I make more profit per photo (we sell video, too, and I am not accounting for that here) on DT than on can stock, 123, Veer, Pond5, and Envato. If it weren't for an extended license sale on big stock this year, DT would probably be making a better return per image than there as well.

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2015, 16:47 »
DT has felt like the site that took the longest for me to get traction on as a newbie. SS, Big Stock, Fotolia, etc, seemed to have sales rolling, or trickling in and all have provided me multiple payouts so far. IS has been slow for actual credit sales, but the partner program and subs make it seem like stuff (whether or good or bad) is happening there. After over a year of selling on DT, we finally qualified for our first payout there this month.

Aside from the subjective feeling of it being slow, it looks to be performing better than other sites, though. I make more profit per photo (we sell video, too, and I am not accounting for that here) on DT than on can stock, 123, Veer, Pond5, and Envato. If it weren't for an extended license sale on big stock this year, DT would probably be making a better return per image than there as well.

Do you see any life with your video on DT? I have read where they practically give away your clips for a couple of bucks, which is why i never uploaded my video there. In fact i closed revostock and dissolve and an increasing my prices on p5 to align with the other agencies.

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04 »
+1
The video sales are pretty small, yes. And they are rare. Right now, our video collections is very, very, basic. No real production cost to speak of, limited equipment. So we are submitting our current content there. But content that we produce in the future may not go there. I think we've had 5-6 DT video sales, all with profit less than $10. The smallest profits have come from web-only usage.

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2015, 11:28 »
+1
The video sales are pretty small, yes. And they are rare. Right now, our video collections is very, very, basic. No real production cost to speak of, limited equipment. So we are submitting our current content there. But content that we produce in the future may not go there. I think we've had 5-6 DT video sales, all with profit less than $10. The smallest profits have come from web-only usage.

Good to know. August is shaping up to be among the worst I've had there in seven years...about $70 with 3200 images.

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2015, 08:33 »
+1
I really don't think they get much business anymore. Place is deserted. No doubt the subs are aiding DT but for the members it's just a slow and painful death. Been there for seven years with 8000 images and never seen it this bad.
Might be wrong but todays micro seems to be all about SS and FT with DT and IS just draining away.

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2015, 09:03 »
+1
I really don't think they get much business anymore. Place is deserted. No doubt the subs are aiding DT but for the members it's just a slow and painful death. Been there for seven years with 8000 images and never seen it this bad.
Might be wrong but todays micro seems to be all about SS and FT with DT and IS just draining away.

WOW. Congrats on a big port. I agree that sales are diluted by subs. I used to get waves of OD sales but that has slowed to just a couple every week. The rest are subs.  I completely agree with you that DT is still probably making out with subs, but the contributor isn't.

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2015, 12:46 »
+3
One data point I know, but I'm having a BME at DT.  More than double July, and more than double last August.  Year over year I'm up 40%.  No idea if September will continue the trend, but at least for me there's life in DT yet.

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2015, 15:02 »
One data point I know, but I'm having a BME at DT.  More than double July, and more than double last August.  Year over year I'm up 40%.  No idea if September will continue the trend, but at least for me there's life in DT yet.

That's good to hear and congratulations on a ridiculously large portfolio there!

Have the recent sales been off long-time popular images or newer uploads?

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2015, 16:32 »

That's good to hear and congratulations on a ridiculously large portfolio there!

Mostly newer uploads, and often multiple images from the same shoot.  DT's relaxing of its similars rejection policy has changed the nature of my sales there, and for the better. 

To be specific, 84% of this month's sales have been from images I uploaded in 2013 or later. 37% were 2015 uploads, 27% were from 2014 and 20% were from 2013.

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2015, 17:43 »

Mostly newer uploads, and often multiple images from the same shoot.  DT's relaxing of its similars rejection policy has changed the nature of my sales there, and for the better. 

To be specific, 84% of this month's sales have been from images I uploaded in 2013 or later. 37% were 2015 uploads, 27% were from 2014 and 20% were from 2013.

Good info.  That explains my poor sales.  Hardly uploaded anything this year.  Maybe you give  me a little motivation.

« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2015, 00:25 »
+2

WOW. Congrats on a big port. I agree that sales are diluted by subs. I used to get waves of OD sales but that has slowed to just a couple every week. The rest are subs.  I completely agree with you that DT is still probably making out with subs, but the contributor isn't.

I know! same here plenty of good credit sales Can't remember but some time back they made some deal or something? and ever since that it's gone downhill, so much so that speaking for myself it's not even worth uploading anymore.

« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2015, 02:55 »
I remember when I was started about 5 years ago. I had around of 20 photos, but almost every day I was selling something. I was upset because I must had over 50 pictures so I can become exclusive. How many have changed since then. And changes were not well. It was a good thing that I could not become exclusive and I woke up quickly from "the dream"...

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2015, 02:18 »
+1
Weeks on the same balance in my account with 979 files. Why DT is in the big 4 here is beyond me.  It's just c**p

« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2015, 04:00 »
I'm wondering the same question. My all time earnings are better on bigstock and my alltime 123rf earnings are just a little bit less of those on dreamstime.

« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2015, 16:55 »
+1
When this thread start I was defending DT, but after August, which was WME and totally pitiful, I will have to change my mind.  DT is going way down hill.  They used to be my fave site for some years, but now barely paying anything. 

dbvirago

« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2015, 17:09 »
If you take out the fluke BME in February, DT has been steady at the same level since the end of 2012, when it dropped to about 70% of previous levels. Before then, it was almost always my #2 behind SS. Since then, it has fallen to competing with the bottom of my big 8 on a par with Canstock and Bigstock. Top tier to a solid mid-tier

« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2015, 22:08 »
DT has never been consistent for me, but August was my BME there with a few decent credit sales besides the subs and an EL-1 year exclusive that netted me $375 for one license; I occasional earn that much for a single traditional RM license, but it was a nice surprise to earn it from one of the micros. I know that's a one-time thing but it made for a great month. Without that it would have been below average.
I have a handful of exclusive images on DT, glad I set the exclusive sales prices high.

50%

« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2015, 00:50 »
+1
I'm making now the some money with 6000 images as I did in 2005 with 30 images. Oh I love this business model lol!

Rinderart

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2015, 15:21 »
If you take out the fluke BME in February, DT has been steady at the same level since the end of 2012, when it dropped to about 70% of previous levels. Before then, it was almost always my #2 behind SS. Since then, it has fallen to competing with the bottom of my big 8 on a par with Canstock and Bigstock. Top tier to a solid mid-tier

Ditto. March 12th 2012 to be exact. same as SS. like a light switch. FT is the only site Im watching currently. lots of sales.

Rinderart

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2015, 15:24 »
+4
I'm making now the some money with 6000 images as I did in 2005 with 30 images. Oh I love this business model lol!

It's a sickening feeling isn't it? and the new kids on the block go whoHoo for every Nickel. Little do they know how it was at the time.

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2015, 16:21 »
+1
Agree 100%. Adobe/FT have really got it together and they are stable. SS can on a good day still produce lots of money but shakey, next day can be terrible.

marthamarks

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2015, 17:50 »
+1
DT has never been consistent for me, but August was my BME there

That was my experience too, and previous months were holding steady. I'm actually happy with DT right now.