pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Your hopes for 2015  (Read 13014 times)

« on: December 22, 2014, 13:03 »
There's already a thread for our predictions for 2015.  Most of them, including mine, are pretty much doom and gloom.   This thread is for the hopes.

What would you like to see happen, in the image market (both stock and POD) in the coming year?  What would constitute a real, acheivable, positive development in online image sales?

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 13:17 »
+7
I'd love to see one or more of the smaller sites with fair payment take off. Maybe someone like p5 could get their search working a bit better (maybe it already is for all I know, I haven't messed with it lately) and gain some traction. In fact w/ the ability to set price and 50% to the artist, P5 would probably be my choice of a site to take off. I'd like to see faster reviews there too, but faster sales are a much higher priority.

My real dream would be for buyers to recognize just how low the percentage to the artists is and move towards the sites that pay more fairly.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 13:33 »
The other thread is not inherently positive or negative.  You can post your "hopes" there.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 14:17 »
+4
I hope that Canva gets it's queue fixed. My portfolio (600+) has been uploaded there since last Summer with only 60 reviewed. I'm getting sales everyday, but they haven't even reviewed my best sellers yet.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 14:40 »
First thing I thought is P5 and Alamy get first places in Poll collumn... All I want is fair treating and satisfying pricing now.

Oh, and I hope I won't loose any more time on dozens of new dreamers - agencies with no money and no clients, promising miracles from nothing...

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 15:20 »
+1
awhile back i was heavy-handed with ss, because of their lack of transparency,etc. they have since then been showing signs of going back to be the #1 we made them for many years .
so, i am optimistic with ss. as for the others, wellllllll, there is really, as Mantis puts it in the ds thread, no others.
but i am all for a facelift with anyone, bigstock, alamy, whoever, so long as i read here that others are getting sales finally with them; then i will join that agency even if it has a stinky sounding name .
but for now, no matter how impressive their names are, i am , to quote sweet Shania, not impressed.

the ball is in their court , really. show me they have the stuff to get sales, and i will be there.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 15:52 »
+1
The other thread is not inherently positive or negative.  You can post your "hopes" there.

That thread is for "predictions".  This is for "hopes".  There can be quite a difference.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 15:56 »

That thread is for "predictions".  This is for "hopes".  There can be quite a difference.

Lol, yeah, ok.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 16:35 »
+6
I have no hopes for microstock.  It's over for me.

What I do hope for is a better POD.  FAA has a lot of it right (setting our own prices, reading IPTC, arbitrary image sizes) but total absence of inspection or curation has filled it with junk, and the only way they deal with that is to flood the search results with their big sellers.  The site is also painfully dated and clunky in appearance.

I want to see a new, sharp-looking POD site that ONLY accepts quality, BUT doesn't enforce some narrow-minded ideas of 'art'.  Just good photography, regardless of whether it's a hipster's art school project or a straight on photo of a barn.   

dbvirago

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 18:39 »
+1
Hope sales continue the rise I have seen in the last 3 years. Hope I continue to find new outlets to sell my images outside the micro model. Hope my camera stops making mistakes

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 04:37 »
+6
No hope! Just emptiness and fog... And drums, I hear drums in the distance...

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 05:05 »

Oh, and I hope I won't loose any more time on dozens of new dreamers - agencies with no money and no clients, promising miracles from nothing...

As SS big fan I got to say, only companies that invest in actual sales will win and have my hopes for. (Just check out their job boards and you will get the answers!)

All the others are just experimenting with our files. 

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:37 »
+1
No hope here, only concreteness

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:43 »
I'd love to see one or more of the smaller sites with fair payment take off. Maybe someone like p5 could get their search working a bit better (maybe it already is for all I know, I haven't messed with it lately) and gain some traction. In fact w/ the ability to set price and 50% to the artist, P5 would probably be my choice of a site to take off. I'd like to see faster reviews there too, but faster sales are a much higher priority.

My real dream would be for buyers to recognize just how low the percentage to the artists is and move towards the sites that pay more fairly.

+1

In addition to P5, I hope featurepics takes off - easy uploading, fast, reasonable reviews, 50% commissions and no subs.  This year was the best yet there, but still very slow behind the others.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47 »
+3

Sadly, buyers don't care about it and never will. All they want is quality, trust and low pricing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:00 by SSArtist »

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05 »
But mainly low prices unfortunately - that's why Walmart has been so successful.  I'm not convinced they care about quality if something almost as good is cheaper - that's what allowed microstock to flourish in the first place.

H2O

This user is banned.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 09:18 »
That all the agencies increase there prices by 1 or 2 cents

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40 »
+11
I hope..........BIGSTOCK is unsuccessful with their penny video scheme

I hope..........DP folds

I hope..........FT management is excommunicated & Adobe creates a better buyer experience and enhanced partnership with suppliers

I hope..........P5 gets better traction as a still imagery outlet

I hope..........IS rethinks their video commissions and ups them to more reasonable rates

I hope......... I am able to meet my goal of creating 1,000 videos in 2015

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 22:59 by Mantis »

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07 »
But mainly low prices unfortunately - that's why Walmart has been so successful.  I'm not convinced they care about quality if something almost as good is cheaper - that's what allowed microstock to flourish in the first place.

Hmm... prime buyers do care about quality and liability too.
Glad to see SS is opening premier deals - http://www.shutterstock.com/video/business-solutions/

Snow

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03 »
+7
My hope is to move out of this shady microstock business.
After 4 years I've had more then enough of these agencies, manipulating our reviews/exposure/sales/earnings to max out their profit while reducing ours. Besides that there's always some deal popping up to screw us even more. Thanks to all you guys on MSG for keeping us updated on these matters. This is the only reason I still check this forum on a regular basis.
We might as well call ourselves digital prostitutes, and cheap ones I might add!

Good luck to all in 2015, noobs and vets, pro's and hobbyists!

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 13:46 »
+1
My hope is I will not hold on to false hopes and just do it.  :P

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 14:04 »
+3
Hopes and predictions are inherently different though. I predict there is no hope.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 14:09 »
+2
And I hope my predictions don't come true.    :)

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 15:44 »
+2
My hope is to move out of this shady microstock business.

;)  actually there is a better way to make money viz write a book, produce a movie about money-laundering in the microstock market. could  be nominated for 2016
 Best Independent Movies Award

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 23:00 »
+6
1. I hope enough contributors stop contributing to stock as a whole so that demand outweighs supply and prices start going back up.

2. I hope the average royalty stock websites pay contributors goes up past 50%.

#2 wont happen unless #1 happens. I believe #1 is already happening but has a long way to go before the supply stagnates enough.