pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock sales is sinking deeply...  (Read 101520 times)

stock-will-eat-itself

« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2015, 11:06 »
+7
I'm guessing the iStock subs are taking effect, they've picked up quite considerably, bound to eat into SS. The Fotolia to Adobe API will do the same when it goes live.

The wind will be taken out of their sails this year, they'll have to adapt over the next few years or be content with losing market share.

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2015, 13:08 »
+3

going back to topic, has anyone seen any chg to the sales in the last week or even the last couple of days???  almost 6 days left and it looks like sales dried up with the email eff-up. ask me i think IT eff-up also has the client side buying out of whack too. how else do you explain why sales suddenly dry up???
looking at right 91.2%
I have to agree. Seems like the image DB may have been corrupted and the index needs to rebuild from backup or the SE was knocked out of alignment and for what it's worth they're not going to say of course. No OD's in two weeks either, what's up with that?

« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2015, 23:34 »
I have to agree. Seems like the image DB may have been corrupted and the index needs to rebuild from backup or the SE was knocked out of alignment and for what it's worth they're not going to say of course. No OD's in two weeks either, what's up with that?

3days to march 1 ... unless a miracle suddenly brings OD to numbers of $28-120
looks like a grim month again. does anything works at all over there in ss these days...
other than moderators at the forum locking thread??? >:(

« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2015, 23:32 »
+10
Despite of continuous uploading, sales have been going down for last several weeks  :(

dpimborough

« Reply #254 on: April 16, 2015, 04:57 »
+7
Sinking?? More like freefall this month 50% down on last month.  :'(

« Reply #255 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14 »
+1
i have low sales last two weeks, , but its getting better, this week could be better, we see how much od will be today

« Reply #256 on: April 16, 2015, 19:03 »
i have low sales last two weeks, , but its getting better, this week could be better, we see how much od will be today

In the Western world there is an annual vacation called 'Easter'. It's happening right now. When fewer people are working then fewer images tend to be downloaded.

Bizarrely it appears to have happened at roughly the same time each year for the entire 10 years I've been selling microstock images. How weird is that?!

« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2015, 19:44 »
+1

In the Western world there is an annual vacation called 'Easter'. It's happening right now. When fewer people are working then fewer images tend to be downloaded.

Bizarrely it appears to have happened at roughly the same time each year for the entire 10 years I've been selling microstock images. How weird is that?!

I didn't observe the same trend in last couple of years. It's just in this year for me.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2015, 19:48 »
+3
It looks like the after-Easter decline to me. Easter just happened to come early this year. Last year it was April 20th.

« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2015, 04:13 »
Yestarday was again  little lower.
more reasons could be problem:
1. too much upload ( too many contributors on this boat ( also new))
2. subs on IS
3. new subscriptions plans
4. in march you buy images to finish projects  before summer, maybe
5. customers already have enough old images

« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2015, 05:20 »
+2
Yestarday was again  little lower.
more reasons could be problem:
1. too much upload ( too many contributors on this boat ( also new))
2. subs on IS
3. new subscriptions plans
4. in march you buy images to finish projects  before summer, maybe
5. customers already have enough old images
6. Could be also the economy and some projects being shelved.

In addition, some image buyers must have used their budget on acquiring SS shares rather than the actual images (as evidenced by almost 20% rise of SS share prices in the last month).

« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2015, 19:29 »
For me, OOD sales are sinking... And NO SODs in April  :(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 22:49 by 60D »

« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2015, 21:05 »
+1
From last Dec,sales of Shutterstock started to being sinking and sinking and never come back :(. more photo uploaded,more visitor on photo portfolio,more nice photo ( i suppose) but less download. It really not good.

The most important fact left out - more pictures on Shutterstock (fifty millions more)

« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2015, 21:40 »
+6
Today and last monday were just like a weekend and this has been happening more often.

« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2015, 00:17 »
+1
Had a monumental last weekend and was looking set for a best week ever, then had an abysmal Wed to Fri. Not typical of SS which I usually find very consistent.

« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2015, 23:08 »
+6
This was the worst week after the last week of December 2014.  :(

« Reply #266 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37 »
Really bad. I saw many times that my sales are coming mostly from searches. This week it was nearly impossible to find my ss images by search. There was no problem with all other sites

« Reply #267 on: July 12, 2015, 06:34 »
Comparing my earnings in the first 11 days of July 2015 vs July 2014:

SS up 10%
FT up 35%

(Port size up about 30% during this period, so I'm not thrilled with that SS number.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:36 by stockmarketer »

« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2015, 07:13 »
+1
I have grow this year at all sites, except ss. Every EL at ss is a reason for several days fall down after.

« Reply #269 on: July 12, 2015, 08:50 »
In SS, my port size is up by 40% compared to last year's June. And my income is down by 25% compared to last years June. July is even worse.

It seems like I have already hit the wall. Keep uploading doesn't help me at all. I'm thinking of stop uploading for sometime and see what will happen. Do you think that the income will drop down rapidly?

« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2015, 08:56 »
In SS, my port size is up by 40% compared to last year's June. And my income is down by 25% compared to last years June. July is even worse.

It seems like I have already hit the wall. Keep uploading doesn't help me at all. I'm thinking of stop uploading for sometime and see what will happen. Do you think that the income will drop down rapidly?

My guess is that it would flatline for a bit and slowly start to decend
New i ages dont seem to help, they may get a few sales but unless you have some that sell almost everyday, hey quickly get buried
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:58 by noodle »

« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07 »
lol, did u all come here after ss moderator deleted Laurin's comment re this?
not sure if i missed something ...but i thought he had commented on this issue
and then when i went back to see what else, that comment was gone.

btt, yes, it is dismal. and Laurin did say it was the search causing the downfall for all old portfolio earnings. he said something like "when i see some oldie get download " ... can't remember the rest,
but it was to say that old image suddenly get download but all the regular sales just bottomed out
for weeks.  same thing for me too. nothing like that ever happened before.
usually it last a few days, not weeks, ..

what about you others???

« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2015, 18:44 »
+3

I hardly uploaded anything this year and sales are declining at about the same rate as before when I was working my a_s_s off.   Even had a unusually  good June, so it seems like uploading doesn't  make much difference.

De

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2015, 01:08 »
+20
Also decline here, no matter if upload or not, go more exclusive or not, its the same downward trend. SS is the only one I care about since it accounts for probably 80% of my microstock earnings. FT is much worse btw and other agencies are of no more importance to me.
Good luck to those who are starting out and want to take this business seriously, yikes!
This business is dying for many of us so now is probably the best time to seek other outlets for your stock/art and react to the decline by holding uploads or removing work from portfolio's. If we keep whining while continue uploading or keeping our work online the agencies get the upper hand and continue their path of greed, simple as that.
The ones doing well in micro these days are becoming very rare. It's just not worth the time and effort anymore unless you live in a lower standard country or use this as a hobby.
I've seen people brag about their sales on the SS forum but these guys upload fine art (ex skylines and landscapes) that are probably bought for a few pennies and then sold on print for hundreds of dollars. I do not envy them, on the contrary, I pity them for thinking they make good money while they don't have a clue what they leave on the table.
Others invest more then they get out of this by renting models, locations, props, gear and what not.
It's always a lose-lose situation for us no matter how you look at it.
Not to mention why we are so eager to put each other down instead of being more unite. The action that many (including myself) took towards DPC was a good example of how we should react to these manipulations.
If more established contributors would come forward people would realise this decline is spread out amongst many and we need to do something about it. But no, they rather hide in the corner and pray for better times again or that it will only affect their fellow contributors. Some pro's, afraid for retaliation so they rather keep their pants down and bent over.

::)

« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54 »
Also decline here, no matter if upload or not, go more exclusive or not, its the same downward trend. SS is the only one I care about since it accounts for probably 80% of my microstock earnings. FT is much worse btw and other agencies are of no more importance to me.
Good luck to those who are starting out and want to take this business seriously, yikes!
This business is dying for many of us so now is probably the best time to seek other outlets for your stock/art and react to the decline by holding uploads or removing work from portfolio's. If we keep whining while continue uploading or keeping our work online the agencies get the upper hand and continue their path of greed, simple as that.
The ones doing well in micro these days are becoming very rare. It's just not worth the time and effort anymore unless you live in a lower standard country or use this as a hobby.
I've seen people brag about their sales on the SS forum but these guys upload fine art (ex skylines and landscapes) that are probably bought for a few pennies and then sold on print for hundreds of dollars. I do not envy them, on the contrary, I pity them for thinking they make good money while they don't have a clue what they leave on the table.
Others invest more then they get out of this by renting models, locations, props, gear and what not.
It's always a lose-lose situation for us no matter how you look at it.
Not to mention why we are so eager to put each other down instead of being more unite. The action that many (including myself) took towards DPC was a good example of how we should react to these manipulations.
If more established contributors would come forward people would realise this decline is spread out amongst many and we need to do something about it. But no, they rather hide in the corner and pray for better times again or that it will only affect their fellow contributors. Some pro's, afraid for retaliation so they rather keep their pants down and bent over.

::)

Couldn't have put it better myself.