MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Online Backup - whos using what and why?  (Read 2602 times)

« on: December 17, 2014, 10:19 »
Hi
Im about to backup online, but theres alot of choice, alot of pricing, and alot of difference features.

I used Backblaze for a few months only to find out if i delete a folder from my PC, 30 days later its deleted from my online backup!
I looked at crashplan only to read in the small print, they will only ship a HD with your data (for a price) to the USA. I'm UK.

You really need to read the small print with these things as its not a thing you want to change very often.

All input welcome.

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:33 »
I'm interested in finding an online backup as well. I don't want something that automatically syncs folders - just a vault. The problem for me will be uploading gigs of data ... which will take weeks. Also I wonder is how easily and fast the data can be downloaded. I'm out of the USA as well, so the hard drive option would not work for me.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:53 »

I used Backblaze for a few months only to find out if i delete a folder from my PC, 30 days later its deleted from my online backup!

Backblaze is a backup solution for a particular machine (or machines; you pay them by the machine), not an archive. The other limitation they have is that they only back up directly attached storage - so external drives are included, but not network attached storage.

The pluses (I use Backblaze) are that it's a pretty cheap option and it's completely automatic.

I have an archive as well - every few months I update some external hard drives that live on a shelf in my office. I never delete anything from those.

Depending on the upload speed of your broadband, it can take weeks for the initial upload, but after that it's pretty smooth sailing.

So my 3-tier protect my data strategy is a LaCie RAID (it was Drobo, but I had all sorts of problems with reliability with the unit itself -  never lost a drive!), Backblaze, and external disks on a shelf (the third part used to be DVDs in a binder and at some point I'd like to transfer that to hard drives, but that will be very time consuming to do)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35 »
Took me 6 weeks to backup about 400Gb to backblaze (wasnt continously running).
Now im going to delete it and find something else, that actually DOES archival ie like crashplan.

I do also have a USB3 portable HD for backup but we all know that could die at any time.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:44 »
Do you backup all your raw image from shoots or just the selected images. Right now I have multiple backups of all my finished images - which are TIFFS and the converted JPGS, but I only have one copy of the shoots on portable hard drives because of the amount of data. 

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54 »
personally I backup everything I can, but delete what is rubbish first. inc raws, tiffs, PSD's anything.
My upload speed is about 8mb/s. If you have upload of 1mb/s online backup is going to be painful, unless you really limit what you are going to backup.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:05 »
As part of my multiple-tier backup strategy I use Arq for cloud backup. It's a nice piece of software (Mac only) and the developer seems very dedicated to improving it and providing support.

What it does is it creates backups on your choice of storage service: Amazon, Google, FTP -- it supports a number of destinations. My current backup strategy is hourly backups of my OSX user folder (most application data, downloads, desktop) to Amazon S3 and daily backups of my long-term storage (photos, videos, documents) to Amazon Glacier. I manually exclude data that doesn't need to be backed up or that already has a cloud mirror (Evernot, Dropbox).

A lifetime license of Arq cost me $60, my Amazon Web Services bill is less than $10 per month. Not much for peace of mind.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:41 »
ARQ and Amazon Glacier sounds like a good option. The price of ARQ is now $40. I looked at Glacier before but interacting with if was cumbersome -- so ARQ would certainly make it a lot simpler.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 21:06 »
I use Crashplan, as there's no limitations on storage space so I just set it and forget it.  My household uses it, currently it's backing up one desktop and two laptops for the same price.  It's easy to pause or put the backups to sleep for a certain amount of time if eg you've just uploaded a bunch of photos from your camera and want to delete the crap first.

More importantly, as I found out when my desktop imploded (where all my photos are kept - on disks in a RAID 10 to be fair but the RAID failed also), it's really easy to restore from.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49 »
I use Smugmug as backup, unlimited storage, that is actually running on Amazon WS, and easy to manage.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:02 »
I use Mostphotos
(For jpeg)