pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Did Fotolia sold stop?  (Read 7904 times)

« on: December 17, 2014, 19:06 »
My sold in Fotolia stopped after the news that Adobe buying photo marketplace Fotolia for $800M. Is it only my problem or really sold stopped there?

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 19:49 »
Last sale was today. No problem here.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 19:50 »
Just a coincidence - I've still had sales

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 23:56 »
+1
No problem on FT.
Low sales on DT.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38 »
+1
FT is strong for me as well

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 15:06 »
I joined Fotolia 2 weeks ago and since then I uploaded 71 photos. There is still no earning  :-\ Does anyone know what is wrong?

No Free Lunch

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 15:17 »
+15
I joined Fotolia 2 weeks ago and since then I uploaded 71 photos. There is still no earning  :-\ Does anyone know what is wrong?

Let's see- here are few major reasons why they are not selling- personally I am surprised they even accepted the majority of them.

1. Poorly exposed (under exposed)
2. Poor Isolation
3. Texture shots have wrinkles and crooked
4. Nothing really special- there are like millions of these type of shots

I would stop the production and take your time to learn just one area first, say objects isolated on white, and do it well. You're just dumping more marginal images in my eyes to the already glutted inventories...

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 15:34 »
+6

Let's see- here are few major reasons why they are not selling- personally I am surprised they even accepted the majority of them.

1. Poorly exposed (under exposed)
2. Poor Isolation
3. Texture shots have wrinkles and crooked
4. Nothing really special- there are like millions of these type of shots

I would stop the production and take your time to learn just one area first, say objects isolated on white, and do it well. You're just dumping more marginal images in my eyes to the already glutted inventories...

Thanks for the critics. I should work more  :)

marthamarks

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 23:47 »
+8
FT accepted eleven (11) images of the same green, fake-cactus candle with flame? Really???
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 00:30 by marthamarks »

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:09 »
FT accepted eleven (11) images of the same green, fake-cactus candle with flame? Really???

Yes I am also surprised  :o I really didn't understand their policy  :)

No Free Lunch

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 14:51 »
+1

Yes I am also surprised  :o I really didn't understand their policy  :)

Let's right the ship here a little bit- don't worry about a companies policy- worry about getting sales. As you can see just getting images accepted isn't good enough! Take one of your images (say candle with flame) and study what are the very high end images of this type.  Look at the fine details- where is the focus, where is the Specular highlights, what is a good composition, what story or mood are you trying to tell the buyer- basically, what is the commercial value to the buyer.  Those are where you need to spend your time on- not trying understanding the company's policy.

Heck, I've been in this business for a while and I still don't understand their polices  :)

marthamarks

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 16:06 »
+4
Here's another tip from somebody who's been doing this for a while. If you've got a whole series of the same subject (11 almost identical duplicates of a green, fake-cactus candle with flame, for example), pick ONE. Pick the very best one. And submit that.

If you'll do that, your ONE very fine image will look better, like something special.

As it is, even if FT accepts all 11 almost identical images that you submit to them, the images look cheap and easy. Make the subject look special by sending the best one and you'll stand a better chance of getting sales with that "special" one.

This holds true in your case not only with the green candle but the multiple almost identical shots in your FT portfolio of nuts, coins, statues, buildings, etc.  From now on, find the ONE best shot from the whole batch and submit that.

This means it will take longer to build a valuable portfolio, but once you do it will actually be worth something.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 16:09 by marthamarks »

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 21:13 »
Thank you very much for the advice  :) I would like to do the reverse move of yours. Lets say I have 20 identical photos, I send all of them and they approve 11. Then I am going to pick the best   :D Otherwise, the best photo that I choose is generally rejected.

I am a newbie. If I can improve my ability, then I will collect a good portfolio and remove the redundant ones later  :) By the way, your portfolio is excellent!

marthamarks

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 22:35 »
+1
By the way, your portfolio is excellent!

Thank you for that, Mr. Coffee. I appreciate your compliment very much!

The choice of approach is yours, of course. But I suspect almost every old-timer in this group would encourage you to submit your best shots of a given subject, not endless duplicates that (to be honest) detract from one another.

If you'll go back and look at my Image Gallery on Shutterstock (http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=508327, you'll find (scattered around that first page) 17 images of cute brown rodents called Black-tailed Prairie Dogs. This past October, in Texas, I spent 3 days shooting these "dogs" in all kinds of light and activity level, so I came home with over a thousand images of them, including near-dupllcates of every one you see. But then, working in Lightroom at 100% magnification, I was ruthless and threw away every single shot that wasn't a "best." And even some of those I originally thought were "bests" got dropped when it came time to select a final group for submission.

Shutterstock and Dreamstime both accepted every image from that group that I submitted, because they were all "bests".

And also even though the subject is the same in that whole series of "dogs", all the poses you see are different. No two are alike. And the subject of every one is in razor-sharp focus.

I was aiming to have a "category killer" collection of these threatened little critters, which have been poisoned and shot almost out of existence in most of their original range. So I worked hard to make it happen. And, I believe, I have done just that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 23:18 by marthamarks »

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 04:37 »
+1
My sold in Fotolia stopped after the news that Adobe buying photo marketplace Fotolia for $800M. Is it only my problem or really sold stopped there?

same here. But I noticed the same last year. Up to 40% less income than in an average month. I think it has to do with the type op photos in my/your port. No christmas specific subjects

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 23:20 »
+1
This Dec. FT was two times last Dec.  I am real happy about it.  Not enough to cover Istock plunge, but almost.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13 »
+3

Why does an isolation have to tell a story? An isolation is mostly a product shot 

Take one of your images (say candle with flame) and study what are the very high end images of this type. 

what story or mood are you trying to tell the buyer-

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 05:24 »
What happened man? Im interested to know.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 15:08 »
+1

Hi!
Same here. In last week my 7 day rank fall from 300 to 1200!! From 230+ sold photos to only 30 sold photos on week. Strange, very strange!

In last month I upload more than 80 high quality photos but only few photos accepted. They rejected almost all, reason similar images. Very frustrating. Is this happend only me or have someone else this problems too?

Sorry for bad english.