pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is DT still one of the Big 4?  (Read 10504 times)

« on: December 19, 2014, 22:09 »
I was going to add to this post on the DT board; but thought it might be better here.
Since May DT has gone south. HUGE drops in Nov and this month.  I think they are losing customers or changed the search and I m on the sh!t end of the stick.

I don't believe you can judge reality with just a few months totals - especially when we all clearly have different experiences - , but DT has been seriously sinking for me over the past half year. Still, I was stunned when I added up totals as of today (Dec. 19) only since the beginning of the month. The context for you all is that I have only about 300 images uploaded, and only to the "Big 4".

SS has accepted the fewest images; DT the most.

Also, I've only been doing this for a couple of years; but at this point I am getting a payout from one or more every month. (my min. for all sites is set for over $100).

So, with that in mind, here are my percentage of sales (in income) for the past 19 days:

BS:    10%
DT:    0.9%   :o
FT:    44%
SS:    45%

Maybe this means something....maybe nothing. Just thought I'd toss it out.

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 22:12 »
+2
I was going to add to this post on the DT board; but thought it might be better here.
Since May DT has gone south. HUGE drops in Nov and this month.  I think they are losing customers or changed the search and I m on the sh!t end of the stick.

I don't believe you can judge reality with just a few months totals - especially when we all clearly have different experiences - , but DT has been seriously sinking for me over the past half year. Still, I was stunned when I added up totals as of today (Dec. 19) only since the beginning of the month. The context for you all is that I have only about 300 images uploaded, and only to the "Big 4".

Also, I've only been doing this for a couple of years; but at this point I am getting a payout from one or more every month. (my min. for all sites is set for over $100).

So, with that in mind, here are my percentage of sales (in income) for the past 19 days:

Is it years now that we need to wait?

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 00:18 »

Wow, those are impressively high numbers for BS and FT (or poor ones at the other 2). For me DT is over 4X BS. Maybe SS is managing to shift serious sales to their screw the contributor more experiment site.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:55 »
+7
IMO there is no big 4 - for me there is a BIG ONE - shutterstock followed by the middle sized 4 - Fotolia, 123, Istock Dreamstime - Dreamstime is trending sharply down for me but has often sprung back in the past. Contary to many reports I stock is trending up. Just sayin!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:48 »
+1
A more updated version of the poll would be Top 3 and Low Earners.

DT is still #4 but negligible compared to the other 3.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 09:11 »
+1
It just shows how much variation there is in our results.  For the year DT is in 6th place for me at 6%, well behind SS (40%) and 123RF (23%) but within striking distance of Envato (8%) and iStock (7%), neck and neck with Deposit (6%), and well ahead of BigStock and Canstock (3% each).  None of the others shows more than .5%.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 09:20 »
+2
IMO there is no big 4 - for me there is a BIG ONE - shutterstock followed by the middle sized 4 - Fotolia, 123, Istock Dreamstime - Dreamstime is trending sharply down for me but has often sprung back in the past. Contary to many reports I stock is trending up. Just sayin!

That sums up my thoughts as well.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 23:02 »

actually i would say there is only a BIG ONE and the rest are dribbling around position 70 to 100 based on the percentage of earnings.  i joined about 30 of the 2nd to 30th on the right of this page in early 2K and joined every new one for about the next 10 years. but after i joined shutterstock
and started to earn monthly payout, i decided to drop the rest of them. i still have ports with all of them except last time i checked, none of them have earn as much since inception as shutterstock has earned for me in a week.
does that answer your questions?

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:01 »
+1
DT has never been in top 4 for me. 90% of sales there are just $0.35 subscriptions for me.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:35 »
+3
DT has never been in top 4 for me. 90% of sales there are just $0.35 subscriptions for me.

This cycle has gotten bigger. I used to get 3-4 days of subs, then a day or two of subs/credit mix, then back to subs. Now, I get about 10 days of subs and 2 days of credits. This is why I've stated in previous posts that I believe DT is pushing subs heavily because they are more profitable and easier to compete on. It's isn't about us, it's about them, their revenue, their margins. Our commissions are a byproduct of their strategy, and suppliers are rarely on the positive side of things unless they are a monopoly or duopoly supplier. We need to get used to it and look for other revenue streams because, in my opinion, it isn't going to get any better.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47 »
After a disastrous July and August 2014 sales picked up a bit. For December (until now) i already earned for times as much as i did in July :)
But anyway, DT performs really poorly. Unfortunately. 

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 18:21 »

actually i would say there is only a BIG ONE and the rest are dribbling around position 70 to 100 based on the percentage of earnings.  i joined about 30 of the 2nd to 30th on the right of this page in early 2K and joined every new one for about the next 10 years. but after i joined shutterstock
and started to earn monthly payout, i decided to drop the rest of them. i still have ports with all of them except last time i checked, none of them have earn as much since inception as shutterstock has earned for me in a week.
does that answer your questions?

So you earn in a week on SS, with the same port, the same as any other site over 10 years? 

Getting back to reality, DT is certainly top 4 but tend to agree with the consensus that, really, there's a big 1 but have to concede that, for some, IS is still there.  Per image, IS is worth about 7% of what is was but push SS most months on the RPI front with PP but this view is probably skewed by just putting up the proven sellers.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 20:49 »
+11
No. I get more from Shutterstock in a day than I get from Dreamstime in a month, if not more. I get more from 123RF, Bigstock and Fotolia. They need to change the payout threshold. A low tier site like DT shouldn't have a $100 minimum payout.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 04:38 »
Definitely not. 19 of 20 sales I get there are 0.35 subs.
My income from Veer was higher in the last three months

DC

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46 »
DT has never been top 4 for me.

It is currently #8 for with 2% of total earnings with 2000 images.

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58 »
NO MORE !

Today has DT Earnings rating 15,9

If so, than must 123RF must have 195 and not 10,9.
My stats.

BTW, Canstock is also doooown. And still no communication from Duncan...

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40 »
+1
For me is exactly the same as earnings rating states here - SS far ahead, 3 times better then IS, 5 times then FT and 10 time better than DT.

DT is indeed very slow last month. The other ones are not worth mentioning...

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04 »
+3
to be fair to dt, it used to be good during the days where Carmen used to be. but from the similars rejection of anything more than 2 even if they are not variations of the same shots, fb likes, deletions of anything past 3 years old,etc... it all went downhill really fast.
also the kiss of death for your top performer, once they attain a better color id. which strangely enough is the opposite of what happens in SS where the top performers (and old images) keep getting downloads.
methinks dt cut their own lifeline from the time they cut off supplies even if they were good images , simply with a heavy hand for "similars", and trying to be a social media with fb likes, instead of finding sales they prefer clicks or traffic whatever

Rinderart

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 14:32 »
No. I get more from Shutterstock in a day than I get from Dreamstime in a month, if not more. I get more from 123RF, Bigstock and Fotolia. They need to change the payout threshold. A low tier site like DT shouldn't have a $100 minimum payout.

YEP.

No Free Lunch

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 17:56 »
after the 2014 survey data is collected we will see where DT ranks- I bet they are no longer in the Big 4  8)

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 02:08 »
after the 2014 survey data is collected we will see where DT ranks- I bet they are no longer in the Big 4  8)
Agree

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 05:10 »
Is DT still one of the Big 4?

NO

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 06:16 »
Middle Tier Muppets

Been that way for most months since January 2014 for me

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07 »
They may still be in the big 4, at least for me. ALL AGENCIES, except for SS, have declined in revenue. So while DT has dropped so have IS (FT NEVER GREW FOR ME and was never in my top 4 for 7 years) 123RF, BigStock, PD, CanStockPhoto have all declined, so it becomes relative....everyone of my agencies have gone down, probably holding their position though. It's just that the gap between SS and them has widened.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 08:12 »
The worst year for me on DT from 2008.

Sponsors

Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results

Sponsors