pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: What's the best day to upload to SS?  (Read 32080 times)

Uncle Pete

« on: December 15, 2014, 11:34 »
This is funny because since the first day I saw Microstock, people have had varied opinions. Some used to claim they could time an upload, so it would be approved and show on Monday. (Monday being the key to this, as it's the Best Day in theory.)

Then there's the possible issue with reviews being different on weekends, even though SS requires reviewers to work some weekend time, not just all weekdays. But suppose some of them work mostly weekends. Then there would be that crew, who are reported to reject things more often and for strange reasons.

So far I don't know if any of this is true or just imagined. Doesn't matter.

But for the sake of arguing a point, we assume that weekends are not a good time, and that Monday is the ideal day. So you would upload on? Friday? Or is that a weekend day, that means Thursday, which means photos could go live on Saturday or Sunday.

See where this is going? I know I don't care personally, but I don't have rejection issues except for one image that I swear would be a good seller. (don't we all have one of those?)  :) And I really don't care that much what day of the week a file goes live. I really don't think it's worth the effort to care about something that I can't control.

Then add this to the equation of guessing what day images will go live...

Quote from: Vincent Shutterstock
Hi everyone,

...It can take up to 72 hours for newly approved images to show in the portfolio.

Thanks

Vincent
Shutterstock

That means, if I time it perfectly and have the images going live on Monday, after guessing at the review time plus 24 hours. I'd be wrong. They could go live on Wed. because of server delays and indexing.

I wonder if there is no best day?

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:39 »
+8
There is a simple answer: The best possible day would be (already) yesterday  8) ;) ;)

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:51 »
I don't know what is the best day, but the worst days are, from my point of view, Friday and Saturday.
The images reviewed during the weekend generally get the  more inconsistent rejections.
But maybe it is only my impression.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53 »
+1
Second Thursday after the full moon.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29 »
+1
Sunday is definitely the best. :)

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38 »
This is funny because since the first day I saw Microstock, people have had varied opinions. Some used to claim they could time an upload, so it would be approved and show on Monday. (Monday being the key to this, as it's the Best Day in theory.)

Then there's the possible issue with reviews being different on weekends, even though SS requires reviewers to work some weekend time, not just all weekdays. But suppose some of them work mostly weekends. Then there would be that crew, who are reported to reject things more often and for strange reasons.

So far I don't know if any of this is true or just imagined. Doesn't matter.

But for the sake of arguing a point, we assume that weekends are not a good time, and that Monday is the ideal day. So you would upload on? Friday? Or is that a weekend day, that means Thursday, which means photos could go live on Saturday or Sunday.

See where this is going? I know I don't care personally, but I don't have rejection issues except for one image that I swear would be a good seller. (don't we all have one of those?)  :) And I really don't care that much what day of the week a file goes live. I really don't think it's worth the effort to care about something that I can't control.

Then add this to the equation of guessing what day images will go live...

Quote from: Vincent Shutterstock
Hi everyone,

...It can take up to 72 hours for newly approved images to show in the portfolio.

Thanks

Vincent
Shutterstock

That means, if I time it perfectly and have the images going live on Monday, after guessing at the review time plus 24 hours. I'd be wrong. They could go live on Wed. because of server delays and indexing.

I wonder if there is no best day?

For someone who thinks it is counterproductive to attempt to control the uncontrollable.

You spend an inordinate amount of time and energy attempting to control, judge, manipulate or debunk the views of other contributors.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 13:23 »
+13
Sept. 23, 2007

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 13:49 »
+1
I don't know, but I know what the worst days to upload are.

Wednesday/Thursday, as it's most likely your images will show up in searches on Saturday and Sunday. So they'll go unnoticed.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 13:55 »
+2
I upload almost every day on the basis I have no idea what the best day is and if I throw enough crap  out there someone is bound to buy some of it. Like throwing mackerel to performing seals.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 14:28 »
+1
total irrelevant, good image is sold 3x times on saturday or on tueasday , if it is preety good then  it is already  sold  10 times in first week

Uncle Pete

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 20:26 »
I don't think many people will disagree with you. And many will say they feel Monday is the bast day to go live. When I read the up to 72 hours part, I started to think, we can try to do what's optimal, but times and reviews vary so much, it's a mystery.

My personal answer for, best time to upload, is close to what roede-orm wrote. As soon as it's ready, send it up. The only thing buyers can see or download is what's online.

I don't know what is the best day, but the worst days are, from my point of view, Friday and Saturday.
The images reviewed during the weekend generally get the  more inconsistent rejections.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19 »
I don't think many people will disagree with you. And many will say they feel Monday is the bast day to go live. When I read the up to 72 hours part, I started to think, we can try to do what's optimal, but times and reviews vary so much, it's a mystery.

My personal answer for, best time to upload, is close to what roede-orm wrote. As soon as it's ready, send it up. The only thing buyers can see or download is what's online.

Yeah, I think that is generally true.  I also think avoiding known slow days is wise though.  I've stopped uploading to Shutterstock until after Christmas for example.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26 »

Yeah, I think that is generally true.  I also think avoiding known slow days is wise though.  I've stopped uploading to Shutterstock until after Christmas for example.
No uploads from now till New Years?

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 15:22 »
My vote is Friday and Saturday are the worst days.  I stopped uploading because the reviews are so inconsistent on those particular days.  Historically, whenever they reviewed my pictures on Wednesday, 100% were accepted.

Rinderart

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 15:48 »

Smart choice.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 16:14 »
I remember uploading during xmas, a couple of hundred, and had a couple of BMEs in a row at the beginning of 2014. Not sure if it is related. But I think new files need to mature, better have them online so they get in front of buyers right after the holidays. I remember SS saying something about how the search works and I think therefore they dont get buried, because the algorithm will prevent it from getting buried, related to the search query. If what I say makes any sense  :o

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 20:17 »
+2
Today! Or whenever you have photos ready just upload. Day of the week is irrelevant.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 22:26 »
having worked for years in the corporate i will say that Monday and Tuesday are the best days because the employees are mentally ready to start a new week and working hard while on friday nothing gets done especially in the afternoon.

but i don't think they're doing the inspection in-house as it would be too expensive, at least not the bulk of it, you can bet it's outsourced in India to WiPro or Infosys and their local subcontractors.

guckinumguckirum

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 03:50 »

but i don't think they're doing the inspection in-house as it would be too expensive, at least not the bulk of it, you can bet it's outsourced in India to WiPro or Infosys and their local subcontractors.
that would explain some of their strange mass rejection without rhyme and reason and no understanding for western culture let alone photography, personally I'm done with outsourcing anything to India regardless is it keywording or retouching it simply sucks!

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 05:02 »
I remember uploading during xmas, a couple of hundred, and had a couple of BMEs in a row at the beginning of 2014. Not sure if it is related. But I think new files need to mature, better have them online so they get in front of buyers right after the holidays. I remember SS saying something about how the search works and I think therefore they dont get buried, because the algorithm will prevent it from getting buried, related to the search query. If what I say makes any sense  :o

Jan/feb have often been best months for me as well but I usually hold off on uploading over Christmas.  Perhaps that just shows that no matter what theory we have, when it comes down to it... it is just simply guessing with no right answer.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 05:02 »

No uploads from now till New Years?

correct - at least not to Shutterstock.  I'll catch up a few of the other sites.