pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: More money coming?  (Read 3708 times)

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« on: December 23, 2014, 17:16 »
Hi there,
You reached the next redeemed credit level this year. Nice work!
Weve applied the new rate retroactively and added $0 to your account.

Please accept our apologies for the delay.

The iStock Team

Wasn't that the forerunner for getting unpaid dues before?
Or amd I being over-optimistic? - what was it the last time?

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 17:46 »
I believe this is Getty preparing to change the name from "IStock" to "IStuck"....
Merry Christmas, Sue! Enjoy all that newfound wealth!

KB

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 17:55 »
It wasn't just an erroneous email? I don't recall it leading to anything. Unless it happened when everyone's RC count was reset to 0. That lead eventually to them having to pay the difference between the base commission rate and the rate that those who were above the base were supposed to be paid.

I didn't get this email this time, though.

The next email might read:
Weve applied the new rate retroactively and added -$1,000,000 to your account.
so be glad it was a $0.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 19:07 »
Don't spend it all in the same shop  ;D

ShadySue

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 19:09 »
Oh, KB - how soon you forget: the last time was only in October, and several people (including me) got money we were owed. I got over $100.
http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=363577

But of course, past performance does not necessarily predict future results.

ShadySue

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 19:12 »
Ah, it was just one file this time:
"The following file(s) were recently licensed to an iStock customer in a transaction that did not occur through the website:
XXX
We have made an adjustment to your account and added your royalty from the license(s), which totals $40.84.
Sincerely,
The iStock Team

Still, I'll take it and be happy.  :)

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 19:14 »
+3
I got one of those congrats e-mails this afternoon and about $23.xx has appeared in my balance from nowhere.

I had been in touch with support after the last round of extras as they were selling (in all but one case) additional licenses for images they were no longer entitled to license at all (images I had deactivated). They said they were looking into it and would get back to me...

They really are incompetent.

This time - I just got another e-mail with the image number - the image is one still active with them, so it is legit. Where legit = they are entitled to sell licenses for it although I don't like the idea that I have no idea what rights were sold for my $24.51 and if RCs ever did matter again, you don't get any for these off-books specials.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 19:18 by Jo Ann Snover »

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 21:25 »
+3
Un ( not really ) believable.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 21:58 »
Every time I look at the poll numbers on the right and think, maybe I really should put my stuff on istock, somebody starts a thread like this and saves me.

Thanks.......:-)

ShadySue

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 22:06 »
+1
Every time I look at the poll numbers on the right and think, maybe I really should put my stuff on istock, somebody starts a thread like this and saves me.

A thread about getting a decent value sale puts you off?

I've seen these cheering threads on another forum:

"i got 3.78$ for 6 credits sale on 22/12"

"Unbelievable - i just sold a file for $ 8,03. A nice welcome Christmas present"

"4,14$  right now, thank you"

So by comparison, $40.84 sounds good to me.

However, if your normal is $100 per licence sold, $40.84 sounds pretty bad.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 15:11 by ShadySue »

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:57 »

Maybe I misunderstood.  I took it as a negative post.

I do have a debate with myself regarding istock.  I am not sure I want another agency though the poll results indicate I should add them.  But all the drama and negativity surrounding them here always puts me off again.

Since perhaps you have a different opinion, do you think it worth the time to join them now?  I have a lttle over 4,000 images on SS and others.

ShadySue

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 09:37 »

Maybe I misunderstood.  I took it as a negative post.

I do have a debate with myself regarding istock.  I am not sure I want another agency though the poll results indicate I should add them.  But all the drama and negativity surrounding them here always puts me off again.

Since perhaps you have a different opinion, do you think it worth the time to join them now?  I have a lttle over 4,000 images on SS and others.

I'm not sure how getting a good value sale could be construed as negative, though JoAnn's point about them not giving us more details about how OUR files are being used is valid.

I can't comment on your personal port.
(I know that I would get very few sales on SS, but others seem to do well there.)
Any remnant of good feelings I had about iS vanished when they introduced compulsory subs. But you can see thereby that I wouldn't be well disposed towards any others. We all have to decide what we can or can't tolerate and go with that.

If your files fill a desireable unfilled niche there, they might do well.

I am finding (as are many [apparently not all] others) that newly-uploaded files are dying a death. This has been happening since something major happened there at the end of September 2012. Even before that there was the 'curse of the download', whereby a file, on getting its first download, was demoted in the best match, and it took ten downloads to get it revived again, which was difficult once a file was on the back page of best match where I found my 'few times downloaded' files for a while.

Of course, as an indie, you'd have the advantage that your files are cheaper than most files by exlcusives, as our more expensive files can be filtered out in a search. Most (but not all) established contrubutors are finding their sales there diminishing almost month on month.
Many people here complain about their upload system. It's what I'm used to and it's easier than Alamy, so I can't say. Most use DeepMeta for uploading (I don't though I find the prog useful and fun for other things), which they apparently find easier.

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 21:21 »
Thank you ShadySue, I appreciate your input and the time taken to post.

Best,
John

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 00:37 »
+2
Happy here.  I got around $200 extra.  These kind of mistakes are the ones I would want to see more.