MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Pond5 launches The Public Domain Project  (Read 55587 times)

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 17:12 »
How about the "our contributor console doesn't strip out capital letters" project? How's that coming along?

O. M. G.

They fixed it.

OMG can somebody inform Sean about it?...It took him almost 2 years of begging to get this fixed.
Party time  8) - http://www.microstockgroup.com/off-topic/how-to-waste-money-on-promoting-free-content/msg406671/?topicseen#new

Haha... indeed. Thanks, Jonathan! Finally someone listened to us.

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 23:12 »
+8
... must ... find ... defibrillator ... to ...restart heart...

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2015, 11:43 »
+2
... must ... find ... defibrillator ... to ...restart heart...

hahahahahah now that gave me my Sunday chuckle.

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 16:59 »
+2
Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but it's hard for me to see how yet more free images, more readily available, will increase sales in the long run.   In the short run it may bring business to Pond5 at the expense of other agencies.  Once they're all forced to offer PD imagery, any "purchase" of a PD image arguably comes at the expense of a real sale. 

Of course eventually the agencies may find legal ways to profit from PD images - say, by making it part of a subscription package.   I look forward to the exciting news.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 17:30 by stockastic »

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 17:33 »
+6
Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but it's hard for me to see how yet more free images, more readily available, will increase sales in the long run.   In the short run it may bring business to Pond5 at the expense of other agencies.  Once they're all forced to offer PD imagery, any "purchase" of a PD image arguably comes at the expense of a real sale. 

Of course eventually the agencies may find legal ways to profit from PD images - say, by making it part of a subscription package.   I look forward to the exciting news.

I agree. That's every micro's go-to statement. Remember Alamy? We're cutting your commissions to 50% to fund the opening of a US office but we expect your sales to go up once we do this.  Since then my sales have dropped by 75% and never recovered.

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 18:09 »
+2
Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but it's hard for me to see how yet more free images, more readily available, will increase sales in the long run.   In the short run it may bring business to Pond5 at the expense of other agencies. Once they're all forced to offer PD imagery, any "purchase" of a PD image arguably comes at the expense of a real sale. 

This is all a PR stunt in attempt to increase web site traffic. And probably it did increase it and possibly sales jumped a bit for very short time (yet to see that though!).
BUT the question is how many more PR stunts like this they have to organize to be able to constantly keep traffic up and therefore potentially increase sales? And how risky this approach is?  :o

I only wish they invested in promoting our media files as much as they did promote this free offer gig. It's kind of a bad taste to brag so much about public domain free stuff, as our files don't exist!  >:(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 18:47 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 16:50 »
Heya gang,

Indeed, they did fix the metadata problem! One of you kind folks was nice enough to spend some time talking with me in PM, and I was able to get the information I needed so that our team could correct the problem. I wish I could have been around to make the announcement when it went live, but I've spent the past few weeks serving jury duty. I'm a huge fan of Law and Order, so I was kind of excited initially, but it was honestly one of the most boring and patience trying experiences of my life.

I can appreciate why you'd think the PD project is a publicity stunt. And let's be honest, to an extent it is! The whole idea is that we want to do something big and new, that no one else has done before, in order to stand out and get attention. But there's more to it than just that. The PD project also aligns with our company values. We truly believe that public domain content should be free, and there shouldn't be any barriers for artists who just want to create. We're not done with PD, we plan to continue the project, and will continue to add to the archive. We've already been contacted by several very excited owners of private public domain collections, and they're all eager to join us.

I've seen the complaint that Pond5 isn't advertising your uploads enough, and this always confuses me. Surely you don't expect that we would pay for and run advertising campaigns for each individual seller on Pond5, right? But we completely understand that you need ways to get the word out about your wares, especially new items. That's why we added the social media sharing options to our collections feature. You can share collections of your uploads over Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ right from inside Pond5. There are also embed codes on the item pages that you can use to advertise your items. Those codes will allow you to embed our Pond5 previews into your website.

If what you mean is more that we don't advertise Pond5 enough in general though, then I'll see what I can find out about our campaigns if you like. We have a whole marketing department, and a budget for advertising, so I know we are doing those things. But I'm in a different department, so I don't know the details. If you're interested, I'll see what I can find out and what I might be able to share with you all here.

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 03:46 »
+1

If what you mean is more that we don't advertise Pond5 enough in general though, then I'll see what I can find out about our campaigns if you like. We have a whole marketing department, and a budget for advertising, so I know we are doing those things. But I'm in a different department, so I don't know the details. If you're interested, I'll see what I can find out and what I might be able to share with you all here.

Jonathan, sorry to hear we confused you ... We haven't seen a single campaign promoting our media files in long time! Nobody expects you to advertise us individually - although you obviously have your favorites (!!!) https://www.facebook.com/pond5/posts/10153117910329777

So yes, please ask your marketing team why is that...if anything else, out of respect to all of us who helped you get that 30,000 square feet office space in fancy Soho.  8)

As I said above... I found it absolutely tasteless to brag so much about public domain free stuff, as our files don't exist at all.
And not just to brag only, to give awards for its usage too - http://www.mandy.com/1/board2.cfm?v=62891147
 :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:50 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 14:31 »

Jonathan, sorry to hear we confused you ... We haven't seen a single campaign promoting our media files in long time! Nobody expects you to advertise us individually - although you obviously have your favorites (!!!) https://www.facebook.com/pond5/posts/10153117910329777

So yes, please ask your marketing team why is that...if anything else, out of respect to all of us who helped you get that 30,000 square feet office space in fancy Soho.  8)

As I said above... I found it absolutely tasteless to brag so much about public domain free stuff, as our files don't exist at all.
And not just to brag only, to give awards for its usage too - http://www.mandy.com/1/board2.cfm?v=62891147

Couldn't agree more!   Who said we want you to advertise us individually?  Johnathan,  don't insult our intelligence with such a silly comment. 

We want you to advertise your paid content that you built your site with, instead of spending all the advertising budget you got from OUR content promoting FREE content that undercuts our business. 

Are you still confused?  If you are, you might need medical help. 

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 02:54 »
+2

Couldn't agree more!   Who said we want you to advertise us individually?  Johnathan,  don't insult our intelligence with such a silly comment. 

We want you to advertise your paid content that you built your site with, instead of spending all the advertising budget you got from OUR content promoting FREE content that undercuts our business. 

But they do. I often see Pond5 ads banners on Facebook with my own clips in them. Although it's not because they decided to promote my portfolio. It's happening because I've clicked on those particular clips on the Pond5 website earlier, so the system assumed I am a potential buyer.

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2015, 06:38 »

But they do. I often see Pond5 ads banners on Facebook with my own clips in them. Although it's not because they decided to promote my portfolio. It's happening because I've clicked on those particular clips on the Pond5 website earlier, so the system assumed I am a potential buyer.

If so, that's a money waste!

Today you are more likely to die in a plane crash than click on a banner for a particular campaign.

The average banner ad has a 0.1% clickthrough rate (CTR), and the standard 468x60 banner has a 0.04% CTR.

http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/horrifying-display-advertising-stats

AND banner blindness explained

http://andrewchen.co/the-law-of-crappy-clickthroughs/

:)

And if you are looking closely at FB likes on P5 page you will clearly see that likes are paid and not natural. So many Indians, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Brazilians...all paid to click like on P5 posts.   :o

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 14:38 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 04:21 »
+1

They just love promoting free content  >:(

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2015, 22:07 »
And more and more.... >:(  >:(  >:(  :o  :o  :o
https://www.facebook.com/pond5/posts/10153498408009777

super tasteless!

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2015, 22:52 »
+1
Wonderful.  :(

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2015, 01:12 »
+1
They just wanted to show that they don't need you anymore. They can live with free stuff and their favorited contributors.
Read their post, where sleng is used.