pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Enlarging sales in Microstock - new sites  (Read 11158 times)

« on: January 21, 2015, 05:39 »
I am selling my stock images in the following sites -
Shutterstock, iStock. Fotolia, Dreamstime, Big Stock, Depositphotos, Can Stock, 123RF, YAY and Stockphoto Media.
Sales in most of them are quite steady.

Depositphotos is quite new to me and is doing very well - beyond what I expected.

In iStock there is a HUGE drop in sales! Do you experience the same? Any idea why?

Beyond this - I am looking for new Microstock sites in order to increase my sales.
Any suggestions?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:49 »
+3
In iStock there is a HUGE drop in sales! Do you experience the same? Any idea why?
Yes, many people are experiencing this.
Probably  because they've converted a high proportion of their remaining buyers to subs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 16:48 by ShadySue »

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57 »
+3
Look at the poll on the right of this screen. That is essentially all things micro stock.  And who, as a guide, makes artists the most money.  Results very but that is the guide we use here for discussion purposes.  You can expand your work in fine art sites (if you shoot that kind of stuff) or you can go sell RM on Alamy or even RF on Alamy. Sales for me are few and far between (2-4 a month) but can be $30 to $200 each sale, for which I get 50%.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:49 »
Probably  because they've converted a high proprotion of their remaining buyers to subs.

If this is the case - then sales would go down slowly. But this is NOT the case - sales dropped down almost over night! This, I do not understand...

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54 »
+2
Probably  because they've converted a high proprotion of their remaining buyers to subs.

If this is the case - then sales would go down slowly. But this is NOT the case - sales dropped down almost over night! This, I do not understand...
They converted five credits into one credit, so all of a sudden people who were able to buy five images found they could only buy one. I wouldn't be surprised if, once their few remaining credits were used, they went over to subs or to another site.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 22:25 »
+9
New Sites? You mean most of the old ones haven't cheated and used you enough?

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 23:28 »

No, not at all - I am just looking for more new sites in order to increase sales.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:18 »
Stocksy
Self-Hosted
Canva
PhotoSpin
SignElements
PhotoCase
FeaturePics
PantherMedia
MostPhotos
Zoonar
ClipDealer
VectorStock
Pixta
Stockfresh
MotionElements
PhotoKore
YayMicro
Crestock
The3dStudio
Cutcaster
ClipartOf
Clipcanvas
DrawShop
Vivozoom
ScanStockPhoto
Macrografiks
photaki
Stockami
ViscoImages
ImageVortex

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 11:23 »
+5

No, not at all - I am just looking for more new sites in order to increase sales.
There are only e few sites, where you can make money. All the others are playground if you have your port online on the first mentioned few sites.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 21:36 »
That's quite a list.

How is picastock? They've been sending out loads of requests lately and it has a 50% commission structure as well

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 13:00 »
Hi, you can take a look to mymicrostockupload.com on the bottom you will find all easy to deliver agencies. But currently only the first 20 generating money.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 18:44 »
Look at the poll on the right of this screen. That is essentially all things micro stock.  And who, as a guide, makes artists the most money.  Results very but that is the guide we use here for discussion purposes.  You can expand your work in fine art sites (if you shoot that kind of stuff) or you can go sell RM on Alamy or even RF on Alamy. Sales for me are few and far between (2-4 a month) but can be $30 to $200 each sale, for which I get 50%.

name some fine art sites you share your works with ...thanks

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 18:48 »

)
name some fine art sites you share your works with ...thanks

I don't have any after I dumped FAA (or will be dumping them in March when my subscription runs out
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:56 by Mantis »

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 21:05 »
Vectorstock is okay if you sell vectors, but I wouldn't really recommend any of the other sites.
Sales are so slow that it is not worth the time to upload.

Unlike most people posting, my iStock sales have gone up over the last few months.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:14 »
Vectorstock is okay if you sell vectors, but I wouldn't really recommend any of the other sites.

Unlike most people posting, my iStock sales have gone up over the last few months.

Here is my letter to iStock - Can you explain the SHARP DROP in sales in your site? 3 images in 2 months!!!

ShadySue

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:12 »
Here is my letter to iStock - Can you explain the SHARP DROP in sales in your site? 3 images in 2 months!!!
If you get anything other than "We have checked your account and it is correct", please let us know!
Actually, I'm thinking of firing off a similar post myself, other than I'm sure that will be the answer.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 06:26 »
+1
If you get anything other than "We have checked your account and it is correct", please let us know!
Actually, I'm thinking of firing off a similar post myself, other than I'm sure that will be the answer.

The last answer to a similar question was that I do not have enough pictures of Christmas subjects...I do not expect much.
Sales are so low to a degree where I consider stopping uploading the iStock.
BTW - the uploading process is the slowest and most complicated than my other sites!

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 05:55 »

The last answer to a similar question was that I do not have enough pictures of Christmas subjects...I do not expect much.
Sales are so low to a degree where I consider stopping uploading the iStock.
BTW - the uploading process is the slowest and most complicated than my other sites!

Well, I finally have a reply from iStock. I have asked them if they can explain the sharp drop in sales.
Here is their answer - We recommend that contributors not only keyword properly but also shoot according to the creative briefs and really take a look at what is needed. iStock's collection grows every day and, while I understand your frustration,  it's become increasingly important to remain competitive be continuously uploading unique content.....

To this answer I replied by asking how come that my portfolio was good enough to create income some months ago and suddenly sales dropped to almost zero???
Waiting for an answer...

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 06:07 »
You should write a letter and send it by regular mail. Perhaps generates enough attention to become well read by others. The support is outsourced often. Does not really make much sense to bother the support :)

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 06:36 »
You should write a letter and send it by regular mail. Perhaps generates enough attention to become well read by others. The support is outsourced often. Does not really make much sense to bother the support :)

Perhaps it is a good idea!
Even though I am close on giving up on iStock...

ShadySue

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50 »
+1
Well, I finally have a reply from iStock. I have asked them if they can explain the sharp drop in sales.
Here is their answer - We recommend that contributors not only keyword properly but also shoot according to the creative briefs and really take a look at what is needed. iStock's collection grows every day and, while I understand your frustration,  it's become increasingly important to remain competitive be continuously uploading unique content.....
I read these briefs - I don't have access to the stuff they want but even if I did, they would be very expensive to set up, multiple models, hired sets etc. Even on Getty, it's easily possible to get <$1 on a sale, and if everyone was shooting to the briefs, competition on these expensive shoots would be intense.

To this answer I replied by asking how come that my portfolio was good enough to create income some months ago and suddenly sales dropped to almost zero???
Ay, there's the rub.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 08:09 »
+1
The reality is that if it was possible to say precisely which images made money, "we" as contributors wouldn't get a look in, as "they" would do their own shoots in house and take 100% of the profit. The system as it is works on this basic premise:
If there are enough people clicking shutter buttons at enough diverse subjects, then eventually they will get a usable image that sells.
(It's more or less the same principle as the infinite number of monkeys typing randomly, and coming up with the  entire works of Shakespeare) :)
My apologies to any monkeys offended by this. . .
We all know (or we should) what sells best and most, but like Liz says we don't all have access to it. Because it's known to sell, it's also hotly contested.
And as already said no one actually in the know will give any real explanation for why a PF that did make reasonable sales, can suddenly fall off it's perch.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 09:30 »

Waiting for an answer...

Over year ago I saw that my sales dropped there a lot and I asked iS what happened. They said the same - upload more work, everything is just fine, just work more and sales will come (maybe)... Many bad things were going on with iS at that period and their answer was like the stop dot at the and of sentence - time to give up.