MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: I BADLY NEED $11000 and i'm quite new to the microstock industry...  (Read 23042 times)

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 19:59 »
+6
of course you could have gotten the same result if you had bothered to READ the dozens of threads here BEFORE posting your question...

No Free Lunch

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 20:46 »
+8
To reach $11,000 per year in one year you better plan on working 18 hour days - 7 days a week for a full year! Also eating a full meal and taking a long hot shower will be a luxury that you will not have time for...

I do $10K per year now, next to my day job. I do not add many photos these days. My 2K images do the work for me at the moment. I am making that money now without putting in many hours. It was hard work to get here though. Imagine what 2K vectors can do.

to be sincere, you are the only one among all those replies giving such a positive feedback...this kind of response does motivate dude....finally what i can conclude is the result is not the same for everyone....its so unpredictable..

Yes, a positive response but what the majority of us are trying to tell you is that this is hard work and not to give you a 'pipe dream'. Reality that's all dude... :)

Semmick Photo

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 04:26 »
+2
It took me over 2.5 years to get this point, I worked 8 hours next to my dayjob and weekends. But it is something I love, so it wasnt that bad. So yes, its hard work, all I wanted to say is that at some point the images will start to pay back. And I did have time to poop and eat during the first 2.5 years  ;)

dpimborough

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 05:48 »
If you even have to ask these questions, you're in the wrong business. There are much easier ways to make a living!

You have to do the work and You have to figure it out for yourself! Your art will be more meaningful when you do.

Now get to work!

WRONG BUSINESS YOU MEAN FOR WHAT?? MICROSTOCK???

STOP SHOUTING!!

And if you want $11,000 then you should go get a job that pays a regular salary

Most burger joints will hire just for asking.

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2014, 11:24 »
+9
Something was really bugging me about this thread. However, it wasn't the original question by salaahkhayr. A week later, I finally got it and decided to post what is bugging me:

Yeah, Salaahkhayr broke some protocols with ALL CAPS and seems a little desperate for money (understandable in today's economy), but some of you all are really cruel. I highly doubt you would project such an attitude to him/her in person, as the internet provides anonymity and a shield of protection from retaliation. The one major reason why adults and children don't seek advice or pursue their goals is because they were humiliated sometime during their life for asking for advice. Salaahkhayr's question posed a great trial for many of us: Do we want to be a voice of calm encouragement or a voice of nasty discouragement?

As an art studentand later, a teacher of children and adultsI learned the importance of accentuating the positive and leaving out the negative when it came to advice and critique. Human beings can be very sensitive and people with hidden treasures of talent can be easily crushed when starting out by careless and crude handling.

Be kind to others and they will retaliate in kindness. Be cruel and they will retaliate in cruelty. It may not be toward you, but it will be directed somewhere. We've got enough strife and fighting in the world today. Let's not add to the madness.

Peace :)

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2014, 14:00 »
+14
Something was really bugging me about this thread. However, it wasn't the original question by salaahkhayr. A week later, I finally got it and decided to post what is bugging me:

Yeah, Salaahkhayr broke some protocols with ALL CAPS and seems a little desperate for money (understandable in today's economy), but some of you all are really cruel.

Be kind to others and they will retaliate in kindness. Be cruel and they will retaliate in cruelty. It may not be toward you, but it will be directed somewhere. We've got enough strife and fighting in the world today. Let's not add to the madness.

no one here was cruel - some were more straightforward than others, but the bigger reason for so many negative responses was OP's complete lack of online courtesy - all caps is one measure,  but on any forum it's extremely bad form to blunder in and start asking questions that could have been found with a few minutes looking over the site.

people here are overwhelmingly helpful -- especially considering they're often helping the competition

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2014, 14:09 »
+6
This particular guy asked the same or similar question repeatedly on SS forum in the past and he already got all possible answers. Its easy to remember because he often writes in caps. I dont understand why he keeps asking the same question instead of working on his portfolio - that would be the best answer he can ever get, wouldnt it?

No Free Lunch

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 14:30 »
+7
Back a few years ago when I started in this business I popped a similar question along with a sample of my portfolio and I got some very harsh questions and replies such as:

1. Why do you feel you will be any good in the business
2.  You might want to work for Walmart or McDonalds
3. Sell the camera you suck
4. No future for rookies/newbies

Sure, I was upset but the folks here told me the truth about the type of business I was getting into. Lot's of learning, long hours and getting a mentor (okay, a few mentors) to be able to produce 'Sell-able' images.  It was a steep learning curve for me with lot's of frustration and I lost count on how many times I just wanted to quit and sell the camera! Now, after three plus years I am making more money that I thought possible - why? Because I got honest (harsh) answers from you folks.

Thanks and Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 15:32 »
+6
it is possible to earn 11k in a year or two (with vectors) but only if you know what you are doing.

my friend (and my ex-referral) earned more then that in less then 2 years with less than 300 vectors (all very high commercial vector sets) and he doesn't even work every day, but he really know what he is doing (i will not publish his gallery link) and it is something very hard to achieve.

what I want to say that there is hope, but you need to know very good what is selling (newest web trends), work hard, have great creativity and inspiration, build up your portfolio and have a little luck.

for photographers situation is a little different (harder) to earn that much, harder then before 3-4 years, but we can build faster our portfolio and when you discover what is selling best and keep doing similar photos it is possible to earn 10k annually with less then 2k photos. Possible but not easy at all.

one thing is important (this is mostly for starting photographers), you have to look at stock as your "normal" day job, work at least 8 hours a day, 6 days in a week and get approved more then 100-200 high quality images monthly so starting micro stock photography can be much easier, but if you are starting with no portfolio and look at stock only as your hobby, it will be very hard, almost impossible to make living with that. it can be hobby that earn you more then 1k monthly but only if you already have nice portfolio.

sorry for my english and happy holidays! :)

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 17:11 »
You are right 'striving'.
But i paid no attention to the harshness of some people because i know if one guy is harsh, then there are 10 out there who are willing to share their experience and effectively this was the outcome of this thread. Plus i start such thread because this kind of 'repeated' questions do motivate me along the way. And its alright about the harshness cause in every spheres there must be some who always ponder upon the little bad thing( if capslock is such a headache) whereby they bypass the great outcome of looking and participating into the real Big Issue itself. and to all those loving people who helped and share their knowledge, you rock guys!!!

died from overdrawn

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2014, 21:55 »
Good luck to you. Keep working hard and don't be satisfied with mediocrityor negative attitudes. When you're feeling fulfilled with what you door from those who try to humiliate you.  8)

You are right 'striving'.
But i paid no attention to the harshness of some people because i know if one guy is harsh, then there are 10 out there who are willing to share their experience and effectively this was the outcome of this thread. Plus i start such thread because this kind of 'repeated' questions do motivate me along the way. And its alright about the harshness cause in every spheres there must be some who always ponder upon the little bad thing( if capslock is such a headache) whereby they bypass the great outcome of looking and participating into the real Big Issue itself. and to all those loving people who helped and share their knowledge, you rock guys!!!

died from overdrawn

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 21:58 »
+2
ugg, here we go again ::) go to Mcdonalds like someone already sugested. work for a year and you should be able to almost clear 11k. much easyer. Your Too Late To The Game (YTLTTG)

Semmick Photo

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2014, 01:26 »
+2
If your work good it's not too late at all.

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2014, 03:55 »
OUCHie.....someone desperately looking for troll of the year award.

died from overdrawn

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2014, 08:17 »
+10

Yeah, Salaahkhayr broke some protocols with ALL CAPS and seems a little desperate for money (understandable in today's economy), but some of you all are really cruel. I highly doubt you would project such an attitude to him/her in person, as the internet provides anonymity and a shield of protection from retaliation. The one major reason why adults and children don't seek advice or pursue their goals is because they were humiliated sometime during their life for asking for advice. Salaahkhayr's question posed a great trial for many of us: Do we want to be a voice of calm encouragement or a voice of nasty discouragement?

As an art studentand later, a teacher of children and adultsI learned the importance of accentuating the positive and leaving out the negative when it came to advice and critique. Human beings can be very sensitive and people with hidden treasures of talent can be easily crushed when starting out by careless and crude handling.

I didn't think anyone had been particularly cruel here. One or two told it as it is. The OP asked the question, and was answered honestly.
I'm not sure that "accentuating the positive and leaving out the negative when it comes to advice and critique" is necessarily either a kindness or a good thing. I'm afraid that I see it as encouraging mediocrity.  How are people going to learn if they are told everything they do is great??

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2014, 09:17 »
Difydave

May be you are right on this one, people won't learn if they are told everything they do as great. But there is a difference between pointing out one's mistakes, advising him to the correctness and yelling at someone to get out of the microstock world and look for a job a some local resto. i see no sign of good advice in the latter, all i see is harshness!!!

died from overdrawn

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 09:19 »

Yeah that's right. And its because of pple like you that this post becomes really interesting and beneficial.

died from overdrawn

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 10:07 »
+14

Yeah that's right. And its because of pple like you that this post becomes really interesting and beneficial.

died from overdrawn

So all you want to see are encouraging posts, not necessarily reality?
i.e. you see the few slightly encouraging posts as 'beneficial', but reality-for-most-nowadays posts as 'no sign of good advice'.
If I needed $11k in reasonably quick time, I wouldn't expect to find it as a newbie on micro. Obviously I'd go back to teaching; but if that wasn't possible, I'd be looking for a shop or restaurant job if I needed to be sure of making the money fast.

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 10:36 »
+7
I agree with ShadySue's post above. You need to look at all the posts and not just the encouraging ones. I don't think anyone here was actually being nasty, but sometimes a jolt of reality can look as if it is less than nice. The truth in this world is often not what we would like to hear.
If you need to make money these days I wouldn't rely solely on microstock to do it. Especially if starting from cold.
I know of at least one photographer who is much better than average, and has been at this for years, who is struggling to make money at this game, and who has a second part time job as part of their income.
Admittedly vectors is a different game, but even so I don't hear of it getting easier. If you look at the successful guys they are accomplished artists and vector drawing is simply the media they use. A lot of them were probably trained long and hard in the old way with pen and ink.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 10:37 »
+16
I think some of the "harshness" comes from people trying to honestly answer the original question. If the OP truly badly needs $11,000, trying to earn it quickly as a microstock newbie is a very difficult way to go. It would indeed be easier to make that money in a few months working at a minimum wage job. The OP could earn some extra money doing stock illos on the side during that time and gradually build up a portfolio. If the question was simply "is it possible to earn $11,000 per year in microstock," the OP probably would have gotten different answers.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 15:15 »
TBH, some comments made it sound like it is sheerly impossible to make $11K in microstock when you join now. Its not IMO. Sean hit the highest tier on SS in like 7 months or so where he started as a newbie. There is one guy on SS, I forgot his name, who made a bundle with something like 300 images in a recently short period as well.  And they did it with photos. Vectors tend to bring in more money. I fully agree its hard work in the beginning to build a good earning port. But its not doom and gloom per-say. If the OP puts in  the hours, the work and raises the bar, he can make $11k in a year. Even in the current stock era.

And I am not sure if working at Mickey D is going to get you $11k in a year either?  The minimum wage is $15k before taxes and then you have your personal expenses as well, before you can put it in a savings account.

Dook

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 15:21 »
OP is not a photographer,he is a vector artist, so my advice wouldn't be very helpful.
But, I wrote this sometime ago on another thread. For a photographer, my advice would be, not to flip hamburgers, but to take other photography genders that are more suited for earning money - wedding photography, event photography, local newspaper photographer etc. No need for hamburger flipping.
But, for a vector artist, I really don't know, but try to think in that direction. Local newspaper designer maybe?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 15:26 »
+10
TBH, some comments made it sound like it is sheerly impossible to make $11K in microstock when you join now. Its not IMO. Sean hit the highest tier on SS in like 7 months or so where he started as a newbie.
He was by NO means a newbie, and had an enormous back-catalogue.
Actually, he's the proof (for photographers). If it took him 7 months to get to the highest tier, what chance is there for real newbies?  QED.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 17:31 by ShadySue »

« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 15:58 »
+3
Vectors or photos are just a method to illustrate an idea. It's the concept and the execution that sells, not the image. If your concepts and execution are significantly better than people can produce themselves they will probably buy your images. If not your images won't sell no matter how many you make. If you think you can create a product significantly better than what is currently out there then yes you can make a lot of money. If not then you are wasting your time. So my answer is this. If you are better then those currently doing this 11k will be no problem, if not 11k will be almost unreachable. But here's the thing. If you were better than most everyone out there you would already know it and probably wouldn't need to ask.

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 16:16 »
well guys, i'v learnt a lot from this thread and benefited very much too....finally what i conclude is there are differences between vector artists and photographers and both go their own ways...make the most of your time and the result will come...and don't ever feel threaten by negative menaces of others....!