pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you believe that DT is dying?  (Read 67088 times)

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45 »
I keep getting emails from them updating me on the latest files of mine they have deleted from the catalogue. Mmmmm. Lovely.

« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2016, 11:55 »
+1
I keep getting emails from them updating me on the latest files of mine they have deleted from the catalogue. Mmmmm. Lovely.
Really? If this is true then they are culling the collection and taking the 4-year no sales thing further. I can expect a good chunk of files to be canned. DT really lost any ounce of respect I had for them whe they did their income redistribution thing six months ago. It cut my earnings in half.

« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2016, 15:03 »
+3
Really? If this is true then they are culling the collection and taking the 4-year no sales thing further. I can expect a good chunk of files to be canned. DT really lost any ounce of respect I had for them whe they did their income redistribution thing six months ago. It cut my earnings in half.

Nothings changed for me. I still get emails giving me thirty days notice regarding non-sellers over 4 years old. I can either keep online or donate to their free section. If you do not respond to the email your chosen default action happens (keep on line in my case). You just preset this option on your account. If you do click the link on the email you get the two options there and then to choose from.
I always keep on line for the very good reason that I often get sales on older images that have never sold before (probaly more relevant to editorial images than, say, a sliced tomato on white). Regards, David.

marthamarks

« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2016, 15:17 »
+1
I always keep on line for the very good reason that I often get sales on older images that have never sold before

I've noticed that too. Really odd, but definitely not an incentive to delete an image, especially if it's one that has sold well elsewhere.

« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2016, 15:51 »

Nothings changed for me. I still get emails giving me thirty days notice regarding non-sellers over 4 years old. I can either keep online or donate to their free section. If you do not respond to the email your chosen default action happens (keep on line in my case). You just preset this option on your account. If you do click the link on the email you get the two options there and then to choose from.
I always keep on line for the very good reason that I often get sales on older images that have never sold before (probaly more relevant to editorial images than, say, a sliced tomato on white). Regards, David.

I get those too but I was referencing Herg saying that they are deleting his images from the catalogue. To me that means they are deleting some of his approved images from the DT collection.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2016, 04:27 »
I think you are right. Reading the email I can see they haven't actually deleted them as such. I quick read it and assumed they had deleted.

This is an automated notification. Your portfolio includes images that have been online for more than 4 years with no downloads up to the present. In order to keep up with the current standards we believe they should be removed from our commercial database, allowing fresh content to be more visible.

The following action options are available for you to decide:

- donate the image to the free section (default action) which can provide significant portfolio exposure and increase your sales; images can be disabled at any time later.
- keep the image online.

In order to review the images and take the desired action, please access the link below.
If no action is taken, the default one is automatically selected.

Review the images

My option was set by default to donate (now set to keep) so all my deleted files are out there fre. Is there any way I can pull them from being free ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:30 by Herg »

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2016, 15:46 »
Herg, as far as I know there's no way of reversing them from free to back on sale -though there would be no harm in emailing them to ask. Assuming you do not want your images offered for free, you have the option of disabling them (they'll no longer be available for free and will then eventually auto delete). In theory, you could then re-upload them as new files -though they'd have to go through the review process again. Personally, I would check that they are OK with this first.
Worth noting perhaps that as well as the email they send you the exact same message is also posted to the "comments" area of your account on the site. Sometimes emails go astray so a regular check on comments could be worthwhile. Regards, David.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15 »
So how do I find where the images of mine (if any) are free ?

DT are now rejecting for silly reasons like "you already have several similar images in your portfolio" when in fact the 2 different images of the same subject are the only ones I have submitted. They reject both. Why not reject one and accept the other ?

Another rejection is the only image of this subject in my portfolio rejected for having "several of the same in my port" I give up with DT.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:17 by Herg »

« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2016, 02:37 »
Topic: Do you believe that DT is dying?

For me: YES

Middle Tier with Earnings Rating 17,3: NEVER  (It was maybe long ago in last year)

« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2016, 11:57 »
+4
Stop everything !!! I had 41 downloads today!!!!!! All subs...but it made me feel like it's Shutterstock for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2016, 15:42 »
+4
Not dying - dead, unfortunately.  So far this month I have had four sub sales totaling $1.40 - that it the worst probably since my first month with them in 2009.  It's too bad.  I liked their levels system where you could get decent amounts for higher-level images, and it makes sense to charge more for popular images.  I appreciated their similars policy and deleting images that haven't sold in four years in an attempt to keep the database clean and relevant.  Of course I hated getting similars rejections but at least I can understand the goal.  Unfortunately for DT (and us!), SS's approach of having a huge database that is sorted out with an efficient algorithm and uniform prices for images regardless of downloads seems to be more popular with buyers.  DT had a decent bump last year with their Google deal but that appears to be a one-off thing and the ELs from that deal so far were few and at only $6 not particularly good for contributors - not the boon we were led to expect, anyway.  I hope they can turn it around and get back in the game (without diminishing contributor returns!) but am not optimistic.  Glad the previous poster had a good day there today - hope that becomes the norm.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08 »
+3
The usual crappy zero, zilch downloads continue into 2016.

DT SHOULD NOT BE RANKING IN THE TOP TIER.   >:(

jonbull

This user is banned.
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53 »
+2
used to low download but everything 1,5 2,3 3,5 dollar, sometimes even more...now only few sales at 0,35 cent....is dying? yes. in my opinion all the micro industry is dying. probably stock shutter and fotolia will stay for the future with very low per capita earning for photographers. time to go other way, macro, rm, stocks...better a sale sometimes who bring real money, than all these 0,35 cent that bring nothing

« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35 »
The volume isn't the best but for me the payouts have been better.  $2 - $6 with a few subs throw in the mix.  I seem more likely to get these $2+ commissions these days. 

The only ones I bother with these days is SS and DT.  SS will tosses me a nice $50-$120 sale once in a while which DT never does but lately SS has been crap.  December's earnings on SS was a quarter of a typical month.  This month DT is actually better than SS.

When I first started I was exclusive with DT.  Then when I branched out my sales there fell hard.  But my SS earnings made up for it. 

These days I'm concentrating on fine art anyway and just tossing the obviously stock images over to SS and DT if they aren't good enough for RM agencies.  Looking at my 1099s, microstock is making up such a small percentage of my over all earnings.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:43 by sooner_foto »

angelawaye

• Eat, Sleep, Keyword. Repeat

« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2016, 09:41 »
+1
My MISC 1099's are shrinking and shrinking every year. It is funny back in 2011-2012 I had huge MISC 1099's from DT and FT, maybe next year I may not even "qualify" for one - (over $600). It is getting worse and worse...

I stopped uploading to DT many months ago.

« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2016, 20:29 »
My MISC 1099's are shrinking and shrinking every year. It is funny back in 2011-2012 I had huge MISC 1099's from DT and FT, maybe next year I may not even "qualify" for one - (over $600). It is getting worse and worse...

I stopped uploading to DT many months ago.

I just looked at mine (it came this weekend) and I am down from $1800 in 2014 to $1200 in 2015. in micro stock, $600 is a lot of money...$50 a month.

Phadrea

This user is banned.
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2016, 02:19 »
Abysmal. I am lucky if my balance goes up by a few cents every few weeks.

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2016, 14:21 »
+2
Clearly something happened to the search engine in the first Q of 2010. I'd say that it took me roughly 3 years to reach to a point where the tech guys at DT decided that from then on my sales would drop slowly, giving space to newcomers to climb to their peak as well. Uploads have been steady throwout the years.
My RPD has been way above $1 since Q2 2008 until the beginning of this year.
I'm still uploading but my best work is not to be sent to DT anymore. Not worth it. Now I'll work hard for sites that reward my effort. And there are still a few.

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2016, 15:53 »
+1
Clearly something happened to the search engine in the first Q of 2010. I'd say that it took me roughly 3 years to reach to a point where the tech guys at DT decided that from then on my sales would drop slowly, giving space to newcomers to climb to their peak as well. Uploads have been steady throwout the years.
My RPD has been way above $1 since Q2 2008 until the beginning of this year.
I'm still uploading but my best work is not to be sent to DT anymore. Not worth it. Now I'll work hard for sites that reward my effort. And there are still a few.
Similar graph here peaking in 2011.  Fotolia peaked in 2010

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2016, 17:00 »
Similar here too but mine peaked in 2009 and I haven't uploaded much because I was bored of their similars rejections.  Just goes to show that uploading new images makes very little difference.

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2016, 17:02 »
Similar here too but mine peaked in 2009 and I haven't uploaded much because I was bored of their similars rejections.  Just goes to show that uploading new images makes very little difference.
I'm not a prolific uploader either. You can see on my graph the line right at the bottom is my uploads.

« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2016, 17:08 »
+1
Yes, I did see that but ccaetano said that uploads have been steady throughout the years, so my observation is that uploading doesn't make much difference to downloads.

« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2016, 17:20 »
+1
You don't get the download spikes that we used to see when uploading.  Very little of my new stuff sells on DT whereas at Fotolia there are always a couple in each batch that take off quite quickly.  Even more so than SS these days.

« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2016, 19:09 »
+1
Very similar! That's impressive.

Yes, I did see that but ccaetano said that uploads have been steady throughout the years, so my observation is that uploading doesn't make much difference to downloads.
Yes, that's what I think. The great majority of the downloads are from old or very old images. Very few downloads from the hundreds of images I have uploaded last year.

« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2016, 07:32 »
+1
My experience with DT is the same.  Ive been contributing for quite a few yrs.  its always been my 2nd top producer.  since the middle of 2015 sales have sunk and seems no help in sight.  i've posted on their own message board asking for advise on portfolio exposure ( as sooo many images go without views) and not a single seasoned member can offer advise.  leads me to believe there are no seasoned successful members anymore.  with contributors like wavebreakmedia who has oversaturated the market, i wonder if the little guy can stand a chance.